Notices

Floss

Old 06-28-2010, 03:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Floss

I heard Matt Lauer once say that flossing your teeth could lengthen your life by up to 7 years. Wow! Maybe if I start flossing everyday, I could still drink as much as I am drinking and negate the effects of alcohol in my body. Not!

That is an example of one of the totally irrational thoughts going through my head before I decided to stop drinking. (Another one was that 'maybe I can start smoking pot instead of drinking' - uh, how is this better?) The truth is that I was searching for a way to have my cake and eat it too because I didn't think I could possibly live my life without alcohol.

I still have my issues, but I feel much more equipped to handle life now that I have a clear head. I am a work in progress............
Old 06-28-2010, 03:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

We are all so much a work in progress Sugarfiend. Thanks for the laugh by the way. Our thoughts can be so irrational when we are trying to hang on to our old addiction. When we view it as a friend and not the true persona it is, we continue to want it in our lives. One way I really discovered its true identity was by listing the real things it was doing for me. Try it. I think you will see it is not a friend.

Thanks for your post.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the SR family! I'm glad you joined us!
Old 06-28-2010, 03:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Wandering Student of Life

Ha! I did the same type of rationalizing when I was still trying so hard to deny that I had a problem even just a year ago.

Our minds are uniquely tricky like that, aren't they? It's sneaky...... probably good for a quality game of chess though, lol!