Notices

New here - Day 5

Old 04-25-2010, 01:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Nathan Thurm fan

New here - Day 5

Hi again everybody - I've written in 3 times already but somebody PM'd me and said I should start my own thread to introduce myself so I don't get lost in somebody else's thread. I feel kinda funny doing this but since I really really need everybody's support I figured I'd do it.
I won't go into much detail since I did before, but it's Day 5. I hit and killed a cat a couple days ago and I didn't drink or smoke weed afterwards. I am an animal rights freak and I've actually done a lot of work in this area (and I'm vegan.) So hitting and killing a cat and not getting messed up afterwards is something I'm very very proud of. Thanks for listening you guys, I really need it. I don't have anybody to talk to about my addiction problems but my therapist. Robin
Old 04-25-2010, 03:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Robin so glad you started a thread and again welcome to SR. I know firsthand how hard it is hard to be faced with a situation that normally would be handled through alcohol. It is very difficult but as time goes on we learn various techniques and ways to cope with stress. You remained strong and did not resort to your old crutch and instead posted your achievement. To me it is significant because it marks another turning point in your recovery. It is like being around someone drinking for the first time and it is what you do right then and there that counts. We will always have challenges in our recovery but they are hurdles we overcome. To live our lives as best as possible we must be sober and through lifelong abstinence and support.

I have been a bit irritable the past few days when I encounter situations where I used just pour a drink to calm down or pull it together. Yeah.....it never was just one and the earlier I started meant my entire day was probably wasted since I can't control my drinking. I usually just do my best to chill out but once it has passed I feel so darn good because I got through it as a sober and I am such a better, stronger person for it.

Hang in and we all get through it together.

Kim
Old 04-25-2010, 03:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The first few weeks can be a bumpy road. Don't let it dissuade you from staying sober. It WILL get better, I promise. Just hang on tight and don't drink if your @ss falls off.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Nathan Thurm fan

thanks guys, I needed that. I'm also realizing who my real friends are. The other day my "friend" was begging me to smoke weed with her and she knows I'm trying to quit. It was so annoying. I just said to myself "I'm not going to let this girl take me down." I'm realizing I'm going to have to cut certain people out of my life. I've considered dropping her even before I decided to quit everything, she is not a good person to have in my life for many reasons. Robin
Old 04-25-2010, 05:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Robin,

It's great that you are here Glad you are posting.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Robin , hope you find support from this site. Your doing great!!
Old 04-25-2010, 01:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Robin, I'm glad you are here with us & so glad your accident didn't cause you to run for a drink. It's a huge triumph when we finally realize nothing is made better by drinking - we only prolong the agony of facing things.

You mentioned not having anyone to really talk to about this, and I was the same way. That's why the people here have meant so much to me. No one judges or condemns me - it has meant the world to me and to my recovery. The burden I was carrying has been lifted and I can heal. I hope you will come to feel the same.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Robin:

Welcome! I share your passion for the little critters, and I completely understand why the accident was so upsetting. Take care.

Ddog
Old 04-25-2010, 02:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well done on your sober time.....Welcome!
Old 04-25-2010, 02:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey Robin

Glad you started your own thread

I'm sorry for what happened, but it's great you got through it without resorting to old behaviours

D
Old 04-25-2010, 03:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Robyn. I know what you are talking about when it comes to animals. I used to work for an abused and neglected horse shelter in the beginning of my sobriety. I took a lot of the work home with me and had to step away from the place. They have a lot of good volunteers, but I could see myself slipping into a downward spiral fast. I was taking on all the horses' problems and wanting to change the world.

After being sober awhile I learned that you have to turn some things over and let your Higher Power take the controls. I now can do rescue work, but in early sobriety it was a danger.

I think you dealing with that life situation is so inspirational and it proves that you have what it takes. Welcome to SR and I hope you will post whenever you need some support. SR has held my hand and dried my tears more then once. Good to have you aboard!!