Thread: New
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2009, 04:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
dedubya

Originally Posted by startingfresh View Post
I'm new and I'm confused and I don't know what to do. I thought I was managing okay, but tonight I realized I just traded a drug addiction to a work addiction. I am thinking about going to my first NA meeting tomorrow, but I am scared and I don't know if I will actually be able to walk through those doors.....I have never asked for help.....although I really need it
Hey- and Welcome!
I did the same thing. I quit in May for a couple of months and really upped my exercise and started getting back into recording guitar again- had to replace my drinking time with something else!!! Also went to AA everyday- or at least 5-6 times per week.

To comment on your NA meeting, I was very apprehensive about my first AA meeting. What I found were many different types of people with the same disease I have- and it was quite wonderful and inspiring to go to the meetings. I got a new job- long hours but good pay- and just quit going. Dumb move, I was drinking two weeks after I stopped the meetings. I felt like I had complete control of myself and had 'graduated'. I hadn't graduated a damn thing- the disease had graduated me so I could start back. Friendly advice, give the meeting a shot with an open mind and don't feel obligated to say or do or feel anything. just listen, that's how I started. It helps to listen to others and stay grounded that the disease is still lurking- but you apparently have control for now so keep it- I am with you my friend.
Have a great Sunday!
Dub