Notices

do a dish...take a sip, spray the counters...take a sip...

Old 10-29-2009, 06:25 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Well you are doing it Jo. Proud of you. You did or are doing 24 hours and you are posting when you need to. You got it going on so far. Give yourself a big pat on the back. Now repeat this tomorrow.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:30 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Yeah, good point Dee. You don't just have to get "out" to get away from alcohol. My house is now an alcohol free zone and it's much better that way!
Old 10-29-2009, 09:40 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

dojoro,

I was EXACTLY the same in my drinking. Most of my drinking happened in the kitchen while making, serving and cleaning up dinner. When I first got sober, I had to change that habit for a bit. It was probably 60 days before I could cook comfortable in the kitchen. So, I did a lot of crock pot cooking, quick meals and eating out those first 60 days. I joined the gym and took my daughter there several nights a week. And I spent a lot of time in meetings.

I have been sober a year and a half now and I LOVE my life! Every day i do not drink is a success!

Best of luck to you. You can do this!
Old 10-29-2009, 10:05 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
but I changed my mindset, I changed my approach
and I changed my life.D
I feel this is a very strong point. We have to learn how to do things differently. We can't go back, only forward. I went to a party a couple of weeks ago and found that I didn't know how to interact without drinking. I had to make a change. I must admit, I miss the drinking because it was so ingrained within my lifestyle. But the sober Padraic realizes that there is no return to that without paying a severe price, very possibly with my life. With that in mind, I am working on new skills to do old tricks. I think you may need to do the same. It isn't easy, but the end result will be far more rewarding than the path of the bottle.

Peace—
Padraic
Old 10-30-2009, 01:24 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

dojoro: I could have written your post word for word! And obviously so could a few other women....I was trapped in the same behavior. For me it was beer and wine. I switched to beer for a while thinking I would "save my liver and kill my waistline"....but if you are drinking 10:2% beers, it is right up there close to the alcohol content of wine: who was I fooling? Me...

Now, twice a week I prepare dinner earlier in the day or even the night before because I go to my home AA meeting every Monday and I recently attended a relapse prevention class on Thursdays.

The feeling of hating kitchen duty went away for me. I found that my annoyance with all kinds of work disappeared when I stopped drinking. I thought drinking made the chores easier, but I realize now that my negative attitude towards the work ultimately started with alcohol in the first place: alcohol made me irritable and depressed .

Once you get the juice out of your system, you will start noticing changes....good for you in making it through these first difficult days!
Old 10-30-2009, 10:39 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Well, for sure I, and all the others, know very well how hard you are struggling and how hard your fight can be. Look at all the people who care due to the common bond we have.
For me it was an empty stomach. I really liked to drink instead of eating but the craving was much less if I was full... so every day at 3PM, I eat and fill my belly so I skip that starving feeling. It is helping, along with all the people that make this a forum...