Notices

went_to_court_-_and_going_to_the_big_house

Old 10-13-2010, 12:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

went_to_court_-_and_going_to_the_big_house

Hi all-

My day in court finally came from my 2nd dui car accident arrest back in October of 2009.

I’m not proud of what it took to get me sober and the danger I put myself and society in as a direct result of drinking and driving, but I am proud of what I’ve done since the arrest. I finally took responsibility for my alcoholism and participated in my own recovery – what a concept!

So, next Friday, I will be in court again, accepting our plea deal and then going to jail for 5 days. Of course I’m on probation for the next few years and I’ve got a lot of other things to do, like wear an alcohol detection bracelet for 6 months, but nothing I can’t overcome (and nothing I didn’t deserve).

I’m still an alcoholic and still just one drink away from disaster, but what a strange, long trip it’s been. Getting sober for me has been awkward, painful, and slow to realize the progress, but the progress is there. The program of AA is working and I’m changing who I am…which is the point as the same me will drink again.

…and like Snarf said – I will go in and carry the message. Maybe something I say will help someone else…maybe.

Viva recovery! Viva SR! …and Viva AA!

Kjell
Old 10-13-2010, 12:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Dude, right on! It's a very respectable and reasonable approach. Just think, you do this right and stay in the actions you've been given, and you never have to do this again. Face up to it with some pride and gratitude in your heart. Happy for you.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

great perspective! congrats on your recovery! jail ain't the big house though. just sayin'
Old 10-13-2010, 12:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

no one died, never forget the feeling. Your disasters are your assets!
Old 10-13-2010, 12:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

You da man, Kjell. Glad I got to experience this just before you (same jail too!) so I could give you an idea what to expect. You'll be fine, bro. If this is what it took to get us off the booze, it's all so worth it in the end.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by augustwest View Post
great perspective! congrats on your recovery! jail ain't the big house though. just sayin'
...and for THAT, I am very thankful
Old 10-13-2010, 01:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great attitude Kjell

D
Old 10-13-2010, 01:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey Kjell,

Just wanted to tell you that you've already helped some-me.

You're a real man, and a sober one, for facing your dilemma the way you are.

Thank you, your post meant a lot to me.

Best to you.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A work in progress

You'll be fine, dude. Soon this will be just part of your story, and you can tell newcomers all about the YETs.

Do the way Snarf did, keep posting right up to the minute you go in, and we'll all be with you in spirit.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Keep it going Kjell and soon this will be behind you and further strengthen your resolve.

All the best.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Snarf and Kjell = powers of example aka "walking the talk"
Old 10-14-2010, 05:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

Originally Posted by Kjell View Post
...and for THAT, I am very thankful
haha. no kidding! i've been there, thanks to my addiction and terrible decisions, and it's no fun.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Yer the man Kjell...... seems you've learned a thing or two about "His will, not mine, be done" and that's a lesson that will save yer BUTT when the going gets tough. Awesome man..... I'm really proud of you.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Thanks everyone!
Old 10-14-2010, 12:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
EntertheSticks

Kjell I stated this before in your thread a bit back about this but I want to restate it again:

Those mistakes you made were truly a blessing for you and the people around you. Like I said: imagine if you had gotten away with it that time and in the future managed to kill somebody, yourself, or do something far worse.

I think the 5 days is also a blessing as it seems Judges and the legal system are getting stricter and stricter on these matters. When I first read your story I truly thought you were going to get a pretty severe punishment and I am very happy to hear that you are still talking about your recovery more so than the punishment for your drunken actions. So many people I see at the AA meetings I have been simply are there for show (in regards to legal matters), with you it appears to be something much more profound and I have to tip my cap to you.

Keep up the good work, lift your head high, and be a bit careful about the preachy stuff in jail. (that is just honest advice)
Old 10-14-2010, 01:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by milwaukeeguy85 View Post
Keep up the good work, lift your head high, and be a bit careful about the preachy stuff in jail. (that is just honest advice)
Thank you for that very important reminder. I'll only share my experience if I'm asked to. My main goal is to keep quiet and get outta there!
Old 10-14-2010, 01:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Been there done that. Take from it what you can. I have been property of Florida DOC since 2007, released and on the street since 2008 on probation and have one more year of house arrest. Its tough but its what it took to realise that I never have to live like that again. Good luck and good job.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Great news!
Recovery in action.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
EntertheSticks

ya I havent had that much experience but being in and out of Milwaukee HOC for various drinking related charges, I basically learned to shut my mouth. Then again I really had no message to give other than "i need to call my lawyer" and begging my mom for money to put in my canteen account. Jail is not fun, but knowing how long you are going to be there makes it a bit easier.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:58 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by stugotz View Post
Been there done that. Take from it what you can. I have been property of Florida DOC since 2007, released and on the street since 2008 on probation and have one more year of house arrest. Its tough but its what it took to realise that I never have to live like that again. Good luck and good job.
Thanks Stu! I know from your posts you've had some experience in this department and you are proof we can get sober no matter what.