Notices

Wilderness camps/recovery centers for adults?

Old 10-25-2009, 07:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

Wilderness camps/recovery centers for adults?

Does anyone know if there are wilderness camp rehabs for adults? I see a lot of them for teens and maybe folks up to 25, but none for adults. I think I would very much benefit by this kind of setting. I have searched and searched the web and made phone calls to referral places, but found nothing really based on the camping/wilderness survival model. I am 41 and in decent health. If I feel there is any kind of higer power, it might be nature. Being immersed in it and experiencing it first hand could be a wonderful way to build confidence, witness it's beauty (and terror) and be away from the fray of 'civilization'. Wish I as 19 again. Any input would be appreciated,

H. Pup
Old 10-25-2009, 07:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

sure! we call it ... montana!

lol

seriously - I thought there was more than one over in Missoula?

like an 'outward bound' but for addicts?
Old 10-25-2009, 07:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorta, but mainly a rehab where you camped, and worked as a small group, and got in touch with nature, as corny as that sounds. Not sure I'm a hard-core 'addict', but a weekend drinker who goes too far sometimes.

I'm not looking for a boot camp setting by any means, but a place that didn't look like a luxury home on the sea(the kind of rehab I could not afford anyway!), or some blah looking hospital setting. I'm out East, in Maryland, and between here and DC it's nothing but city and sprawl and car, cars, cars everywhere, not to mention soot and smog. I was thinking maybe if insurance paid for a rehab, why not have it be something with a greater chance of taking me out of my current element, that might give me a chance to reconnect to the earth, it's rhythms and life sustaining energy? I have an intuitive sense this would be the best 'fit', given my life and longings.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

maybe try googling the state first? I'm sure there's something like that in Missoula. Or just south of missoula.

They might only do it in the summer, tho.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
live to ride ride to live

I went to a program in NH. that offered day trips of kayaking repelling and things of that sort... it was private but not too expensive...probably has something to do with not being open anymore. it was a good program too.
good luck and take it a day at a time
Old 10-26-2009, 01:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know of one in Mississippi but it is Christ-based.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
I know of one in Mississippi but it is Christ-based.
Thanks for the replies, I will have to keep looking. They'd probably tar and feather me at the Christain one, I'm pretty much an agnostic/pagan/earth worshipper! Not a huge Bible fan, here, was not raised on it, not baptised.

Hopefully I can find a nature-based program someday, if anyone has heard of one, gimmie a shout,

H. Pup
Old 10-27-2009, 04:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Still looking! Weird this is not more common.

Maybe I should just save up the money, buy a tent, and take a DIY approach, disappear into the wilderness, and see what happens. Would be nice to maybe talk to a shrink on a cell-phone every so often for that counseling angle, but not having a shrink or a cell-phone, that would be kinda tough.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I would say make your own program. Outward Bound is a wonderful choice, my brother has been on numerous occasions, while you are there do some reading. Go with the knowledge that you have an alcohol problem, learn about the disease, eat nutritous food, exercise, and learn a little about who you are. IMO that would be far more beneficial than sitting in lecture halls for thirty days.
SH
Old 10-15-2010, 07:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey! Maybe put a phone call into NOLS and Outward Bound...explain your situation and ask for recommendations...if anyone knows about the type of program you are looking for I think it would be them.

I went to NOLS before college for a couple weeks...it is one of my few regrets that I did not do a full semester with them prior to starting college.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Old thread.

But, I am way into wilderness tripping... I am lucky, my brother, also recovered likes doing the same thing... He organizes these kinds of trips for AA in his district... Canoeing, backpacking...

OTH... Most older aldults (well 30 and up) who do real outward bound kind stuff aren't doing it for the purpose of drinking...