Notices

New

Old 12-20-2009, 04:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New

I'm new and I'm confused and I don't know what to do. I thought I was managing okay, but tonight I realized I just traded a drug addiction to a work addiction. I am thinking about going to my first NA meeting tomorrow, but I am scared and I don't know if I will actually be able to walk through those doors.....I have never asked for help.....although I really need it
Old 12-20-2009, 04:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by startingfresh View Post
I'm new and I'm confused and I don't know what to do. I thought I was managing okay, but tonight I realized I just traded a drug addiction to a work addiction. I am thinking about going to my first NA meeting tomorrow, but I am scared and I don't know if I will actually be able to walk through those doors.....I have never asked for help.....although I really need it
Hey- and Welcome!
I did the same thing. I quit in May for a couple of months and really upped my exercise and started getting back into recording guitar again- had to replace my drinking time with something else!!! Also went to AA everyday- or at least 5-6 times per week.

To comment on your NA meeting, I was very apprehensive about my first AA meeting. What I found were many different types of people with the same disease I have- and it was quite wonderful and inspiring to go to the meetings. I got a new job- long hours but good pay- and just quit going. Dumb move, I was drinking two weeks after I stopped the meetings. I felt like I had complete control of myself and had 'graduated'. I hadn't graduated a damn thing- the disease had graduated me so I could start back. Friendly advice, give the meeting a shot with an open mind and don't feel obligated to say or do or feel anything. just listen, that's how I started. It helps to listen to others and stay grounded that the disease is still lurking- but you apparently have control for now so keep it- I am with you my friend.
Have a great Sunday!
Dub
Old 12-20-2009, 07:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

Red face

Hi I love your moniker startfresh. It has been my motto for staying sober and free of mindalterings. I just attempt to start fresh every day and not accumulate to many "virtuous days" of sobriety.

Keep at it brotha
Old 12-20-2009, 07:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
6/20/08

I have no experience with NA, others will be along that can help you. I just wanted to welcome you to SR. Glad you are here.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Nonexistent Willpower

Well

If you don't try an NA meeting you will be missing out on a whole new world.

What do you have to loose?
That's the big question, really big..

A lot of us have been around the clock you speak of.
Work, Fitness, Vacations, Moving, Realtionships....etc
The bad news is if we don't find a consistent daily solution we end up back at 12 o'clock. Right where we left off with our drug of no choice again.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Startingfresh

Welcome to SR. I think the best thing you can do is...just go.

I've never been to NA tho - if you want to check out more people who have, maybe come visit the substance abuse forum....

Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

D