Notices

Newbie.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie.

Hey everyone. I'm brand new to this site, and found it while stumbling around the internet looking for tips on how to quit drinking. I feel blessed that such a website exsists, my day is improving. I look forward to hearing some good advice and giving it back when I am ready and able. Thank you for having me.

Dianna

Side note: If anyone has any tips on how to get through the first day, please let me know. If the time goes by any slower, it'll start to go backwards.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, glad you're here First day for me was a bike ride... probably reading and watching a movie or two. Congrats on your decision to get sober! Keep posting. Are you looking into any programs or anything?
Old 06-28-2010, 10:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Omigosh, that's exactly how I felt on the first day. It seemed like an hour had gone by and in reality, it was only 5 minutes. It was the longest day of my life.

My suggestion is to do anything that will distract you, even for a few minutes. Have you talked to your dr about stopping drinking?
Old 06-28-2010, 10:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome! As you can already see by Anna's post...you are not alone. We've all been there.

Stick close to SR. Lots of good people here. And, Welcome!
Old 06-28-2010, 11:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Hey Dianna. Find something to fill the void...reading and/ or exercising, riding a bike like Sleepie suggested. That may help speed up the time. This may be rough at first but for most people gets better quickly. Hang in there. Good luck and keep us posted. Would be a good idea to involve a Dr. as well.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey guys and gals,

Thanks for some great tips on what to do. Badminton is acting as my crutch right now. I've yet to speak with my doctor about quitting drinking. I have however spoken to him about it in the past. He never recommended anything really. He simply said to stay active and basically enjoy the ride. I suppose I should bring it up with him.

I'm not in any programs, nor have I looked into any. I like to stay by myself most of the time. I am not the most social. My boyfriend is being exceptionally supportive and plans to stick with me through this journey. He recently quit smoking marijuana, so he knows what it is like. He is now 8 days sober and loving it - most of the time.

Thanks once again for the tips, you're all great!

Dianna
Old 06-28-2010, 12:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Persevere, Never give up!

Hi Dianna, Welcome to SR, nice that you have found us. If you want to do some reading, I started a thread ''encouragement for Almay'' she really battled with day 1, you may find some useful tips from a whole lot of posters there. Good luck, keeep posting.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Heathen

Welcome! In those first days, distraction. Walks outside are INCREDIBLY therapeutic. But as they say, it's easy to quit drinking, it's difficult to stay that way. I couldn't do it alone, and I've yet to meet someone who has. Any time I was simply 'absitnent' and not working on myself, and recovery, I ended up drinking again and again. Drinking was but a symptom of the whole issue (or multitude of issues in my case lol). I hope you feel open to extra support soon! Meetings can be great, personally I saw a counselor, read a lot of books.. I had to be willing to do ANYTHING it took to recover.

Welcome!