Notices

not_able_to_drive_any_input?

Old 11-10-2009, 04:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

not_able_to_drive_any_input?

Hello-

Just to recap - I recently "relapsed" and got another dui involving another car crash and I just found out my car is totalled.

Besides the $ part of it (or lack there of , my license will be suspended for a year, and b/c of that, there really is no reason to get another car. I mean I could drive until I'm sentenced and yes, that could be another few months, but then what? I'd be paying for a car I cannot drive and my insurance is going to be crazy after this.

So, I was wondering if anyone out there had any experience with not being able to drive for a period of time and how you overcame that?

Our society, or at least in the Atlanta area, is based on driving. I do beleive I deserve to be punished, so I'm not looking for sympathy, just what was your experience? In my case, I've got work, outpatient rehab, and AA meetings I've got to attend.

Thanks!
Kjell
Old 11-10-2009, 04:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

As far as I know, all states will allow your attorney to petition for an "occupational license." The courts know you need to get back and forth to work, and the occupational license will allow you to drive during certain hours of the day so you can get to work, grocery shopping and other necessities. Check with your attorney regarding the cost, etc.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Kjell - I underwent some time while living in Chicago where I could no longer drive. Mine was an accident and my insurance went so high that we decided to just pull my license and let my then boyfriend/now husband drive. I took the buses, taxis, and subway. Benefits of living in a big city. I don't know how I would do it now except car pooling. Hope someone that can help will post. Sorry!
Old 11-10-2009, 04:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
As far as I know, all states will allow your attorney to petition for an "occupational license." The courts know you need to get back and forth to work, and the occupational license will allow you to drive during certain hours of the day so you can get to work, grocery shopping and other necessities. Check with your attorney regarding the cost, etc.

My first dui I was able to get a "hardship" where I could only drive to and from work and this lasted 4 months. This is my 2nd and I believe I'm up for a hard 1 year suspension from everything I've read and from talking with my attorney.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Oh. Well, that sucks. If you live close to a bus route, that could help, and of course, asking friends and family to help you out might be necessary. I know what a pain in the arse that can be though. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like you have a lot of options. I'm sorry.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't mean to be harsh here, but, it doesn't sound like AA or anything is working for you. Perhaps you should just start riding MARTA and leave the driving and drinking alone.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

To be fair, rangerbob, from what I understand by reading kjell's posts over the past several weeks, he has been sober since he got this DWI...going to meetings and outpatient rehab. He accepts responsibility for what happened and knows he has consequences to pay.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by Rangerbob View Post
I don't mean to be harsh here, but, it doesn't sound like AA or anything is working for you. Perhaps you should just start riding MARTA and leave the driving and drinking alone.
I don't think you're being harsh. ...and you've got a good point.

Like I said in my post, I'm not looking for sympathy, but I'm hoping some folks can share what it was like not being able to drive and how they coped with it.

My car is totalled and my license will be suspended, so I won't be driving anytime soon.

I do, however, take some offense to you saying AA isn't working. I've only been in the program for a few months, maybe less. I've heard it takes some time and "it takes what it takes". I will continue to work AA, SR, and the outpatient rehab that I start on Monday.

Thanks and unfortuneatly, Marta doesn't come this far north in the Atlanta suburbs.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
To be fair, rangerbob, from what I understand by reading kjell's posts over the past several weeks, he has been sober since he got this DWI...going to meetings and outpatient rehab. He accepts responsibility for what happened and knows he has consequences to pay.
Thanks Suki - that is true. I was six weeks sober.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Six weeks sober doesn't mean anything unless you stay sober. Once you use again, you start back at day one. It's a harsh reality. You can justify it however you like, but the fact remains that you used and got into some trouble. I'm not faulting you for doing what you did, I'm just stating a fact.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Lost my licence, mostly just walk everywhere. I live in a big city with questionable public transportation, so if I have to go more than about 7 miles, I'll plan the trip with the bus. Otherwise, I just walk. Of course, I do a lot less things these days, and grocery shopping is inconvenient to say the least.

