SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Day 2 and second time around...but I think I am learning something... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/198047-day-2-second-time-around-but-i-think-i-am-learning-something.html)

Sobertimeforme 04-02-2010 05:17 PM

Day 2 and second time around...but I think I am learning something...

I drank for many years.. Last year April 2009 I got sober for Eight months.. The reason I was able to stop drinking was that I met someone got into a very quick and intense relationship that lasted for eight months.. What I am realizing now is that I was able to transfer my drinking into a very codependent relationship that was a crutch for my drinking and really did not do the hard work to be sober and STAY sober. I am talking about the emotional healing and working on the root of why I drank..and why I need a crutch.

Now that I am on my own this second time it is very difficult... I am trying to keep myself busy and keep reminding myself that my sobriety is the most important thing to me right now.. It is so difficult...I am trying to learn why I need to drink and start to move my life into a positive direction..

least 04-02-2010 05:22 PM

Staying sober can be difficult, but it's so worth the effort.:) I hope you can find what you need, within yourself and outside of yourself, to stay sober.

Anna 04-02-2010 05:40 PM

I agree with you. Drinking is a symptom of the underlying problems. And, the fear of dealing with those problems can keep us in the cycle of addiction for a long time. But, know that you will be able to look at your problems and slowly, but surely get through things.

CarolD 04-02-2010 06:02 PM

Glad to know you are seeking a better healthier future.
Welcome back....:hug:

HumbleBee 04-02-2010 06:16 PM

I tried for a very long time to figure out the 'cause' of my drinking when what I really had to do was to stop drinking first. It was only as my head became more and more clear was I able to see and hear myself in other sober people's experiences and stories. Through that, I learned what my triggers are and how my drinking history evolved, which enabled me to make the necessary changes to not have to use alcohol as a crutch for them anymore.

Also did alot of reading - particularly memoirs from alcoholics who I identified with alot. There's a book forum here on SR if you care to see what people recommend or if you want to post a question about your interests.

Congrats on day 2! Be well.

Dee74 04-02-2010 07:05 PM

Congratulations on your day 2 sobertimeforme
I hope you found something useful in the links I posted yesterday.

It is hard to do this - it's even harder to do it 'on your own'. Finding some support here is great, but finding reallife support - people to talk to, numbers to call - can help make the difference too.

D