Notices

First post here - forth day dry

Old 07-08-2010, 02:19 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
JJB

I recently started to learn about how chronic use of alcohol changes ones limbic system in the base of the brain, allowing it to in effect lead the rest of the brain by the nose into doing what it knows is absolutely detrimental to its own good. It empowers me to know why the cravings are coming, that it isn't some unknown voice in my head urging me to drink.
I like the way you put that because I can't help questioning what I often read, comparing this disease to a human voice which lies to us. How can a disease be like a human? Your explanation is a bit clearer I think.

Thanks and welcome to SR
Old 07-08-2010, 02:37 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the SR family! You'll find lots of support and useful info here, so come here often, read read read, and post your questions and ideas. We ARE a family here and we're glad you joined us!
Old 07-08-2010, 03:00 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi Murray!

I am 4 days dry too! Your story sounds a lot like mine...I can relate and it totally made me feel less like a freak I lost interest in work, recreational activities I USED to love so much and my hubby told me that I had lost that "sparkle" in my eyes. I made a list too and sober life seemed so much better when I looked at that list.
Keep up the good work. We can do this!!! Even though some days we may feel like this
Old 07-08-2010, 03:12 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Murray, it's wonderful to have you with us. SR is responsible for my sobriety - after 25 yrs. of alcohol abuse I found the courage to stop after joining. I was no longer alone with my battle, and not afraid to talk about what I'd been through.

How ironic that we use alcohol to celebrate & relax with & it ends up being the thing that sucks the life out of us. I was drinking all day, every day - and no amount was enough to do the job. I was phoning it in, no longer participating in life or enjoying anything. At 2-1/2 yrs. sober, I'm getting to know myself for the first time. I'm sorry for all that I missed, but excited about what the future holds as I learn to live again.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:30 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Welcome, Murray!

I loved your post because it reminded me of all the, aha's and so that's why or that explains it information that I learned early on. So many things had begun to make so much sense to me.

The beauty is that every day in recovery, I continue to learn something new; it's a series of life lessons and I love that.

Good for you for getting honest with the pharmacist too. That's huge.

Before I got honest (mostly with myself), I was literally so sick from drinking that I began calling 911 on myself. When the same doctor saw me the second time, he asked, "Don't you think it's time for a change?"

My reply: "Yeah, I've been meaning to quit smoking." Duh. What a tool. lol. I wasn't honest then, but when I had had enough, I knew it.

Congrats on 5 days! Looking forward to sharing alot more learning experiences with you. Great folks here! Glad you're with us.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:19 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Thank you, thank you, thank you, from the bottom of my grateful heart, thank you for making me feel so at home here.

I've found my happy (and sober!) place

Murray