Old 10-13-2010, 12:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Kjell
i've done my almost

went_to_court_-_and_going_to_the_big_house

Hi all-

My day in court finally came from my 2nd dui car accident arrest back in October of 2009.

I’m not proud of what it took to get me sober and the danger I put myself and society in as a direct result of drinking and driving, but I am proud of what I’ve done since the arrest. I finally took responsibility for my alcoholism and participated in my own recovery – what a concept!

So, next Friday, I will be in court again, accepting our plea deal and then going to jail for 5 days. Of course I’m on probation for the next few years and I’ve got a lot of other things to do, like wear an alcohol detection bracelet for 6 months, but nothing I can’t overcome (and nothing I didn’t deserve).

I’m still an alcoholic and still just one drink away from disaster, but what a strange, long trip it’s been. Getting sober for me has been awkward, painful, and slow to realize the progress, but the progress is there. The program of AA is working and I’m changing who I am…which is the point as the same me will drink again.

…and like Snarf said – I will go in and carry the message. Maybe something I say will help someone else…maybe.

Viva recovery! Viva SR! …and Viva AA!

Kjell