Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Day 2 and second time around...but I think I am learning something...

Notices

Old 04-02-2010, 05:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I drank for many years.. Last year April 2009 I got sober for Eight months.. The reason I was able to stop drinking was that I met someone got into a very quick and intense relationship that lasted for eight months.. What I am realizing now is that I was able to transfer my drinking into a very codependent relationship that was a crutch for my drinking and really did not do the hard work to be sober and STAY sober. I am talking about the emotional healing and working on the root of why I drank..and why I need a crutch.

Now that I am on my own this second time it is very difficult... I am trying to keep myself busy and keep reminding myself that my sobriety is the most important thing to me right now.. It is so difficult...I am trying to learn why I need to drink and start to move my life into a positive direction..
Old 04-02-2010, 05:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Staying sober can be difficult, but it's so worth the effort. I hope you can find what you need, within yourself and outside of yourself, to stay sober.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with you. Drinking is a symptom of the underlying problems. And, the fear of dealing with those problems can keep us in the cycle of addiction for a long time. But, know that you will be able to look at your problems and slowly, but surely get through things.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to know you are seeking a better healthier future.
Welcome back....
Old 04-02-2010, 06:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I tried for a very long time to figure out the 'cause' of my drinking when what I really had to do was to stop drinking first. It was only as my head became more and more clear was I able to see and hear myself in other sober people's experiences and stories. Through that, I learned what my triggers are and how my drinking history evolved, which enabled me to make the necessary changes to not have to use alcohol as a crutch for them anymore.

Also did alot of reading - particularly memoirs from alcoholics who I identified with alot. There's a book forum here on SR if you care to see what people recommend or if you want to post a question about your interests.

Congrats on day 2! Be well.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on your day 2 sobertimeforme
I hope you found something useful in the links I posted yesterday.

It is hard to do this - it's even harder to do it 'on your own'. Finding some support here is great, but finding reallife support - people to talk to, numbers to call - can help make the difference too.

D