Notices

Hi... Just wanted to introduce myself & share

Old 04-30-2010, 02:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Better now than never

Smile Hi... Just wanted to introduce myself & share

My name is Jessica. I am a problem drinker. My last drink was last night at 10pm.

I have drank since i was about 13. My drinking has led to one DUI and my husband asking me to move out of the house today.

I don't drink everyday. I usually go months without so much as a drop. But then I take a sip of wine while Im cooking and Im done. A bottle and 1/2 later Im waking up the next morning wondering how I got my pj's on. I will do it 2-3times that week, get into a big blow out fight with the husband and then go for months with nothing.

It has always been this way. A vicious cycle. I have been married for 20+ years & my husband has had enough. When we were first married I would go to the store & not come home til the next morning. Thats what I did last night. I went to my brother in laws house and passed out. I did drink Sunday night, Tuesday night & last night. Today was the blow up & now I normally would go for months.....NORMALLY... but something is changing. I am now perimenopausal ( a time before menopause starts) and the past four months I have been drinking the week of my cycle. I want & need to stop it now! Im very happy I found this support group!!!
Thanks
Old 04-30-2010, 02:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Better now than never

forgot...

The reason I mention the perimenopausal is I think this monthy drinking is hormone driven.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Jessica! I'm glad you found us. Wise of you to realize that things are out of control.

It isn't how often we drink, but what happens to us when we do drink - you've already discovered that. Each time I tried to control it, I failed. I had good intentions & vowed to just have one or two, but in the end I was drinking all day, every day. You can stop, and get your life back - congratulations on your decision.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!!

This is a great place with a lot of supportive people...glad you're here!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 04-30-2010, 02:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Jessica,

Welcome!

I thought it was interesting what you said about hormonal changes, I too drank fiercer a day or so before my period would start, even though I'm not perimenopausal yet. Don't know how that mechanism works, but I'm happy to say this month I broke that cycle, something to be aware of as a trigger.

Thanks for sharing and I hope you'll find this forum as usefull as I do.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I could relate to what you said about the drinking and your cycle. I don't think I drank more at that time, but boy did it effect me even more. Husband noticed that too. I would get drunk much quicker. Any ways, could also relate to what you said about drinking when you were preparing dinner. That was what I did, but I wouldn't stop until bedtime. Glad you joined SR. Its good to have you here.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Jessica

I remember how one glass could leave me in all kinds of situations, never knowing how I got there too.

Glad you're here with us
D
Old 04-30-2010, 03:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Better now than never

Thank you everyone!!!
Old 04-30-2010, 04:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Time4me2Change View Post
My name is Jessica. I am a problem drinker.

I want & need to stop it now! Im very happy I found this support group!!!
Thanks

Welcome to SR Jessica,

You sound like you are ready to give up the crazy cycle we're all toooo familiar with.

I always thought sobriety is not really for all the people who need it, .....

just for the people who WANT IT.

I hope you'll find this place as helpful as I have this past month,.......great group of folks here
Old 04-30-2010, 04:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Hannitized

Welcome aboard! Sobriety affords you the opportunity to be in control of your life and that is one of the best side effects!

Best wishes to you!