Notices

help there is a case of wine in my house

Old 07-06-2010, 10:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

help there is a case of wine in my house

It was my bday yesterday and my friend (who I. Didn't tell I quit sent me a case of wine. ) U.p.s just delivered it. I called and said thank you of course and didn't tell her I quit. Well luckily most is red that I hate. But there are 4 bottles of white. She got from a catalog some wines are called "bitch" some are called devil. This is hard because. Well because. I could give them to neighbours.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

oh yeah...get rid of wine ASAP. Too tempting!
Old 07-06-2010, 11:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Do you know anyone who has a birthday upcoming? SIL? MIL? other family? office colleagues.

being frugal, i would get tissuepaper, gift bags and wrap them up....then take them somewhere until the occasion comes around....
Old 07-06-2010, 11:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Bo, if it freaks you out that this is in the house, you should find a new home for the wine. I don't have any parties or dinner guests (it's been eons), so I don't have any. It's possible that I could manage to have it in the house and not go near it on my own, but it's my choice not to do that, and I don't need to play any games of "how much do I trust myself." The fact that I can't drink is number one.

Re-gift it. It'll feel bad, but that's another story. Maybe you have to think about telling that friend about your quitting, so that you eliminate these awkward situations that are not worth tiptoeing around. But don't try to solve that today. File it in your To Think About list.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

If even having the wine in the house is enough to cause you discomfort, either give it away immediately or just pour it out. I'm not so sure about wrapping it up and saving it for a gift or something; you'll still know it's in the house and may hear that siren calling. If you can get rid of it now, so much the better.

When I stopped drinking, I had a few beers in my fridge. Thought about saving them for when a buddy came over, 'cause I don't like to waste money. But I thought about how I would think about the beers being there, and I just poured them out. Next day I found some in my car, and immediately gave them to a buddy at work, or else I would have poured them out.

It may be difficult to just dump a birthday gift, but your recovery is much more important than hanging on to bottles of wine for the "right" occasion.

Happy Birthday to you, bochuck!
Old 07-06-2010, 11:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

if it bothers you get rid of it NOW. you have control over this situation.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Turn this into an empowering moment for yourself and pass the wine on to friends/family or neighbours.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Dump the wine, and then tell your friend the truth bochuck.

This sobriety thing is hard enough without putting yourself in situations like this, B.
D
Old 07-06-2010, 03:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I still don't keep alcohol in the house, and it makes life much simpler.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
JJB

Wow I would find that really hard. if you're like me, the white wine will sit there and call out to you.
Try and think of someone you know who is able to drink sensibly and who it isn't going to end up killing and offer it as a present to them.
I would do it as fast as possible or is there someone you trust who could do it for you?
I remember my hb used to hide my bottles of wine and then when he saw that I wasn't drinking anymore he put it back in the fridge!!!!!
The result was inevitable and it took me a long time to stop again so I really suggest strongly you get rid of it straightaway.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The only way to get through this is with honesty. To your friend and yourself. Dump the wine. It will do far less damage going down the sink then it would going into your body. Don't think of it as a waste, think of it as empowering!!

Old 07-06-2010, 05:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Maybe take it next door and say it isn't your taste......
Old 07-06-2010, 05:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I think I would call the friend who gave it to me and say that I'd forgotten to tell them I quit drinking and would they like it back? If I were the friend who gave it I'd be upset if it was all poured down the sink. I'd offer to give it back to the giver, with gratitude that they thought of me and diplomatic apologies as to why I can't keep it.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Toro Solo

better to give than to receive.. your friend gave it to you because they thought you'd appreciate it. What you do with it is up to you.. You must have friends who would appreciate it and you will get the pleasure of giving.... or you can send it to me and I'll put it with all the others... my wife will gladly take care of it for you
nn
Old 07-06-2010, 10:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Wandering Student of Life

I'm betting they're gonna end up asking you what you thought about the taste, or at least if you enjoyed it, at some point in the future.

If it were me, I'd have a hard time fessing up that I either dumped it or re-gifted it. If you're the same way, it might be time to come clean - give them a call and expression your appreciation for the thoughtfulness of the gift, but also explain you just can't bring yourself to be drinking wine right now (include reasoning if you think you need to). Ask them if they'd like any of it back for themselves, or if they can think of a mutual friend that might enjoy it. Then, in a week or two, get them a small gift to show your appreciation. Send them some chocolates, or just get them a nice card.

It's late and I just felt like kinda brainstorming with you here I really hope I'm not intruding.

Take care either way, and blessed be!
WW
Old 07-06-2010, 10:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I never have alcohol in my house....
I'm a non drinker

Toss it in the nearest dumpster.
It's a toxic liquid.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I think the suggestions to call the friend and explain is the polite thing to do, but, your sobriety is your number one priority. If you feel caught between not wanting to tell your friend and not wanting it in your house, any of the other options are fine: give the wine away asap, or if you find yourself obsessing, pour it out.
I cannot have any alcohol in my house.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:17 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
JJB

How about selling it on ebay?
:rotfxko
All my apologies if that seems flippant -just get rid of it!
Old 07-07-2010, 03:17 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I know the feeling..... I hope you made the choice to pass it on or pour it out. Good luck either way you choose.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:13 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Ya know, if you open the top to the recycle bin, hold the case above your head, and smash that whole case on the bottom, how would your friend ever find out?