Notices

Soberliving

Old 11-28-2009, 03:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Soberliving

I have an interview with a sober house Dec 7th. And I am guessing if you need an interview, it may be hard to get accepted.
There sint even an opening until the 1st.
This place houses 16 men and women all addicts. Its in the next town north of me between here and Saratoga. No drug spots that I am aware of. Even further away from the ones I know of. Its an old turn of the century 2 story house that sits on 2 acres of land. Its kinda just outside the country like where I live now. I am not sure if they have public transportation but I think it may. There is a little strip right next to this house through town and right into their "downtown". which is like a small small old town type town. There are alot of businesses ther.
So finding a job shouldnt be hard if they are available. Lord knows I have exhausted every option around here.
I cant wait to get out of this house. Away from this sick toxic codependence I live in now. To be on my own and relying on myself and just to be free. Not so much free like to do what I want. but free on ym own free. Something I have wanted to do for so long but felt like I had an obligaiton to my gram and I couldnt survive on my own anyway.
But this is my chance. With the help I need. They also have apartment assistance when you finish the program. And the benefits you can get through this place to get you on your feet are not bad.
But of course I am scared. Nervous and unsure of the unknown. I am def going. But I get sick to my stomach thinking of leaving and living in a place with a bunch of people I dont know and having a structured life that is completely focused on recovery for 6 to 9 mos. Thats intense.
But I need it. I need it bad.
Anyway. I know I have asked this before a long time ago. But has anyone had experience with sober living? Half way house or quarter housing?
I am just curious as to what to expect. I read on a site what they expect you to do while you stay there. And iI can deal with it. But I just want to hear others here that I trusts opinions and experiences.
Old 11-28-2009, 03:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No sober housing experience here, just wanted to say that it sounds good... in the sense that you sound convinced that it's what you need to do. Challenging too. I hope you get it
Old 11-28-2009, 04:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

No experience here either, Trish.

I wish you well with the interview.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When I first mentioned this to my aunt when I was in the mental hospital last week. And told her about the apartment assistance. She like threw me off. Saying well, Its been you and gram. Thats just how its always been. Like she thought I shouldnt leave. That made me feel bad like I am abandoning my gram. I am only up the road like 15 20 mins. My gram may have to give up some ameneties. But she can afford this place on her own. She can get rid of the internet. Even knock the cable down without my box and the dvr. The electric wont be as high since I wont be here. I use alot of electric. Betweent he computer always on and the light while I am in here. It is one of those energy spiral bulbs but still. And I cant sleep with the tv off. So no more tv on all night. She wont have to pay my car insurance because I am taking off the road. She can swing it. And its this that always keeps me from doing what I need to do for myself. She has always been there for me and sacrificed more than I could even imagine one person could. So I feel like I owe her. But I need to do this for myself. Where will I be when she is gone if I am still using? I will kill myself when that day comes and I dont want to do that. I dont even want to think like that.
I need to learn how to survive on my own eventually. Its hard but I am going to do what I have to do for now. And right now its just getting into sober living.
I am not even going to think about what happens if I dont get to go to sober living. I am a wreck already.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

aysha, I sent you a new post and a private message with my phone number. My post is not showing so Im not sure if you got my pm or not. Illl try posting this and see if it goes through....
Old 11-28-2009, 05:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My boyfriend is in a sober house right now and it has been a great decision for him.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow..I had a serious anger problem earlier. And I dont even know why. I need to get my other med filled. Thats the main one, the mood stablizer.
I feel alot better now. I got up and took a bath. Went to my cousis house and helped her work through some crap. And we went to Walmart. So I got out.
I am nervous if they dont let me in. There are a bunch of sober houses around here. I didnt know that until I searched for info on that one.
Either way. I am going to make something happen.
And I have to stay in the now and stop projecting. I am so bad for doing that alot.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by Aysha View Post
I am nervous if they dont let me in. There are a bunch of sober houses around here. I didnt know that until I searched for info on that one.
Either way. I am going to make something happen.

I know you won't give up. Be persistent...someone somewhere will help you. You know you are fighting for your life...the hard part is probably getting those people to understand that...to know where you've been and where you could be headed if you don't get help.

If I could I'd send loads of mega good vibes your way. Keep your head up, girl.