Notices

Thirsty?

Old 01-05-2010, 09:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thirsty?

Hey guys,

I'm about a month sober now, and lately I've been waking up really dehydrated, even though I drink a fair amount of water during the day. The first time I had a moment of...oh crap, did I drink last night? lol Then remembered thank God that I didn't. But it's been that sort of extreme, dry tongue dehydration. I guess it could be the heat in my house, but it seems a little much for that. I'm wondering if it's a side effect to quitting alcohol that I'm unaware of. Anyway, just tossing that out there to see if anyone else went through it. Thanks!

Dari
Old 01-05-2010, 09:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Drink all the water you wish, eat a balanced diet and take a multivitamin and a B complex daily. I know my water intake went way up in early sobriety.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

YES!! I'm 22 days today and have been experiencing the same thing... to the point that my mouth hurts when I wake up. I've started sleeping w/ a gallon of water next to my bed so I don't have to come downstairs to refill in the middle of the night. Not sure if it's related to not drinking. I do know that there were several days early on where I was so thirsty (constantly drinking water but mouth still dry) I asked someone in chat about it- they said it was just my body rehydrating itself... which made sense to me.
I'm curious to see what others have to say about this.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Gee, I have been sober 25 years and I wake up with the dry mouth too. Hmmm, I'm thinking it has nothing to do with the booze, or lack of it. I have disovered it isn't fatal. If that is all you have to worry about you are in great shape.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
It might take awhile for your body to rehydrate. You say you drink a fair amount of water (?) Not sure what a fair amount is, I try to get at least 64oz per day and I too know of people who carry around a gallon with them.

Nothing to worry about, stay focused on your sobriety!
Old 01-05-2010, 10:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on your month of sobriety, RIGHT ON!!!!!

It could be the weather but just thought I'd ask this, since getting sober have you gotten a physical done with your doctor? Wouldn't hurt to go and find out that you are in fact healthy and aren't having any issues.........just to be on the safe side.

Keep up the awesome work!!! WOO HOO!!!
Old 01-05-2010, 02:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your month Dari.

I agree with Vegi - I doubt this is anything but you being in a closed up house with heating on or something, but a post sobriety physical couldn't hurt if you haven't had one

D
Old 01-06-2010, 04:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
totfit

It wouldn't hurt to go see a Doctor and get a physical. Constant thirst can be symptomatic of Diabetes and some other things. Most likely there is no problem, but a check up is always a good start to a new sober life. If nothing else it is a part of a good habit to develop of taking care of and caring for oneself.