Notices

Day 9 - Need help with symptoms...

Old 01-27-2010, 02:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 9 - Need help with symptoms...

Starting Day 9 and need some help - symptoms?
Ok, the mental/emotional acceptance of sobriety is there and physically I have been feeling great....few withdrawal symptoms the first few days but aside from being tired...each day has gotten better. I sleep and eat and am slowly becoming active.

I am agitated beyond right now since several hours ago I developed that God awful itching all over my body. It spreads section by section and then goes away and my left foot has had several foot cramps which have been quite painful. Of course I don't have a rash and lotion does not help. I remember periods of heavy drinking where the itching was on and off throughout the day.

So, I looked at my leg when it was itching and I could see the veins (not the blue/green) but the skin above the veins was raised. Almost like a map of my veins. I know this is associated with the alcohol and hubby doesn't know. He suggests soaking but having had them on and off for a few years...soaking, lotion, change of clothes, etc. does not work.

I have been drinking endless water and taking a multi-vitamin and a B1 pill for the thiamine. My face over the past 4 days is so blotchy and crusty it is disgusting. I read that the thiamine brings upon acne but all over my face like I have been in the Sahara and it is peeling off. I am also am urinating like every 20 minutes or so. Lower back is killing me and a few other odds and ends if you will.

Aside from some anxiety that came out of nowhere earlier and these symptoms....has anyone experienced this in the early recovery? Any useful tips or remedies? Since I am overseas military....if you need help then you go to the ER since dr. appts aren't exactly readily available if it can't wait. Should I be concerned? I have done this whole recovery without pills and figured what better place to check. I have no concern of relapsing as I have achieved at just day 9 the impossible. Living and breathing sober. I do work at it each day and will continue to for the rest of my sober life.

Thank you all!!
Old 01-27-2010, 03:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Kimber,

I highly recommend you see the doctor. It could be any number of things, including a kidney infection. Please see the doctor. Be safe.

Love,

Lenina
Old 01-27-2010, 03:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, absolutely talk to your dr.

I'm glad you're doing well.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by Kmber2010 View Post
I have been drinking endless water and taking a multi-vitamin and a B1 pill for the thiamine.
Hi Kmber,

Drinking endless water is not necessarily good for you. The alcohol is out of your body already, so you are not flushing it out. You are most likely flushing out electrolytes and causing an imbalance. If you are not well, not well nourished, this can be very serious indeed. Only drink if you are thirsty.

Leg cramps can be a sign of lost of essential salts/electrolytes. In the short term eating a pinch of salt can provide instant relief from the cramps. If you can, try to get some electrolyte drink with all the different essential salts in it. I got a good one from the chemist the other day when my son was sick which you mix with water. Some sport drinks are good for this.

Of course any symptoms should be taken seriously, so if this continues do see your doctor.

The body does have amazing healing properties. You can't speed up the process and in fact, you may do the body a favour by taking it easy with plenty of rest and just being normal rather than a 'must get healthy' type of regimen.

Well done on 9 days.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

We can't give medical advice here Kim.

I absolutely agree with Anna and Lenina - a Dr should be the first call with anything that causes you concern

D
Old 01-27-2010, 03:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the input and support!!

I definitely understand the medical advice piece but was just wondering from more experienced folks on here if they had something similar as if this is something that is part of the withdrawal or something that is a "whoa....never heard of that"

I will reach out to my the dr. tomorrow and run through the symptoms. I know that this is a shock to the body and I have my dr. appt Friday but am thinking this may require a quick run to the ER to make sure all is ok.

Thank you all again and I am so glad to have this forum and the wonderful folks who understand what I am going through and I them.

God Bless
Old 01-27-2010, 03:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

That's a good decision. Take care.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Hi Kmber,

How are you? Have you had some medical advice yet.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I know people who had very itchy skin (creepy crawly feeling) during detox. Please seek medical advise. Better be safe than sorry. You are doing so well.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Kimber,

How are you doing? Please check in and let us know how you're feeling. You've been in my thoughts.

Love,

Lenina
Old 01-29-2010, 01:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Just read this thread Kmber. Hope you are well and will check in soon.