Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Well, last night I finally got asked dead on why I'm not drinking anymore...

Notices

Well, last night I finally got asked dead on why I'm not drinking anymore...

Old 02-07-2010, 06:32 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Wow - everyone! Thanks so much for the outpouring of support. It really feels great to be heard, and to have been able to share this with you.

Carol - I find that I don't find the drinkers so interesting anymore (and I'm talking about those who over-drink...), because I'm finding they cannot really follow a conversation and are in their own little worlds. Just like I was. They say the same things over and over and over in the span of a few minutes, just like I did. So, being sober, I find myself going, "Okaaaay...now what?!" But it does help me understand exactly where I was at - where I was stuck for so long, and truly TRULY makes me grateful for my new found sobriety. I love this new life, and I don't want to lose it ever again.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:33 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I think you handled it well,humblestudent.I have had similar situations like this.I learned to keep it short,and sweet.I just say,I found out I was allergic to it,and it doesn't work for me.I have never felt the need to justify my choices to anyone,because sometimes people aren't looking out for my best interests.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:29 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1SoberSwede View Post
I have never felt the need to justify my choices to anyone,because sometimes people aren't looking out for my best interests.
You know - I think you just hit it on the head...sometimes people aren't looking out for my best interests, the way a true friend would. And I think this is what I was picking up on from this person's demeanor that rankled me. It's that feeling of being asked a question by someone who is just waiting to make fun of your answer. I don't like it, and I'm on my way to not accepting being treated like that because my self-esteem is slowly, ever so slowly starting to repair itself because I am reconnecting with my true self, vs. the drinking person that ran the show for the last 20 years! She just got the boot!!
Old 02-08-2010, 12:30 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

Red face growing up

Hi Humble, What a great story from the front lines. what a inspiration.