Notices

Where to start???

Old 10-25-2009, 04:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Where to start???

Hi There,

I am EXTREMELY new to this and really don't know where to begin... I guess I'll start where it all began... oh please bear with me... LOL...

I started suffering with migraines at the age of 4. Doctors were always stumped as to why and so, by the age of six I was taking Tylenol w/codeine. CT scans, MRI's, brain scans... they never could find anything; eventually they said it was all based on genetics and that they would probably ease up as I grew older.

I am now in my early 30's. About two years ago they came back.... with a vengeance!!!! I even had teeth pulled in an effort to try and find a solution!!!!! More CT scans, MRI's... still nothing but a small cyst in the sinus's (not really uncommon). Here is where it all started.... *sigh*...

My family doctor started me off with Tylenol 3's for the pain. They worked SOME of time, but if a real nasty migraine wanted to appear, I ended up in the hospital every single time (about 4 a month). In an effort to alleviate some of my my pain my doctor put me on Endocet. To make a REALLY long story short here (as this has been on going now for 2 YEARS), I have successfully managed to get myself up to 120 in about 10 days. This is the average. I am not proud of this... I feel ashamed and lost.

I am just hoping to connect with a few people who might be able to understand me, as most of my family won't. I really don't know where to start.

Thank you for taking the time to read my novel!!
Migrainegirl
Old 10-25-2009, 04:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! I don't have any experience with pills, I am a recovering wino. I'm sure someone will come along soon with more knowledge of pills. We have a Substance Abuse forum here where people have more experience with abuse of pain meds. Give it a look.

Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Glad you found us! You've come to a great place for support!
Old 10-25-2009, 04:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi migrainegirl

I have no experience with Endocet, but the first step is always to consult with your doctor.

Be honest with them - tell them the whole situation.
Please do that ASAP.

D
Old 10-25-2009, 04:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I'm glad you found us!

Migraine's are miserable. I've been getting them since my early teens. For me, the trigger is stress and I try really hard to reduce stress in my life. I have found, that if I catch a migraine before it starts (I get nausea and lights in front of my eyes), taking Advil can do the trick.

The main thing is to talk to your dr and try to come up with a plan that will get you off the medication and able to deal with your headache pain. I wish you well.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

wecome to SR!

I've a friend in recovery who recently had botox injections for her migraines. It worked for her for about 6 months.
And that was it.

I hope you make many new friends here!

Again, welcome!
Old 10-25-2009, 06:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Old 10-25-2009, 10:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the kind words and advice! It's nice to know that I can talk about this without having to feel as embarrassed as I do around my family!

I started doing the botox injections back in May 09. It seems to have worked for a little bit of the intensity, but now I find myself taking the endocet at the ON-SIGHT of just a mild headache!!

I have quite a bit of stress in my life right now (mind you... who doesn't right?), and I take a sleeping pill at night... then in the morning I pop an endocet to wake up. I have seemingly made them my "salvation"... pretty pathetic... I know.

I haven't taken one in almost three days. This is probably one of the HARDEST things I have done; I have given birth to 2 children and this STILL seems harder than that!! I just keep repeating to myself that "everything is going to be okay no matter what", and try to keep telling myself that I must take every day ONE AT A TIME. Having people that I CAN talk to makes a whole world of difference to me... thank you all for that!
Old 10-25-2009, 10:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Welcome to SR,

-TB