Notices

Oh man

Old 06-25-2010, 10:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Oh man

I made it 9 days then got bored on my days off and bought beer. That was after I was awake for 54 hrs when I quit. Going to give it another try Sunday, joining the YMCA hopefully this will help me to stay busy. I want this soooo bad.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just curious...why wait til Sunday backtender?

D
Old 06-25-2010, 10:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Cuz my day off working nights right now, and I just need to make sure I sleep tomorrow before I have to be back to work. I know it's not a good way to sleep, but jus what I have to do
Old 06-25-2010, 10:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Here's 42 things I'd try before I tried that.
Insomnia? 42 Simple Tips to Help You Get to Sleep - Insomnia treatment, cures

I spent years 'drinking to sleep'...there are healthier, more effective ways to do it for an alcoholic, 'tender.

D
Old 06-25-2010, 10:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree dee, and thanks your a good guy.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've been there
D
Old 06-25-2010, 11:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

backtender

If getting some sleep is a reason for drinking you will NEVER get sober.

Time to get honest.

Sorry but it is true.

AG
Old 06-25-2010, 11:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I hope your wrong alwaysgrowing, I really do want to quit
Old 06-25-2010, 11:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I hope your wrong alwaysgrowing, I really do want to quit
Old 06-26-2010, 12:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Like my name says, binder (been there) donedat (done that). One of the things that turned me into the drinking beast I am today was the thought that I needed my sleep no matter what. So I often used booze to knock me out - which just ended up feeding a growing beast inside me.

What I have learned since is that sometimes it's just necessary to stay awake and knuckle through it...the lack of rest I mean. Finally told myself the following... "Man up, plenty of sleep coming, when you're dead."

It right sucks - especially being sleepless at work - but eventually your body does shut down and you will fall out. Catching zzz's via boozing is wrong on plenty of levels, especially if you have a propensity for alcoholism.

I found this site ... "insomnia cures, treatment and research". It has some very common sense advice and it's good reading on the subject of insomnia.

If you really want to quit it may be time to write down all the "reasons" you still need a drink to help, boredom included, and then toss that list in the trash. I say that because any excuse that will have you at the bottle again is nothing but trash in your life. There really has to be NO reason good enough to hoist back that bottle. 0. Nothing, sleep, boredom, tsunami, break ups, random piano falling on your head, e.t.c... NOTHING is more important to us alcoholics than staying sober. Nothing. Full stop. I really mean that.

The only reason on earth I would willingly drink right now is if someone gave me 2 choices; drink or take a bullet between the eyes. Even then I would have to think about it.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Who Farted?

Originally Posted by binderdonedat View Post
The only reason on earth I would willingly drink right now is if someone gave me 2 choices; drink or take a bullet between the eyes. Even then I would have to think about it.
Not much of a choice there....same result...the bullet's just faster, eh?
Old 06-26-2010, 12:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yeah if you "really want this" you would be quitting like today, no?
Old 06-26-2010, 12:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks alot donedat, I really appreciate you taking all that time trying to help me out, very kind of you. I'm really hearing what your saying
Old 06-26-2010, 02:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Backtender.....glad you are back and wishing you the best. Keep posting and just don't give in. I know so much easier said then done and it is a fight. To get sober....I fell so many times and relapsed after my first real attempt at sobriety.

Learn from this experience. Think of what happened, what was the trigger, what you will do differently this time.

You can do it and I definitely believe in you. Anyone who thinks that getting sober is a one shot, get it right the first time deal does not speak for the majority.

It sometimes takes years to get sober......some relapse after years of sobriety and some fall off the wagon for many years before they get back on the horse.

Take it one day at a time and if you can't sleep then post on SR. Getting your thoughts off your chest in a post or blog will relieve a lot of stress I found and it helped me sleep. Also, find new positive and constructive ways to deal with boredom. Getting sober is a new you and requires change. For me evenings were my perpetual booze time so what I did was either post on SR, go for a walk, even drive to the store and walk around. Just to kill the time in the beginning and to get my body/mind out of the evening drink anxiety time.

People are getting sober and people here are proof of that. Hang on and stay strong.