Notices

"Stuff" containing alcohol setting off cravings

Old 05-25-2010, 09:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Idiot!

"Stuff" containing alcohol setting off cravings

I've been keeping a diary since I got sober and not counting the initial couple of weeks I think I have narrowed down my two potential relapse situations caused by cravings that seemed to come from nowhere to times when I have used stuff containing alcohol.

I had a tattoo done and while it was still "raw" I sprayed an alcohol based sun protection on it, then continued using a cream containing alcohol. I suffered bad cravings for about 10 days whilst/after using these.

Another tattoo - same situation except that right at the beginning I checked the ingredients, spotted the alcohol and discontinued use. This time the cravings were nowhere near as strong and did not last as long.

I am very sensitive to any meds so it would be no surprise if my theory was correct - that the cravings had been caused by the alcohol in the products.

Just wanted to know if anyone had experienced the same?

Just in case I will of course NOT be repeating this error, it's set me off wondering where else alcohol might be lurking and if this is why in the past cravings seem to have popped up from nowhere - and I do know the difference between mentally obsessing and physical craving.

Thanks

Stu.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I get a little tweak of cravings when I smell anything with alcohol, but it passes in like a nanosecond. I see it as a clearly-identifiable moment of insanity. For that brief moment I can see how some have downed a bottle of aqua-velva.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have totally eliminated anything with alcohol present out of my life. Alcohol free mouthwash, No food cooked in or containing any alcoholic product, No hand-sanitiser etcetc. I am very aware and conscious about things like that.

The same goes for medication or whatever too. I don't take anything at all , apart from Ibuprofen or paracetamol or a non-drowsy anti-histamine for hayfever. I would just tell my doctor/dentist straight that I'm an addict/alcoholic. I also don't wish to take medication of any kind as part of my recovery.

My sobriety is my most precious thing in my life. I do everything I can to protect it. Good to hear from you again Stu! peace out.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Focus

Physically, it would be difficult. There has been research about a baby actually becoming intoxicated by putting rubbing alcohol on his/her umbilical cord stump... but for a grown man, probably not as likely from a physiological standpoint because most absorption (to set off the cravings) happens in the stomach, not through the skin.

From a psychological standpoint though, I'm certain this could happen. Anything that reminds us of alcohol can set off cravings... and it just depends on YOU.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've never had issues myself with things like deodorants etc, but I know others have - it certainly seems the best for you to avoid such products, Chopper...good decision

D
Old 05-25-2010, 03:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am with NEO, I had mouthwash, hair tonic, foods, etc. and I eliminated them all. This is probably more mental than physical but I did it anyway. Real vanilla contains more alcohol than wine if you can believe that. There are non-alcohol vanilla flavorings available though.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm fairly careful at home to not use alcohol products of any kind.

But, at work, I use alcohol based hand sanitizer all the time and it's a necessity for me. I have no problem at all with it.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Had a couple early (first few months). Yeah, there real! For me it was coffee. It triggered a false reactive smell of and craving for a Jack and coke. Kinda strange considering I was mostly into Steele and vodka. Cunning baffeling mysterious...
Old 05-25-2010, 07:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I dont order food with alaochol but then i never have, red wine sauce used to make me want to puke! I still use mouthwash with alcohol, would have to gulp down the bottle to possibly set off a craving though...we are talking about physical cravings brought on by alcohol consumption in whatever capacity right?

A craving cannot medically last more than a few days as the alcohol is out of the system by then...

A mental obsession can be triggered by anything it seems, different folks, different strokes...but honestly i dont have that problem anymore either:-)
Old 05-25-2010, 07:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm Ok with the Listerine but for some reason my deodorant reminds of a Gin and Tonic which is weird because I pretty much stuck to beer. Haven't smelled any thing like beer since stopping but drank a GOYA malt beverage (kind of like a malty soda) the other night which reminded me of a beer without the alcohol. It was good and I stopped at one. Maybe I can become a social Goya drinker - but the sugar content is very high and I really don't want to develop diabetes along the way. My Dominican step kids love the Goya Malt stuff.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

We have a guy in our AA group that has a very scientific approach to this. According to him, he drank so much for so long that his brain has developed some enzyme, hormone, whatever you want to call it. He knows but I can't think of it. Because if this, if he has anything containing alcohol even touch his skin, it activates this hormone in his brain and it sets off a severe physical craving. I wish I could think of the name of it but it is a looooooong word. I have no idea if this is real or not, but he claims it is. Take this information and do what you wish with it. Just sharing.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bdiddy5522 View Post
We have a guy in our AA group that has a very scientific approach to this. According to him, he drank so much for so long that his brain has developed some enzyme, hormone, whatever you want to call it. He knows but I can't think of it. Because if this, if he has anything containing alcohol even touch his skin, it activates this hormone in his brain and it sets off a severe physical craving. I wish I could think of the name of it but it is a looooooong word. I have no idea if this is real or not, but he claims it is. Take this information and do what you wish with it. Just sharing.
If you can get this word from him and any other info, please post it back to this thread.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Idiot!

Hi Folks - thanks for the responses.

The correct approach seems to be whatever it takes, whatever the cause - physical or psychological. It's just not worth the risk - sobriety being the most important thing.

I always try to work out to the n'th degree things like this - I do it with my prescribed meds, foodstuffs etc. I do get a bit obsessive over it lol.

It would be interesting to hear more of your friend's theory bdiddy - he sounds like my kind of guy

Thanks again all!

Stu.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Interesting stuff. I haven't experienced any of that but then again.....when I think of my drink of choice rum/coke.....I feel a burning sensation in my stomach. Yeah that thick tar like crap that ate away at my lining in my latter years of boozing comes to mind.

I am glad to see how proactive you are with your recovery Chopper. Thanks for posting!