Notices

Introduction

Old 12-18-2009, 06:05 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Sarah- you're reply brought tears to my eyes, thanks for sharing a bit of your story. I wish there was someone like you down the street
Sarah aka blackbird, you know I had an old timer in AA tell me if I stuck around long enough I would find some one with the same basic life story I had...... you know he was right, I heard a gentlemen give a short version of his story and I swear that he had been following me and spying... I had only been sober about 3 or 4 months.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:14 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Awakening...

Welcome blackbirdsing. I hate slogans, but keep coming back.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:25 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Welcome blackbirdsing everyday that I am sober has been a blessing. Even the one's that were rough.

Each day is a new day and is better than the day before and yes, I'm feeling very good today. Hope you have a wonderful day!
Old 12-18-2009, 06:30 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
mergirl

Welcome!! I drank for 28 years, minus pregnancy. My parent were both drunks, and my children had drunks who raised them. I always believed I was a good mom, I went to all of the soccer games, choir concerts, volunteered in classrooms and for sport teams. It wasn't until my daughter was 21, and I got sober, when I realized I had passed on the same addict set of coping skills I had been taught. You have an opportunity here to learn a whole new way of life, and passing that beauty on to your children. Congratulations!
Old 12-18-2009, 07:10 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi Sara!

I am also new to sobriety, 20 days in now and I am truly grateful to be here in a safe space right now. I was a pretty dedicated drinker since about 17, I'm now 38. I don't know myself at all but I'm now ready and willing to start to explore the inner workings of this once sad, confused and lonely woman.

My first AA meeting was on the first day of my sober life. Walking in there, I felt like I was home. I realised that I had been holding my breath waiting to live for so long. If I go to a meeting feeling ok, I come out feeling good. If I go to a meeting feeling good, I come out feeling fantastic.

Day by day, keeping it simple and asking for guidance is about all I can manage at the moment but I'm ok with that because today I'm sober.

Congratulations on your sober time!
Old 12-18-2009, 01:11 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm increasingly grateful that I've found this place, and you all. Thank you for the continuing support and for sharing your stories with me.

A couple of years ago (when I 'quit' for a month or so) I remember trying to reach out to a couple of important people in my life. I told my dad and a friend that I wanted to quit drinking and gave them a few of my reasons.

I don't recall what all of them were, but I know I didn't actually admit that I was an alcoholic, I skirted that proclamation. I'm thinking now that I probably chose them because I knew that neither one of them would actually hold me accountable, and that I didn't use the term alcoholic because I was trying to pretend that once I got the rest of my life together I would be able to drink in moderation.

My intro post here was the first time in my life that I have ever actually admitted that I am an alcoholic. I had no idea what a relief it would be to simply admit that to someone else.

The idea of admitting my problem, even to myself, scared the crap out of me. The whole "once you're an alcoholic, you're always an alcoholic- you're just in recovery' thing scared the crap out of me. The idea of never drinking again seemed liked an impossibility. I didn't want to accept the label of alcoholic or have others in my life label me as such.

Delusions delusions delusions! Today is only day four, and I am gladly accepting the label of 'recovering alcoholic', it beats the heck out of 'pitiful drunk'.

I'm working on the one day at a time thing, but I'm worried about the holidays. My apple didn't fall far from the tree. Most of my family drinks heavily, with the exception of my mom.

I'm also worried about returning to school and work in January. (I'm on break now) What the correlation between ceramicists/potters and prolific drinking is, I don't know; but it's a huge part of the 'clay community'.

For now, I'm gonna try to focus on just getting through today and keeping the negative thoughts at bay.

Sarah, yes! That song is one of my favorites... I love birds and use a lot of bird imagery
in my artwork- they symbolize so much to me, even more so now.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:32 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Nonexistent Willpower

Where are you Blackbirdsing!?
Old 12-20-2009, 08:58 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

right here day 6!
Old 12-20-2009, 09:14 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Nonexistent Willpower

Yipee!!

Alright!~ So proud of YOU! I knew you could do it.

Now we need to track down mtnmagic.