Notices

Coffee

Old 11-10-2009, 03:50 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
FREAKING AWESOME!

In detox there was NO caffenine and it drove me nuts! The funny thing was that if you were having headaches because of it the docs would prescribe caffenine pills. Crazy? I think so.

Anyway, I told my husband that if I didn't have a Mountain Dew when he came to get me he would be dead!
Old 11-10-2009, 04:57 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Oh yes...Coffee and cigarette consumtion increased big time and now these are my new DOC as well ElegantlyWasted...LOL. Need 2 quit both and soon.
Astro, sounds mightly good. I will have to try that drink. First, I need to buy the nescafe and a shaker.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:02 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Enjoying a cup as we speak.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:04 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

In rehab...the coffee pot was always full, and the cigarettes took place of alcohol. I don't drink coffee, but, I've never smoked that much in my entire life.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:05 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
"I think I can. I think I can"

sign me up for the coffee club too! Never had coffee after my first two morning cups now it is an all day affair...Trying not to create another potentially bad habit/addiction but for now one step at a time. Love, love , love my Keurig even more now

Jo
Old 11-10-2009, 05:41 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I was wondering about the coffee and thought about starting a thread myself.

I quit coffee at the beginning of the summer and replaced it with water (3 lieters/day -- I love the Fiji water ... best tasting.)

When I was in the hospital I was drinking the tea and when I got out I drank tea all day long (my job has me working at home right now right now.) I switched to instant coffee all day and actually went out and bought a coffee maker on Saturday.

..and I react to it the same as NightStalker...drink strong coffee until 2:00am hop in bed, fall asleep right away and stay there until for eight hours.

I am a bit concerned about "switching adictions" but I should get off the cigs first before dealing with the coffee

D
Old 11-10-2009, 08:23 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
6/20/08

I'm a coffee girl.....love it with the flavored creamers. In the afternoon I switch to diet caffeine free coke (exactly what is the point of that, anyway?!).

I love a vanilla latte from Starbucks....good thing there aren't any around here....I'd go broke.

Just lately I've been getting a lot of headaches. I was told that could possibly be caused by dehydration...so I'm really trying to make an effort to up the water intake. That would be the healthiest thing, anyway.

Not sure I said a darn thing....but there it is!
Old 11-11-2009, 06:21 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who's drinking a lot more coffee. I'm on my third large cup right now at work, and it's only 8:20 am. I don't feel any negative effects from it, however. My only concern is that I feel tired a lot of the time - so much so that caffeine has no effect. I think it may be the meds. I've discussed it with my doctor, but his only suggestion is that I take the Prozac at night, and the Wellbutrin in the morning. I haven't tried that yet, but I think I will soon.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:35 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

i live on water, milk, coffee and tea...
Old 11-11-2009, 08:37 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I'm on my fourth cup already, gosh, I'm such a pig, lol.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:16 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Personally, I think those Starbucks pumpkin spice lattes are a gift from the gods. Even sex and pizza pale in comparison.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:53 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
The truth shall set you free

Health Issues associated with Coffee and Caffeine

There are four main health issues caused by coffee and the over-consumption of caffeine:

1) Exhausted Adrenal Glands: Caffeine is a central nervous system stimulant. It causes the adrenal glands secrete adrenaline, the hormone your body depends on in emergencies to elevate your heart rate, increase your respiration and blood pressure for a rapid flight-or-fight response. When you overuse stimulants, the adrenals become exhausted. If your caffeine sensitivity has diminished or you’re one of those who claims you can drink 3 shots of espresso and go right to sleep, guess what? Your adrenals have given up responding. This means you have less resistance to stress, which leaves you vulnerable to health hazards such as environmental pollutants and disease pathogens.

As we age, the adrenals become more and more important to us as the production center of the essential youth and sex hormones including DHEA, pregnenolone, progesterone, testosterone and estrogen. Many people in their forties find they can no longer tolerate the same level of caffeine consumption as they could in their twenties and thirties. The multiple effects of aging become apparent in the forties and the body frequently shows an increased variety of reactions to the toxicity of coffee and caffeine.

The adrenals can be considered the storage center for the vital force, your inherited reservoir of energy. They need nourishing to keep them in optimal health. Think of your adrenals as a bank account. If you continue to make withdrawals without any deposits, you will hit bottom with a looming overdraft in the form of depleted energy and health.

2) Severe Blood Sugar Swings: Caffeine forces the liver to release glycogen into the blood stream. The pancreas responds to the sudden rise in blood sugar by releasing insulin, the hormone which causes excess carbohydrates to be stored as fat. Within the span of an hour or two, the result is a sharp blood sugar drop resulting in a state of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). That’s when you think it’s time for another cup of coffee and the whole cycle starts up again.

As Barry Sears advises in his book, The Zone, achieving a hormonal balance and blood sugar stability allows you to maintain your natural weight and optimal energy level. He counsels that the breakdown of caffeine causes the pancreas to release too much insulin, thus creating a climate in which excess carbohydrates are stored as fat and are unavailable for use as energy by your brain. Although caffeine is a metabolic stimulant, the ultimate effect is to increase your appetite and contribute to weight gain and thus caffeine should be avoided by anyone working to reduce body fat.

