Notices

After 8 1/2 months of sobriety I drank.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:04 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Smile Moderation didn't work for me

Hi. I tried moderation after I'd been sober for 5 months. It went OK the first few times I drank; I was able to drink a few beers and quit. Within a month I was right back where I started, drinking a 12-pack in the space of a few hours and passing out. After that I knew once and for all that I was an alcoholic. ( As if I needed any further proof ) Now, by the grace of God, I no longer get the urges or cravings to drink. And I can be around other people who are drinking and it doers not bother me. Hope everything works out well for you. Grateful Heart
Old 07-06-2010, 07:08 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Smile Very important date

My sobreity date is: June 3, 2007!!!
Old 07-06-2010, 07:10 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LiveLikeGold6
"AA doesn't have to come before everything else; your recovery does." I never thought about it that way.
This is very true.

AA is not a one-size-fits-all recovery program. We're unique individuals with unique needs. What works for one does not mean it's ideal for you.

Please explore other recovery alternatives before sliding back into the alcoholic abyss.

My experience has been that there's no where to go but down when it comes to moderation.

There are alot of recovery options out there. Find what fits you and it'll make all the difference, I think.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:29 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

All I know is that in the past, some very bad things were the direct result of my drinking. I know people who periodically get annihilated without real consequences; I am not one of them. I can not picture a time in the near future when I would be comfortable drinking. Best of luck, try to be objective re: your use and any consequences.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:11 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

AA wasn't for me when I first tried it 4 years ago. Actually, I'm pretty sure nothing was for me, but AA really rubbed me the wrong way. 4 years later, I went back and have stayed. I didn't try any other recovery programs in that time period, so I don't know if any would have worked for me. But I know that AA has been very instrumental in my recovery this time around. I don't agree with everything that is said in every meeting, but a lot of it is very helpful to me.

To me, the meetings are just an hour of my day. An hour when I can hear other people share their stories and feelings and I get to do the same, if I so choose. But the real work is done those 23 hours a day outside of the AA rooms. It's easy to not take a drink in an AA meeting. It gets a little tougher when you walk out the doors. But this whole journey is about my recovery from the obsession to drink alcohol. AA, SR, literature, whatever I have to use. I won't drink today, and there's a pretty good likelihood I won't drink tomorrow, and there's tools AA has given me that help me have confidence in that.

Good luck to you, LLG. I hope you can find whatever you need to help you get your life back.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:34 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Ever been able to turn a pickle back into a cucumber???
Old 07-07-2010, 03:31 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LiveLikeGold6 View Post
Well I did it. I had been thinking of drinking again for a few weeks and finally decided to on fourth of july after watching some beautiful fireworks. I don't regret it, though my headache doesn't feel that great. I am going to try and moderate. I would like to drink and party on the weekend but if things start getting too out of hand I will go back to aa. I want to still try to be spiritually fit and keep the 12 steps in my life. Any words?

Thanks for this post Live. I can honestly say I would be right exactly where you are if I picked up the first glass of wine. I would think to myself that I should be able to moderate this whole deal. I didn't drink after all in # of days. Maybe I wasn't so bad or I just exaggerated the whole thing.

For me I have SR to hold me accountable on the real deal and of course, my husband and son. I am sure that I could moderate it for awhile but the disappointment in myself would be huge and I would fall back to the old ways sooner then you can believe.

I appreciate your post and I wish you the very, very best. Come back to SR if you need to. We will always be here.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:04 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I could never moderate cause I wasn't drinking socially, at home by myself, I was drinking to get numb. I just can't have even a sip without ending up in that big hole again... I hope you don't fall in...
Old 07-08-2010, 07:19 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I can't imagine that anyone with the capacity to have a healthy relationship with alcohol will ever find themselves at an AA meeting, ever. People who can drink normally don't usually spend time posting things on recovery/addiction forums. But I hope that you can break the mould I really do!
Old 07-10-2010, 05:36 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

While I admittedly don't like some of the things you all have said here lol either because I'm stubborn as heck or have too much pride and ego, I am giving myself another shot at AA.

Trying to moderate is not sounding too plausible anymore. I skipped out on going to my co-workers bday bash because I didnt want to embarrass myself. So it seems I knew the answer all along. So here I am with 4 days of sobriety. My new bday is July 6th. I need to stop making excuses for myself, period. I will be on SR more often too. Meeting my sponsor tonight wonder if she'll make me start from step 1 again, lol.