Notices

New to SR, let me introduce myself.

Old 09-13-2009, 02:53 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the replies.

I know I am very early in my recovery, but in the month I've been sober, I've actually had alcohol twice. Both were experiments, to see how I'd feel. Once was at a neighbor's cookout, and I had a beer. One. And it was enough, did not feel any urge to drink any more than that.

The second time was last week on an international flight, there was complimentary beer/wine with dinner. I had a beer. One, and it was enough. I was alone, could have had more, for free. And I didn't... it wasn't a struggle, I didn't even want more than that.

That's two beers in one month, with no urge for more.

I'm going to baby-step this thing, and see how I do.

BTW, I have seen that some folks on this forum are sensitive about posts from those who choose to continue drinking, and I guess for now you could count me in that category. The difference is, I am choosing to drink responsibly and moderately, "normally". But please, if it is inappropriate for me to be posting about moderate drinking on a forum where so many are struggling to stay alcohol-free, please let me know and I will mosey on elsewhere.

Thanks and peace to all.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:58 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks Elegant... you posted before I finished my last post.

Yes, I have been completely honest with my wife and she has been awesome. She is a dietitian, and she is the one who recommended I start taking B-complex because I'm probably thiamine-deficient. She acknowledges her role in the house being a stressful place, and we are both working on improving conditions all the way 'round.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:14 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

"I have seen that some folks on this forum are sensitive about posts from those who choose to continue drinking, and I guess for now you could count me in that category. The difference is, I am choosing to drink responsibly and moderately, "normally". But please, if it is inappropriate for me to be posting about moderate drinking on a forum where so many are struggling to stay alcohol-free, please let me know and I will mosey on elsewhere."

umm..well i think if you can drink moderately and you want too...well go for it.
im not keen on the "normal" word....
i think drinking in itself is not normal...humans aint built for alcohol period.

That doesnt mean i think everyone should stop....sure if it gives you pleasure and its in moderation then hats off.
the human body is not built for strawberry cheesecake either....but i seem to return to it every time..lol.

there is some argument that you posting moderation sucess would hinder the newcomer real alcoholic in total abstinance.....he will latch onto your posts thinking theres hope in moderation....all the while inching closer to death.

that would be my only concern......but the opposite argument would be that most real alcoholics would have tried moderation plenty of times before coming to sr..

good luck to you.........and if that power slips out of your grasp again get back here.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:21 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I don't know the possible effects of posting about moderating successfully. If some folks aren't really ready to stop, they may be influenced by a moderation stance.

As for myself, when I came here I'd been trying to 'moderate' my drinking and just couldn't do it. The only solution, I had to find out, was complete abstinence. And it took me a while to figure that out too, relapsed too many times. I finally think I've "got it" now. I can only say that my worst day sober is way better than my best day drinking.

Welcome!
Old 09-13-2009, 03:40 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

i had a couple of half hearted attempts at it least.

i guess we all did...but really i knew it was nothing to do with moderation.

moderation is just an alien word to me....i mean why drink it if you cant get blitzed.

drove me crazy if i remember right.....

if im gonna drink ill have it all please and some........
Old 09-13-2009, 06:12 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

It's become clear to me from posts on SR that this forum is not the place to discuss returning to moderate drinking. Apologies for the intrusion, I'll seek elsewhere.

Best wishes for stability, happiness and health to all.

Mods, please close this thread if necessary.
Thanks all.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:42 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You know where we are if you need us - pleased to have met you, Anders.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:44 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

That's great. I like your post.

If you feel comfortable with moderate drinking, that's great! Drinking alcohol runs the gamut, and it has a very wide spectrum that all individuals fall along.

I'm just curious why you came here if you didn't believe there wasn't something you were concerned about. Most moderate drinkers don't even think about drinking as a problem if it wasn't an issue.

Coming to a Sobery Recovery forum to attest to the fact that you are comfortable with moderate drinking seems kind of silly.

Good luck to you either way.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:56 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry if you didn't feel welcome here...we have rules on tolerance and respect that I think perhaps some members need to read.

I wish you well Anders - like Hevyn says, the door is always open

D
Old 09-14-2009, 04:11 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Well i hope you didn't find my post judgemental or that i didn't welcome you.
I do however have my concerns with your attempt to drink with moderation.

believe me if you can do it with success...i admire your resolve and desire to return to controlled manageable drinking..

BUT...and its important...over the nine years Ive been sober..(a drop in the ocean compared to the years i was drinking)...i have never seen anyone return to sustained controlled drinking.

that said Ive seen hundreds try it...probably thousands...all returned in a worst condition...some never returned.
i include myself in this...endless vain attempts to drink like i once did.

i think that anyone than got into problems such as yours with alcohol would NOT want to return to it...ever.

if you stick around Sr for a few weeks ...check out the amount of people that return after being convinced they can try the old game again...normally starting with "remember me"..or similar.

i personally hope you stick around sr.....you DONT offend me ..

or put my recovery into jepardy....
Old 09-14-2009, 12:39 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Anders.... I have one question... if it is no big deal and you want to be 'normal' in your consumption.... why draw attention to it? Not trying to mean, but it is clearly something of concern to you. Only you know yourself and what alcohol does to you, given stress or anxiety.
You sound like I was two years ago before I decided (no, willed) that a fifth a night was the appropriate 'medication'. In deciding to get sober I also confessed to my wife, but it took a while as I knew as soon as I had mentioned it that would be the end to the 'social' drinks and if that is what you fear, perhaps you need some additional support from people that made the transition and 'feel' what you are feeling. Wives are wonderful for support, my bride has done a sterling job in helping, and I am sure yours will continue the great work but sometimes you have to connect with others (here in SR) who can give you 'done that' insight.
Excellent news on the sobriety and I wish you strength.