Notices

My Name is Jon, I'm an alcoholic

Old 02-10-2010, 03:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Name is Jon, I'm an alcoholic

Hey everyone -- snowed in, here in Pittsburgh, and haven't been able to make many meetings these last few days. Doing ok, though. Using my support group via phone, and all my literature.

Anyway, stumbled across these forums. Looks like a popular place. Figured I'd create a user name and have a glance around. First, though, just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Jon, and I am an alcoholic. 27 years old. Coming up on one year of sobriety (March 5th). Working the AA steps -- presently dragging my feet on Nine. Praying for the willingness, at least. I know I don't want to drink / use again, so I'm sure I'll continue to make my amends when the pain gets too great. That seems to be a common theme with many a recovering drunk.

Anyway, nice to meet you all!
Old 02-10-2010, 03:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome and thanks for introducing yourself! Bravo on your recovery.

Soph
Old 02-10-2010, 04:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! Glad you joined our recovery family! Congrats on your nearly-a-year of sobriety! Hope to see you around more.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

Hello There!

Welcome. This place has been a life-line when needed, a comedy show when needed, a circle of friends when needed, and last but not least, a teacher as ALWAYS needed. :-)

- Kim
Old 02-10-2010, 04:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Seems like it'll be a good addition to my already widening circle of support (homegroup, AA friends, sponsor, literature). And Alizerin, good quote in your signature! Huge Kaku fan here. I love his work, in writing and recently on TV. Wonderful when a top-notch physicist is trying to bring his knowledge to the general public. I'm a teacher of science, as well, so I enjoy seeing how he "breaks things down." Toward the end of my using / drinking, a few of his works gave me some strength to carry on -- that it all at SOME point. AA has really helped me hone this belief.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

only a very new boy but hi
10 days in
Old 02-10-2010, 04:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Astronomy... Welcome!! We have a 12 step section for discussion about AA topics specifically... lots of good support and sobriety around.

Mark
Old 02-10-2010, 04:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Welcome, Jon. I'm a Pittsburgh via Punxsutawney alcoholic, and I'm currently stuck in the latter (ahem) "city" (which, if you know the area, know what an exaggeration that is!). Sorry you haven't been able to get to meetings, but kudos to you on your efforts to stay connected.

One of the great things about being snowed in is that it gives us plenty of opportunities to "get out of self" -- grab a shovel and help your neighbor dig out, or to check on elderly neighbors.

Glad you're here -- and, oh -- the only way I found to get through that 9th step is to put one foot in front of the other.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 02-10-2010, 04:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Jon

D
Old 02-10-2010, 05:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sugah View Post
Welcome, Jon. I'm a Pittsburgh via Punxsutawney alcoholic, and I'm currently stuck in the latter (ahem) "city" (which, if you know the area, know what an exaggeration that is!). Sorry you haven't been able to get to meetings, but kudos to you on your efforts to stay connected.

One of the great things about being snowed in is that it gives us plenty of opportunities to "get out of self" -- grab a shovel and help your neighbor dig out, or to check on elderly neighbors.

Glad you're here -- and, oh -- the only way I found to get through that 9th step is to put one foot in front of the other.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Ego's keeping me from putting on my shoes. Guess I'll have to go barefoot. I have made a few -- one "easy," my girlfriend, who is very supportive of me, despite the hell I put her through. My mom was tougher, but I made that one. Next comes my Dad, and he's a tough nut -- very little emotion. But that's me passing judgement, calling the kettle black, yadda yadda.

The major ones I'm scared of (and, yes, I know fear is no excuse, so says the 12 and 12) are those who don't know I've harmed them. I was a medicine cabinet raider. I'm sure that will give me a major does of humility, which I no doubt need.

Ugh. I love / get annoyed by recovery

Anyway, most meetings cancelled tonight, again. But the mere effort of trying to drive to two set the tone for the rest of the evening. Guess I found something recovery related to do, anyway

And danzoo, welcome, too! I had ten days, too. It does indeed get better.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome!

I'm glad you found us.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I felt so frustrated when I made amends to my father. He brushed it off. I felt like he didn't understand what I was trying to do and I walked away thinking -- I just didn't get through to him. But, the point isn't how he receives it. It's in my courage and willingness to make it right.

I raided medicine cabinets, too. I used my tongue to cut others who tried to help me. I lied to doctors. I neglected my kids. In addition to coming clean, I've found the best amends is living right today, not doing those things today. Doing better today.

Oh, and my father? I finally did get to make a deeper kind of amends to him in the last month of his life. Thankfully, I didn't walk away from him the first time and take my willingness with me.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 02-10-2010, 06:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to know you are here with us...Welcome!
Old 02-10-2010, 06:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

hey Astronomy-
glad to have you part of the group. Good peeps here.
Dub
Old 02-10-2010, 10:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome
Keep up the good work!
Old 02-10-2010, 11:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

Welcome. Glad you have joined us.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Welcome to SR

Take care,
TB
Old 02-11-2010, 02:44 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

hi jon,

i'm pattee, and I'm an alcoholic
Old 02-11-2010, 07:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR Jon, I am down in Fredericksburg Va. and a ton of our meetings have been cancelled due to to snow as well.

Step 9 in reality is one of the most rewarding steps of all, it is also the toughest one to get started on!! Of course people we know will be forgiving and understanding are easy, but I can promise you that once you make amends to some one that you are scared of or that your ego is trying to stop you from doing the rest will become easier.

What you will find has in my experience that after you have done a tough one, even if they are totally non-accepting is a sense of releif as well as a greater feeling of who you are working to become. Read those promises after step 9 keeping in mind that it says "before we are half way through"!!!!

Any how Welcome to SR!!!
Old 02-11-2010, 08:47 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi Jon, glad you are here.

"The most intense conflicts, if overcome, leave behind a sense of security and calm that is not easily disturbed. It is just these intense conflicts and their conflagration which are needed to produce valuable and lasting results."
-Carl Gustav Jung