Notices

Day 8...1 week down, many to go

Old 04-30-2010, 11:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 8...1 week down, many to go

Day 7 was good, no close calls =).

I brought the bike to work yesterday and went for great ride. Came home and was working on my guitar playing, with some advice from Toranto...(thanks again for the tip)

Today at work, I had some customer service issues, and that pisses me off more than anything, because my job is to close Jobs and write orders; then the customer service is taken over by that team. Well "ShXT rolls down hill" so I had to get involved to find a solution. With my blood boiling, I made a decision to leave for the day. My health is more important.

Weekends are usually not too bad for me as long as i don't go out; they are also when i get motivated to quit drinking anyway so i am optimistic about the weekend.

I treated myself to a new guitar book, so I'm going to be nose deep in it for the next few days...

"I DO NOT DRINK; I DO NOT DRINK; I DO NOT DRINK; I DO NOT DRINK"....just praticing...=)

Song of the Day...(a good one for anyone who slips up) Accident Can Happen -- Sixx: AM...

Stay Strong Everyone!
Old 04-30-2010, 11:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great job Wash! I like the idea of bringing your bike to work. May suggest that to my husband. Keep up the awesome work! Post here if you need any encouragement. You know you will get plenty.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

do you play a washburn?
Old 04-30-2010, 11:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mark75 View Post
do you play a washburn?
Yes, its an old cheap 6 string acustic. Im thinking about buying a new one but i can decide. Im stuck between a Gibson electic, Gretsch semi-hollow, or an ovation electic/acustic...This will be a sobriety gift to myself after 90 days...
Old 04-30-2010, 01:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

All good guitars
Old 04-30-2010, 01:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great job!! Keep on going! I also love Sixx AM and that song is very inspiring song. Keep the positives flowing my friend.

All the best!
Old 04-30-2010, 01:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Rev
Awakening

Ovations are really cool. I've never played one tho. I have a Yamaha acoustic, but the strings are really stiff and the frets a bit small. I'd like an acoustic that plays a little more like my electric (I have a Carvin). How's the action on an Ovation?

BTW, congrats on getting through such a hectic day. IMHO, office work is one of the great degradations of the modern man (and woman). Thoreau, I believe, would be aghast to see what it's forced us to become.

Rev
Old 04-30-2010, 01:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rev View Post
Ovations are really cool. I've never played one tho. I have a Yamaha acoustic, but the strings are really stiff and the frets a bit small. I'd like an acoustic that plays a little more like my electric (I have a Carvin). How's the action on an Ovation?

BTW, congrats on getting through such a hectic day. IMHO, office work is one of the great degradations of the modern man (and woman). Thoreau, I believe, would be aghast to see what it's forced us to become.

Rev
OH MY!! Carvins are beautiful!! My decision may have become a little easier...I played the ovation once, at a store, but didn't give it a good listen because other people were playing in the room too. The action didnt seem too bad, but i haven't really played a lot of different models...

I agree, but more like rolling in his grave. I contemplate getting a piece of land somewhere upstate and living a more simple life.

Thanks Rev!
Old 04-30-2010, 01:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you made it through the day Washburn
Congrats on your week

I was gonna make a standing ovation joke...but no.
D
Old 04-30-2010, 01:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great job!

I too play guitar - I went to school for music (the first time I went to school) and my work is music related so I get to play all the time, which is awesome. I play mostly acoustic guitar- I have an old ibanez and a seagull. Both guitars are great but I really really want a Larrivee. Maybe since I've quit spending so much money on booze I can buy one soon!
Old 04-30-2010, 02:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Rev
Awakening

Originally Posted by Washburn View Post
OH MY!! Carvins are beautiful!! My decision may have become a little easier...I played the ovation once, at a store, but didn't give it a good listen because other people were playing in the room too. The action didnt seem too bad, but i haven't really played a lot of different models...

I agree, but more like rolling in his grave. I contemplate getting a piece of land somewhere upstate and living a more simple life.

Thanks Rev!
I got mine in the early 90's, when they had the Floyd Rose trem. The color choices and such weren't that great then, but they had come into their own as a quality instrument. I've always wanted an acoustic that played the way my Carvin does. Something slinky and fast, where you don't have to build up all the muscles in your forearm to avoid fret buzz. LOL.

I know what you mean. I dreamt of buying some cheap land, growing my own food, and divorcing myself from society more than once, when driving home from work.

Rev
Old 04-30-2010, 03:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rev View Post
I got mine in the early 90's, when they had the Floyd Rose trem. The color choices and such weren't that great then, but they had come into their own as a quality instrument. I've always wanted an acoustic that played the way my Carvin does. Something slinky and fast, where you don't have to build up all the muscles in your forearm to avoid fret buzz. LOL.

I know what you mean. I dreamt of buying some cheap land, growing my own food, and divorcing myself from society more than once, when driving home from work.

Rev
I cheat to get rid of the buzzing...i use my strumming arm to push the body in towards me which pulls the neck outward against my fretting hand. The opposing forces lets you use less foerarm strength to barr. If you do it hard enough you can hold a barr without your thumb...try it out with the yamaha.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by littlechicklet View Post
Great job!

I too play guitar - I went to school for music (the first time I went to school) and my work is music related so I get to play all the time, which is awesome. I play mostly acoustic guitar- I have an old ibanez and a seagull. Both guitars are great but I really really want a Larrivee. Maybe since I've quit spending so much money on booze I can buy one soon!
Thats gotta be great. My friend does it with drums. He reached and gets paid as a session drummer. My old guitar teacher too, his goal was to never work in his life, he's doing pretty well with it too...