Notices

Failure

Old 09-21-2009, 02:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Failure

Where to start.........
well im back again, I am sober at the moment, but have just come off a week long binge, I have drunk so much and feel so sick right now, the withdrawls are starting to kick in and i no there going to get worse. I dont no what to do where to start Im on anti deppresants, i feel so low and worthless, I cant see an end to this, please..... any advice?
Old 09-21-2009, 02:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kez

this is the first day for me,,, and withdrawals are kicking in as well and all I know is that I have to keep focused and keep ignoring them, thats all I am telling myself over and over and over till i make it through tonight and Im hoping tomorrow might be a bit easier.... just keep it up and keep talking to yourself and keep posting....... I am doing a uni assign, which is keeping me busy whilst reading and posting here it seems to be working so far.. so just try and keep focused,, keep reading what others have said throughout the night or day (whereever you are) until you are ready for bed...... dont lose focus....
Old 09-21-2009, 02:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Ha ha, this must be a popular day to sober up. I with both of y'all, still feeling the effects of withdrawal... and I know too well that it's not gonna be great for a few days now.

My own d- fault, though, so what can I say?

Advice? Yep, stay the course. It gets better after the shakes go away.

The trick is, after it gets better *don't drink again*. I keep forgetting that part.

-TB, who's got to be on top of things again tomorrow and can't sleep tonight....
Old 09-21-2009, 02:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Rockstar

Welcome to SR Fletch. Remember withdrawal is serious and if it gets bad call your doc to help you through it. Its no joke and I really am sending you some positive feelings because ive been there in the past and it ain't fun.
Its nice to see another Brit join up Keep hanging around here, you will get lots of support. Take care
Old 09-21-2009, 03:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, its good to have positive thoughts on my side. I cant belive Im having to do this again tho, i knew every single time I picked up that first drink that I would end up back here, detoxing, in pain and ashamed, but i keep doing it over and over again, why?
I have a drink sense meeting with a counselor on Thursday so just need to hang in there till then and stay focused.
all I want to do is go to the shop and get a bottle, that will make me feel better, I wont tho I cant keep doing this.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Fletch,

If you do figure that out, be sure and let us all know... I've stopped even wondering why I keep doing this (in 2 months of trying to quit, I think I'm on my fourth or fifth time--not even gonna mention how many bottles that took). It's taking all my energy to just keep going through the physical/ mental pain.

You ain't the only one, I guess is what I'm saying.

Don't go to the 'shop'... stay right here... it's cheaper, and I don't just mean in financial terms.

Last edited by thirtybubba; 09-21-2009 at 03:06 AM. Reason: can't grammar either
Old 09-21-2009, 03:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I would suggest a plan. That is often the first thing that is asked of newbies here...some wise members asked me the same question when I first came here: do you have a plan?

I didn't have a plan when I first quit. I just quit spontaneously and it didn't last.
So, I had to get a plan when I quit for the upteenth time.

I use a plan that I call fence posts. I try to have a recovery activity for every day: so my posts are all lined up. I see the fence posts keeping the fence together, and the fence is holding the alcohol away. An AA meeting, a therapist appointment, my yoga/meditation class/ my relapse prevention class. Calling my sponsor, calling someone else in AA. Reading my recovery literature. Working the AA steps. And visiting SR. SR is an important "post" in my fence. I need to have something every day.
Good luck and welcome to SR!
Old 09-21-2009, 03:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Rockstar

Yeah as TB says don't go to that shop. You're only prolonging the pain if you do. That way lies more trouble. Better to stick around here and shoot the breeze
Old 09-21-2009, 03:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

(2up--not that I disagree with Sikkisirus, I just typed this thinking of Littlefish's post)

Much as I hate to admit it. Partly because my memories of fence posts are not so great, and partly because I just haven't been doing every single thing I could to keep up being sober.

Not like I don't have access to the information, from a lot of good people who have been down this path and managed to get off... Who better to follow?

Addiction is good at letting us lie to ourselves, in all sorts of devious ways. Grr.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Kez

I sooooooooooooo no where you are at the mo, but dont do it, try and be strong and resist.........................
Old 09-21-2009, 03:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hope you get through the first days ok.
l wouldn't be able to do it without the help of my GP who would give me a gew benzo's to get past the first few days.

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning but anyone can start today and make a new ending." ~ Maria Robinson
Old 09-21-2009, 03:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Such great advice and kind words.
littlefish your plan idea sounds awesome I reckon that'll really help me, i better get cracking on it.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Rockstar

Lots of good advice here. I only wish id had the internet for support when I was going through craap but web access wasn't terribly common in the early 90's.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Have you thought about hanging out with sober alcoholics who have found a way to stay sober? It was what worked for me, my way of stopping drinking and staying stopped did not work, I finally found a group of recovering alcoholics and followed thier suggestions.

BTW detoxing can and does kill people, might be a really good idea to see a doctor.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Tazman, i have tried AA, and even tho it was great and I got alot out of it, it didnt feel like it was right for me, I think I'll go back tho, give it another go, after attending i was sober for 3 months which was amazing and felt so good.
A doctors appointment might be a good idea too, i have been told it can be very dangerous to detox, plus Im at home alone at the moment.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fletch2468 View Post
I cant belive Im having to do this again tho, i knew every single time I picked up that first drink that I would end up back here, detoxing, in pain and ashamed, but i keep doing it over and over again, why?
Why indeed. I asked myself this also for a time. Why would I, in light of the almost certain consequences, pick up that first drink again? I kept walking out into the street, getting hit by cars, and asking myself why I did that. It didn't make any sense. Why couldn't I just stay out of the damn street?

You say AA wasn't for you, but this is exactly the mental obsession that the Big Book talks about. Learning about that mental obsession with a sponsor willing to sit down and show me what it said in that book was the starting point of my recovery. I've since shown others the same thing and they too have recovered.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:50 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Fletch recovery for me I had to treat like I did my drinking, I spent as much time in my early sobriety going to AA meetings, readiing recovery material and the like as I did drinking.

I drank every day all day as long as I was not sleeping or at work I was drinking, on occasion I even would sneak a few at work on the weekends.

For the first 4 or 5 months I went to a minimum of a meeting a day, I also got a sponsor and took the steps, by the time I was 8 months sober I was a sponsor.

I only go to about 3 meetings a week now, but I sponsor other men now. I have friends, sober freinds both in and outside of AA, I love going to meetings now, talking to friends, sharing and gaining ES&H. Helping other alcoholics to stay sober.

I had to make a choice, recover or die.

Getting sober is not easy, staying sober is harder, stayinig sober and having the obsession to drink removed is even harder, but so worth it!
Old 09-21-2009, 09:13 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I would set up a appointment asap with your prescribing doctor for the anti-depressants and discuss what is going on with your alcoholism and detoxing. Your medications may need to be adjusted and it is important that the prescribing doctor be made aware of the situation. Detoxing generally should be medically managed and is not something we should be messing around with on our own especially if other medications are involved.
Stay strong!
Old 09-21-2009, 10:08 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Fletch,

I'm glad to see you back here.

Yeah, checking with the dr is always a good idea, or even an ER if you start feeling bad. And, keep reading and posting here. There is always inspiration to be found.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:48 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm right there with you. I started a nasty detox process yesterday/last night, thought I was going to die. I never never want to go through that again. It's a little better today thanks to some meds prescribed, but still not nice at all.

This time I am going to have a plan. I live in a rural area but there HAS to be a meeting somewhere soon within driving distance...

Hang in there. This CAN be the last time we ever have to go through this....Right?