Notices

and thats all she wrote...

Old 05-17-2010, 10:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

and thats all she wrote...

Hi all,
I'm 33, should have stopped drinking at about 25 and fully ready to admit I'm an alcoholic. Instead of quitting though I figured out every trick in the book to remain highly functional, every excuse possible why I shouldn't stop drinking yet.
What has pushed me over the line is getting blasted on friday and still feeling hungover yesterday. While it was easy to con myself that even though my drinking was out of control, I never really put myself in dangerous situations to get arrested or lose my job...but I can't turn away from what I'm doing to my health.
So may 14th was the last day I drank. No more. I'm fine during the week but will probably be posting on the weekends as getting blasted alone has pretty much been my life for the past 2 years.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

dubbguy,

your situation sounds so close to my boyfriend's - except he's not ready to quit. he's been admitting the truth for the last few years, talking about his fear for his health & his bank account but as far as getting help and doing something about it - well, he's not there yet. I haven't been on here long, but everyone seems so helpful and supportive. Congratulations for making that step!!
Old 05-17-2010, 10:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My whole drinking life has been devoted to drinking alone and trying to keep my life in control by showing up for work and so forth. Eventually, though, largely because of the fear and anxiety, though also because of the growing portion of the day I had to drink; it all got out of my control. This was a good thing, because it forced me to stop, i hope (14 days in) for good. I have the same hope for you.

Last edited by Norther; 05-17-2010 at 10:15 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-17-2010, 12:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Dguy -

I think many of us thought it was our intelligence that enabled us to hold down a job, not lose our homes, family, etc. while actively drinking.

Sadly, this is alcoholic's MO...it wants to rob you of everything, but it first wants to get you alone.

Functioning is really a stage of alcoholism (imo). All those things that haven't been lost, just haven't been lost yet - including our health.

Congratulations on your decision to take your life back.

Alcohol has many more tricks up its sleeve than we ever could. Glad you made the decision to not have to find that out the hard way, Dubbguy.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I'm so glad that you have decided to look after your health.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR and congrats on deciding to stop drinking. Best to stop before something awful and irreversible happens...
Old 05-17-2010, 02:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR dubbguy

This place helped me turn things around.
You'll find a lot of support here.

D