3) Acid Imbalance: Over 208 acids in coffee can contribute to indigestion and a wide variety of health problems resulting from over-acidity associated with arthritic, rheumatic and skin irritations. Many people experience a burning sensation in their stomach after drinking coffee because coffee increases the secretion of acid in the stomach. Optimal health calls for an alkaline pH balance in the body.

Caffeine breaks down into uric acid, which the body excretes through the kidneys. An excess of uric acid taxes the kidneys and can cause kidney stones and gout. Additionally, men have to be concerned about prostate conditions that may be aggravated by coffee consumption.

4) Essential Mineral Depletion: Coffee inhibits the absorption of some nutrients and causes the urinary excretion of calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron and trace minerals, all essential elements necessary for good health. Women need to be concerned about osteoporosis as menopause sets in. Studies show that women who drink coffee have an increased incidence of osteoporosis compared to non-coffee drinkers. Men are not immune to osteoporosis either.

*There are a number of health conditions for which doctors advise their patients to eliminate coffee and all caffeine from their diet.

Acid indigestion
Anxiety, irritability and nervousness
Candida or yeast problems
Colitis, diverticulitis, diarrhea and other irritable bowel symptoms
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and other auto-immune disorders
Diabetes or hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)
Dizziness, Meniere’s syndrome or tinnitus (ringing in the ears)
Gout (Elevated Uric Acid levels)
Heart disease or heart palpitations
High blood pressure
High cholesterol
Insomnia and interrputed or poor quality sleep
Liver disease and gallbladder problems such as gallstones
Kidney or bladder problems including kidney stones
Migraines or other vascular headaches
Osteoporosis
Skin irritations, rashes and dryness
Ulcers, heartburn, and stomach problems such as hiatal hernias
Urinary tract irritation
Female Health Issues: Women in particular need to be concerned about their caffeine intake during pregnancy because caffeine crosses the placental barrier to the fetus and studies show higher incidence of miscarriage, infertility and low birth weight in those women who drink too much caffeine. PMS symptoms and fibrocystic breast disease are both aggravated by caffeine. Hot flashes and other symptoms caused by hormonal fluctuations during menopause also are aggravated by caffeine. Coffee causes the body to excrete calcium and other minerals. Women at risk for osteoporosis need to eliminate their intake of caffeine and coffee.

Male Health Issues: Coffee is an irritant to the urinary tract and bladder. It is also a diuretic that aggravates conditions associated with frequent urination. Eliminating coffee and caffeine often relieves symptoms associated with frequent urination due to enlarged prostate glands.

Me, I like it black no sugar

Ivan
Old 11-11-2009, 10:09 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Good topic. Have been in a few meetings that this very topic has started fights. Of course the coffee drinkers won! Just joking.
If I was 16 days sober I would focus on what is going to kill me sooner. The booze or the coffee. Hmmm....Well, in my experience I have never thrown up on myself or crashed my car or slept with a stranger because I was to hopped up on caffeine!
I find that if I start eliminating all my addictions at once then I tend to relapse very quickly. One addiction at a time has worked best for me.
Trust me I am an expert: I am off Alcohol 1yr, cigarettes 4 months, diet coke (6 + cans a day) 4 months. I need my coffee and some sugar for now.
Congrats on 16 days! I am raising my coffee cup to you.
Jules
Old 11-11-2009, 10:18 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

I HATE coffee!!! LOL, I have been asked "What kind of an Alcoholic are you? No coffee, don't smoke, do you really belong at this meeting?" LOL, it was said with laughter, truthfully, I have never like coffee, I have tried it 351.2 different ways but ewwwww, way to bitter for me. I am a Diet Pepsi gal through and through...LOL. Give me some M&Ms to go with it and I am a happy gal!
Old 11-11-2009, 11:09 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I appreciate the input. I've switched over to green tea this afternoon. The information that Timebuster posted about exhausted adrenal glands may be the reason I'm always so tired nowadays. I always feel exhausted, and I find myself going to a 6pm meeting, then going straight home to bed. I'm often asleep by 8pm, then wake up typically around 2am. I usually watch a few minutes of TV, then go back to sleep until around 5am. During the day, even though I drink coffee and green tea constantly, I still can barely keep my eyes open. Very frustrating, considering I couldn't sleep at all the first week of not drinking.

I'm also eating LOADS of candy. We keep bowls of various candies around the office, and my waste can is FULL of emply wrappers. Snickers, Reece's Cups, Nerds, Butterfingers, Baby Ruths, Sweet Tarts, Skittles, etc.

It's very interesting to me how things change on their own when alcohol is taken out of the picture. It's almost like getting aquainted with a person I haven't seen in a long, long time. On the most part, I like it a lot.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:52 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Well, you're no fun Timebuster....

Surly, I didn't like it either, but there's a flavored cream to suit anyone - & it'll mask the yuck taste of the coffee.

Coffeenut, I get headaches when my "coffee level" is low.