Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

I need help in trying to find my way around this forum and how to stop drinking

Notices

Old 05-16-2010, 11:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hi

im teardrop (dave)
i cant stop drinking it just ***** my life up but i need to drink to feel normal

im also struggling to find my way around this forum???? any help, where can i post, just to chat about nothing inperticular??

dave
Old 05-16-2010, 11:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'd suggest you start a thread in Newcomer's forum as an introduction. As far as stopping drinking, it IS possible but we often need help in stopping. Can you see your doctor for some medical help in getting thru the first three days of withdrawal? I often planned to quit but gave in and drank just to stop the w/d symptoms. Sometimes meds can be given to make your w/d safer and more comfortable.

After you stop drinking do you have any kind of plan in place to stay sober? Many people use AA, some use other programs, some use counseling and/or a mix of different methods.

Welcome to SR!

Here is a link (from the Alcoholism forum) to some of the different programs.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...resources.html
Old 05-16-2010, 11:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks for such a quick reply

ive tried doctors several times and had a weeks worth of the tablets to stop the dts but end up back on the booze the longest ive ever stopped is 4 1/2 months

i went to aa from nov to march (just gone ) but just cant seem to get it

i have a problem with one opther aa newcomer at my local groups

should i confront him

he says stupid things like"youre not a alchollic you only drink lager"

******* ******** comes to mind

ive messed one marrage up with three kids involved ive been in jail 4 times probation loads comunnuity service bound over, ill fight with anyone who thinks they are better than me, all when under the influence of alcohol

but now its creeping up on me il fight sober in the morning before i start my drinks because of he confidense alcohol given me, i used to get bullied at school and was in out of care as a child etc but now after so many fights pissed up i realise i can fight back so now got a anger problem too
Old 05-16-2010, 11:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

should i confront him
I wouldn't. THere will always be people we can't get along with. Do'nt let them live rent free inside your head. Go to more meetings and look for the similarities, not the differences. If you have problems with anger too I'd suggest a good counselor - one trained in addiction therapy. I see mine once a week and she helps me a lot, in all aspects of my life.

You CAN do this. You CAN stop drinking and stay sober, but you've got to want to stay sober more than you want to drink. I was a chronic relapser but am finally close to six months sober and loving it!
Old 05-16-2010, 11:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thanks, but he just pisses me off its why i stopped going to aa then within 3 weeks im drinking again everyday

do many people come on here i just want to moan/download my **** and hopefully get help,ive got noone else to talk to,im even pissing my wife off but just cant manage without alcohol

i love old cars especially fords and just been banned from a forum i used for oldskoolfords because i been acting a dick while pissed so now i dont feel i can attend any shows this year because i think people will start on me then the anger will come out because i wont back off and then ill be back in prison as im already back on probation
Old 05-16-2010, 12:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It sounds like you've got a lot of 'issues' to work on besides just drinking. As far as the guy who pisses you off... can't you go to different meetings? If you let one person stop you, you're not likely to be able to address your problems. After all, it's YOU who needs/wants to stop drinking, and that isn't as likely to happen if you're letting others live rent free inside your head. Not to mention, we have no control over others, only ourselves. People have overcome alcoholism facing much worse problems than you've named here. It's up to YOU. How badly do you want to be sober?? It all comes down to that.

I would recommend a good counselor to address your anger problems, as well as others, and a good program, whether AA or another, to help you stop drinking and stay sober. But in the end, it's up to you. We can offer support and advice and information, but YOU have to do something with it to help yourself. There is no magic 'instant' solution, it takes work. Are you willing to do the work necessary to help yourself? I couldn't stop drinking until I was willing to do WHATEVER IT TAKES to stop, as well as taking a hard honest look at myself to correct any faults I had that stood in the way of having a decent life.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
mergirl

welcome =) There are people at my meetings I am not on friendly terms with, but i earned my seat. 28 years of non stop drinking and drugging says I earned it. I have a 66 mustang =) Sobriety rocks, and if AA is helping you to stay sober, don't let anyone run you off
Old 05-16-2010, 02:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gypsy Feet View Post
welcome =) There are people at my meetings I am not on friendly terms with, but i earned my seat. 28 years of non stop drinking and drugging says I earned it. I have a 66 mustang =) Sobriety rocks, and if AA is helping you to stay sober, don't let anyone run you off
28 years i really dont know how you do it i was 10 when you stopped drinking(i didnt take my first drink till i was 12
Old 05-16-2010, 02:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Old 05-16-2010, 02:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gypsy Feet View Post

i think i missread your answer ?? were you 28 years addicted??
Old 05-16-2010, 02:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bbr

I'm a Chevy guy, but I'll welcome you anyway Seriously, there is a lot of help and support on this forum. Keep reading and posting and you'll see. SR has been a major part of my recovery.

BBR
Old 05-16-2010, 02:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bbr View Post
I'm a Chevy guy, but I'll welcome you anyway Seriously, there is a lot of help and support on this forum. Keep reading and posting and you'll see. SR has been a major part of my recovery.

BBR
you lot all seem to have american cars?? is this american site

im from the uk
Old 05-16-2010, 02:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by teardrop
you lot all seem to have american cars?? is this american site? im from the uk
Welcome teardrop,

This is a human site - no prejudice, no judgement - if you have an interest in getting sober, you're in the right place no matter what nationality, race or creed you are.

...and that means sober from any kind of drugs and/or alcohol since they hold no prejudice either.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
you lot all seem to have american cars?? is this american site

im from the uk
Hi and welcome Dave

There's a few of us Brits on here! But everyone is very supportive and this site helps us all. I hope you find what you need to get sober.

BTW....I've got a multipla...for my dogs you understand:rotfxko
Old 05-16-2010, 03:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is an international site Dave
I'm Australian.

I take the bus tho

D
Old 05-16-2010, 04:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

It does sound like you have issues to work on and the anger you are talking about sounds really scary. Honestly, there can be no purpose in confronting someone who says something stupid to you like you aren't really an alcoholic. The best thing to do in that situation is to walk away and focus on your recovery.

I hope you keep posting here and you can always come and read and post. There is always someone here to listen and help.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

how do i go about addressing my issues?
i agree i do have lots of issues but where do i start ?
Old 05-17-2010, 02:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Maybe speaking to your Doctor is a good start Dave - for both the alcohol and anger issues?

D
Old 05-17-2010, 03:00 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Teardrop, why don't you start with identifying one thing you don't think you are recognized for and then you wind up be a D word? And drinking, etc.

Is it possible you resent things that don't really exist the way you perceive them? Or ignore the things that bother you for a time and then blow up at the wrong person? That is something I have noticed in myself. If I had given myself credit in my head sooner, I could have avoided the outbursts and the breakingpoints. Other times, I could have addressed the problems I saw in other people sooner - not with blatant outbursts but with better handling, in ways that don't add to resentment building up. Inside all of that is an exercise at finding something that is worthwhile about a person, but the person is not perceived to own the worth and they put alcohol in its place. Then it is a vicious cycle of relying on the alcohol.