Notices

round and round

Old 07-14-2010, 10:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

round and round

Hello all, I have been lurking on this forum for quite some time now, decided to regester today. Everyone here seems quite supportive, and knowledgeable.
After reading the these threads as well as dealing with my own addictions, its amazing to me how many forms addiction and alcoholism come in. Sometimes I think I am the only one who feels the way I do.
I began as a weekend warrier around 15, drinking 2-3 times per week by 21, progressing to drinking almost daily now. (early 30's) Usually about 6-10 beers on weeknights, a 12 pack on the weekends. Always had marijuana too, smoked it daily way before alcohol became a problem. I will do this for weeks, then realize I have a problem and/or feel guilty about it, and quit for a month or so, cold turkey. No withdrawls, I have urges, but they pass. Quit smoking about two months ago only to slip up this past weekend. Sometimes I think I don't have a problem because I can up and quit, and I limit myself to "only 6-10 beers" (usually 6) on weeknights and sometimes I dont drink at all on the weekends or all week. My cravings only hit about 3 pm, and last til 8 or so. Never have drank in the mornings (smoked though) and I have always led a productive life and career. I'm a 33 year old male in good health, with a wondeful wife who doesnt drink. I always told her if it wasnt a sin to drink, and and my health was good, I wouldn't ever quit. I think I may need too for these reasons though. I go to church and call myself a Christian and it bothers me that I may be letting God down. I aploogize for the rant but I guess I'm just venting, and would like some other's insight on this. BTW as of writing this its been 3 days since a drink, obviously I have been thinking about it though, hence my vicious circle.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I checkmybrain and welcome!

I'm glad you found this site and I hope you hang a round. I am new here as well, everyone on here seems to be super nice and supportive. I found this site last week and I am glad I joined.

I too can go long periods without drinking as you describe, and this is partly why I have ignored my problem until now (actually more like lying to myself that I don't have a problem).

Best wishes
~Sugar
Old 07-14-2010, 10:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on three days! The first several days can be rough so you're almost done with the physical w/d. Have you given any thought to how you're going to stay sober? I would suggest the time honored 'one day at a time'. Stay sober just for today, an achievable goal, just one day. Then when tomorrow becomes today, do it again...

There are lots of programs and methods for staying sober, AA, SMART, Women for Sobriety, in or out patient treatment, counseling, and some people here use only this site. So the way you choose isn't as important as how much effort you put into it. All the best to you. Lots of support here so use it!

Welcome to SR!
Old 07-14-2010, 10:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome check! So glad to have you as part of our community.

I think you're very wise to be questioning where your drinking habits may be leading. At your age I was still having fun with it - but my tolerance was growing without me realizing it. I remember feeling buzzed after a beer or two. Decades later I could drink a 30-pack in a day by myself. I would never have believed things could spin so out of control.

On my journey I ended up with dui's, health problems, loss of respect and trust, financial troubles - all because I took my eye off the ball and allowed alcohol to lead the way. I was a slave to it in the end, and that's the danger we're faced with. Only you can know how difficult it is to control your drinking - for me, there was no control in the end. I almost lost my life trying to moderate and turn my alcoholic drinking into social drinking.

Let us know how you're doing, and please keep posting.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have been sober for only 1 week so I really don't have a ton af helpful advice, but I can tell you this from my experience. You don't drink in the mornings? You will, it will get there. And the quanity of beer you mention, it will be at least double that before you know it. That is one of the few concrete facts about alcohol abuse is it progresses like wildfire out of nowhere. I was just like you describe for many years, and suddenly was drinking around the clock and couldn't stop. I was still being as functional as possible, still working/hanging with friends but if I was awake I was drinking or planning out when I could. It just gets worse so if you feel like you need to stop try it out, you will feel better and feel better about yourself!
Old 07-14-2010, 10:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sugar82 View Post
I checkmybrain and welcome!

I'm glad you found this site and I hope you hang a round. I am new here as well, everyone on here seems to be super nice and supportive. I found this site last week and I am glad I joined.

I too can go long periods without drinking as you describe, and this is partly why I have ignored my problem until now (actually more like lying to myself that I don't have a problem).

Best wishes
~Sugar

Thanks for the warm welcome, I plan on sticking around.

I read somewhere there is a difference in an alcoholic and a alcohol abuser. I think I fall into the latter (not that that's any better) but I drink specificcly to get a buzz, and quickly. I can put away about 8 beers in about 90 minutes, then go about my evening routine until the next day, unless I'm on one of my dry periods, when sometimes i dont even think about a drink. In the winter I will switch to jager, and not touch beer. Always on my very last shot, or beer, I will have only one cigerette, the only one of the day. If I'm not drinking, a cigarette gags me. Everyone that knows this about me says its odd behavior, I agree. Problems with alcohol sure have many ways of manifesting themselves.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Welcome check! So glad to have you as part of our community.

I think you're very wise to be questioning where your drinking habits may be leading. At your age I was still having fun with it - but my tolerance was growing without me realizing it. I remember feeling buzzed after a beer or two. Decades later I could drink a 30-pack in a day by myself. I would never have believed things could spin so out of control.

On my journey I ended up with dui's, health problems, loss of respect and trust, financial troubles - all because I took my eye off the ball and allowed alcohol to lead the way. I was a slave to it in the end, and that's the danger we're faced with. Only you can know how difficult it is to control your drinking - for me, there was no control in the end. I almost lost my life trying to moderate and turn my alcoholic drinking into social drinking.

Let us know how you're doing, and please keep posting.

It already feels better to talk to some others about this. With both parents, sister, and most friends who drink, its hard to get away from.
My habits are weird, even I don't understand them. On the 4th, there were 2 parties I atended where I did not drink, only to drink a six pack the next night. I kicked the years old marijuana habit for over 6 months only to relapse, taking two puffs last weekend. Marijuana for me was far easier to quit, though I miss it. After working hard all day I try to justify "relaxing" but my instincts are telling me otherwise. My red flag is I drink alone. Sometimes even prefer it. However after I drink, I become much more sociable.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Check!

If you think you have a problem then sure enough a problem will happen. As the other posters here say, that this addiction only escalates so get out while ya can. I can also relate to pounding them non stop and walk away smiling and carry on with business. That was my routine but turned into every day lately. I'm not a huge person (5'4" 115 lbs) and that's a lot of beer. Especially when I would grab a beer as soon as I woke up.

I thought I could be a social drinker a couple months ago and that turned into a 12 pk a day and now 2 days of sobriety and still feel the effects.

Being sober for the two prior years, I know how good I will feel about myself this time when the withdrawals subside.

Good luck to you friend!
Old 07-14-2010, 02:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi checkmybrain

here are the clinical definitions (US Dept of Health) for the difference between alcoholism and alcohol abuse.

Alcoholism or alcohol dependence is a diagnosable disease characterized by several factors, including a strong craving for alcohol, continued use despite harm or personal injury, the inability to limit drinking, physical illness when drinking stops, and the need to increase the amount drunk to feel the effects.

Alcohol abuse is a pattern of drinking that results in harm to one’s health, interpersonal relationships, or ability to work. Certain manifestations of alcohol abuse include failure to fulfill responsibilities at work, school or home; drinking in dangerous situations, such as while driving; legal problems associated with alcohol use; and continued drinking despite problems that are caused or worsened by drinking. Alcohol abuse can lead to alcohol dependence.
Whichever one you identify most with, it's a problem.

Good to have you with us
D