Notices

Depression setting in...Anti-depressants needed?

Old 11-29-2009, 04:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Depression setting in...Anti-depressants needed?

I just saw a post of Paxil & Alcohol in a different forum, but thought I'd try a thread on this one. I have over the years been on numerous SSRI's, and SSNR's...all the while drinking like a fish. All prescribed by a General Physician. I had in my early 20's a major depressive episode....I'm now on Day 43 sober, and am really starting to dip into a negated, quasi-depressed state. I've a prescription on hand for Paxil 10 mg. Took one before bed thinking that if I went back on them, I'd help the depressed side of being sober...but now am fearful. I do know that SSRI's generally make me more anxious and I always drank heavily while on them....but then probably would be drinking heavily anyway. So not sure if that was a cause/contributed to it. What to do????

So much written on anxiety w/AD's, and I've finally got over my anxiety, blushing, jangly nerves in meetings at work etc., - but am totally flat and negated.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

This is really something that you need to talk to your dr about, rather than self-medicating.

For me, I had to get my depression diagnosed and treated properly, in order to stay sober. My depression began in my teens, long, long before I started drinking. In fact, my drinking was a desperate attempt to help the depression. Of course, alcohol is a depressant, so that never works. So, it could be the depression came first for you, or it could be a result of your drinking.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am sorry you are feeling down. I too, drank like a fish on antidepressants. That didn't work well. Now that I am sober and with the help of my shrink, I feel a lot better.

Folks everywhere are all over the map on antidepressants and meds in general, when really this is a personal and medical decision between you and your doctor. Be totally honest about how you are feeling with your doctor.

Check back and let us know how you are doing.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I dont have experience with either because I dont drink and I just now accepted I have mental issues and started taking meds.
But I agree wiht Anna. That is something you should talk to your Dr about. But be totally honest with them so they help you properly.
Hang in there. I know how it feels to be down and just empty. And I dont even know why most of the time. It will get better.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I completely agree with the previous posters that the best route is for you to discuss this with your doctor or psychiatrist.

My personal experience is that I believe I have fought with depression since my early teens but I also started drinking in my early teens. I don't know if the two are related or not. I first started taking anti-depressants in my mid twenties and they basically kept me from committing suicide but did not affect my drinking other than the time I would try and stop while taking them. I did not take them again until I had about 9 months sobriety. I have been on them every since. I have nearly 9 years sober and have not found the anti depressants to increase my alcohol obsession/craving. But I do work apply a recovery program to my life. Anti depressants have allowed me to be alive to enjoy my sobriety. They literally saved my life as without them I fall into a severe suicidal black hole of depression. My experience is that my brain does not produce the correct balance of chemicals in my brain causing me to fall into depression unless the chemical imbalance is corrected with medications. This may not be the case with everyone.

Some anti depressant can cause increased anxiety in some people. Also anti depressants in an undiagnosed bi polar person in a depressed state can cause a manic phase which can present with anxiety. People suffer from all different types of depression and not all require medications to relieve the depression. That is why the best route for you and anyone else is to have a trained professional work with you to help diagnose your depression and provide the proper treatment. Best of luck to you.