Notices

Maybe I'm Not In The Right Place

Old 05-10-2010, 06:57 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post
Hi Mark - I know it's hard to get off the roller coaster, especially when a few drinks seem to calm the nerves (I had the shakiness over the past year myself, but I think the shakes inside were actually worse than the ones in my hands). Even when I limited my drinks to 4 or 5, the withdrawal symptoms seemed to be getting worse. And after fighting to stay for a week (at the most), I really made up for it on the next drinking day.

Ironically, while drinking, I was trying my best to act sober so no one would know. I was just trying to make it through the day and put my best face on. Inside, I was anxious and depressed (consequences of drinking as well).
What to do? Drink, of course.

Today, I am amazed that I'm can smile and really mean it. The world doesn't seem so overwhelming. I didn't think it was possible, but here I am after only8 days and I don't ever want to go back. I didn't even know (until I stopped) how miserable I was.

I think it's great that you're here and hope you'll keep posting and reading!
Thanks for that, artsoul, and congrats on your sobriety so far! It definitely is a vicious circle like you alluded to: get depressed and anxious because I'm drinking and then drink more to counteract that! Soooo irrational...but so hard to end it.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:58 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Double post... oops.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:07 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Hi Mark - Hope you are well. I'm pretty much a newbie, so all the "advice" I have to give would be to make sure you go see a doctor about this. He/she can give you the appropriate tests or point you in the right direction from a medical standpoint, rather than you just trying to figure it out on your own. You're not alone in this.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:39 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

So Mark, when you said at least you can do it temporarily, do you mean you just had smaller amounts or you went without?

The drinking and then feeling bad and then drinking on top of it to soothe it is how alcoholism works. You must be thinking along those lines about you? Or is that jumping to conclusions?
Old 05-11-2010, 02:47 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Rev
Awakening

Not every alcholic is Jim Morrison. Each person is different, and each person's problem is different. I drank kind of like you do, where it wasn't every day, I didn't drink till I blacked out, I didn't miss work, etc. What I did do was feel hung over all the time, and ruminated every day about how I needed to quit, but just couldn't manage to keep that frame of mind for more than a day or two. I felt like I couldn't control my own behavior, and how I felt physically had a negative effect on my motivation to do just about everything. I felt like a loser, basically.

If you decide to quit, you'll get alot of support here. People are very cool, non-judgemental, and happy to read and respond to long posts. It's a very compassionate and honest group of people. They've helped me enormously.

Welcome.

Rev
Old 05-11-2010, 04:15 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Here's a simple view. An alcoholic is someone who can't control his drinking. If you try to control your drinking - particularly if you do so repeatedly - and fail, you're an alcoholic. If you're an alcoholic, you shouldn't drink because you can't control your drinking. QED

I'm only 7 days sober, so my brain is skipping a few beats, but the logic looks good to me. Did I miss something?

Last edited by Norther; 05-11-2010 at 04:17 AM. Reason: edit
Old 05-11-2010, 04:09 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Toronto68 View Post
So Mark, when you said at least you can do it temporarily, do you mean you just had smaller amounts or you went without?

The drinking and then feeling bad and then drinking on top of it to soothe it is how alcoholism works. You must be thinking along those lines about you? Or is that jumping to conclusions?
Yeah, just smaller amounts. I have analyzed that this is how this is working for me.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:10 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rev View Post
Not every alcholic is Jim Morrison. Each person is different, and each person's problem is different. I drank kind of like you do, where it wasn't every day, I didn't drink till I blacked out, I didn't miss work, etc. What I did do was feel hung over all the time, and ruminated every day about how I needed to quit, but just couldn't manage to keep that frame of mind for more than a day or two. I felt like I couldn't control my own behavior, and how I felt physically had a negative effect on my motivation to do just about everything. I felt like a loser, basically.

If you decide to quit, you'll get alot of support here. People are very cool, non-judgemental, and happy to read and respond to long posts. It's a very compassionate and honest group of people. They've helped me enormously.

Welcome.

Rev
Thanks, Rev. Appreciate it.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:11 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ConfusedNC View Post
Hi Mark - Hope you are well. I'm pretty much a newbie, so all the "advice" I have to give would be to make sure you go see a doctor about this. He/she can give you the appropriate tests or point you in the right direction from a medical standpoint, rather than you just trying to figure it out on your own. You're not alone in this.
Thanks, Confused. That does seem like it would be the logical next step for me.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:44 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Rev
Awakening

Originally Posted by Norther View Post
Here's a simple view. An alcoholic is someone who can't control his drinking. If you try to control your drinking - particularly if you do so repeatedly - and fail, you're an alcoholic. If you're an alcoholic, you shouldn't drink because you can't control your drinking. QED

I'm only 7 days sober, so my brain is skipping a few beats, but the logic looks good to me. Did I miss something?
Works for me.

Rev