Take care...
Old 11-10-2009, 05:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sorry, in my rehab group, I was voted "Most Likely to Look at Things Analytically". I'll explain all of that in my upcoming 14 day by day rehab post.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I would move somewhere close to a bus route if possible. I have a friend that did this, it was a pain but doable.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

My license has been suspended since the middle of 1991 due to numerable D.U.I's.
i walk, catch a bus, and call for rides to get where i need to go.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

Marta. Plus, bikes are allowed on Marta. Marta includes the train and buses.
http://www.itsmarta.com/
Old 11-11-2009, 05:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

2 dwi's in less the a yrs time here . Hadnt even finished going to court for the 1st one when I got the 2nd , Ill try and make this short .
I lost my lisc for a yr but ended up being two yrs . because I didnt know that I could of gotten my lisc back prior to going to court this giving me a " work permit " my Atty failed to explain this , how ever in the end perhaps it was for the best , it was a yr doing classes and more classes and out patient then extended care . , reason they waitied a yr for court was not only the classes , but I was pregnant and they didnt want me in jail while I with child . so in the end it was 2 yrs time I waited . I got rides , I took the bus . I did what ever I had to do to do what I needed to do . adding seeing my dr for my baby .
Inconvient .. you be ya .. no one likes to ask for rides , but no one wants to go to a funeral neither.. what I did was very wrong . I accepted my actions and did my time in jail as well as loosing my privlage for driving. and all the other things I was asked to do .. I didnt loose my car it wasnt wrecked . How ever I didnt have a lisc to drive it
One day .. I thought I could drive it just up the street for a few things ( was walkin distance but was cold out ) for some strange reason I happend to walk around the back of the car and noticed my stickers were expired! ... fate ? luck ? who knows .. but I garentee If I had gotten behind that wheel and drove I would of been busted ! I was sober had been for several months but the point is .. theres a reason I wasnt sposed to be driving I broke the law.. and had to pay for my actions ... that same day I called a friend and told him he could HAVE my car .. it leaked oil and needed work .. wasnt no big deal .. but going to jail for something so stupid as driving w/o a lisc or ins after all I had been thu was ... so I gave it away !leaving all temptations gone !
6 yrs later Im sober and with out and form of of tickets etc and have a good driving record other then the dwi which will off my record in 4 more yrs .
Dont be afraid to ask for rides , being in a big place as you are theres always someone going a way your going .
I did one thing.. even tho I didnt have a lisc I started paying for car ins ( sr22 for 3 yrs ) even if i didnt have a car .. and the price is the same one way or the other .
Keep workin a progam do what they say .. If I didnt listen I wouldnt be here today sober happy and free from the bondage that booze shackled me in ... best of luck to you ~ Endzy ~
Old 11-11-2009, 05:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kjell View Post
I do, however, take some offense to you saying AA isn't working. I've only been in the program for a few months, maybe less. I've heard it takes some time and "it takes what it takes". I will continue to work AA, SR, and the outpatient rehab that I start on Monday.
Good keep taking offence and keep getting your ass to meetings, don't expect everyone to agree or support your choices...and ffs be careful who's advice you listen to or it may be back to the bar for you;-)
Old 11-11-2009, 07:10 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I think if you let your insurance lapse, it will be even harder to get. Talk to your them before canceling it.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:14 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I know where you're coming from about the lost license. I biked through an Idaho winter once. And while it wasn't fun, it did force me to reach out to others for help. That's something I was never good at it.

Also, it's bearable if your perception is right in recovery. I remember heading back to jail one night (work release), it's already dark, cold and raining, and I'm riding a bike. And I'm thinking, 'This sucks,' but another thought came to me. And that was just doing it right, paying my debt, knowing that I would never have to do this again. And it was OK.

I couldn't have had that perception without being current in taking the steps.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:34 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I had a friend who lived and worked in a rehab home (he started there to get sober himself) and they provided transportation for work, and essential trips. This is in a city much smaller than Atlanta, so I'd suggest you beat the bushes for any and all information on rehab homes and programs.

I'll bet there are ways to find one, and by providing service hours, etc, get some of your transportatin needs met, as well as learn many other useful life skills from those who are on the same journey.

Your recovery has to be the number one priority, your life depends on it. More important than where you live, any current job you have, etc. If and when it is, you will do whatever it takes to get and stay sober, even if that means moving to where the resources are or finding a different job, friends, etc.

Where I live, folks in your situation get mopeds and scooters