Notices

turning point

Old 09-14-2009, 09:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

turning point

I feel like I turned some kind of corner yesterday in my sobriety. I was alone, and overcome by this incredible craving to drink. I've gone out with friends and refused drinks in bars, etc, parties, because I knew that if I got drunk I would end up embarrassing myself, but this time the craving hit me when I was completely alone and no one would have been the wiser.
I drove to the store, parked the car, walked inside and looked around, and then was like "I can't do this" and walked out of the store and drove home. I ended up getting a lot of work done last night, and woke up feeling great this morning. That would not have been the case if I had drank! Feeling a craving like that is absolutely horrible & I feel really good & grateful that I was able to talk myself out of drinking. I have absolutely zero desire to drink today and feel stronger in about staying sober.

Thanks for listening!
Old 09-14-2009, 09:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That is awsome that you were able to leave the store. I have had it fhappen the other way to me before. I have actually gone in, gone out, gone in, gone out.... but eneded up buying a bottle. So this is great to hear!

One day at a time! Congrats!
Old 09-14-2009, 09:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Attended By a Single Hound

Thanks for giving me a smile . Great to hear. Reminds me that so often addiction is about the short term....happiness about the long term.

Pleasure to read ^_^ ta'
Old 09-14-2009, 10:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Meow

Good for you, Daisy!
Old 09-14-2009, 10:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good for you.....
Old 09-14-2009, 10:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Well done! Is it possible that you could call members of your support group the next time a craving or desire to drink comes upon you? Is it possible for you to call your sponsor(if you have one) or go to a meeting(if you attend) next time this happens? Is it possible for you to apply what you have learned in the 12 Steps(if you are working them) whenever this occurs?
Old 09-14-2009, 10:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's great!
Old 09-14-2009, 12:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

Red face

Hi Daisy,

Don't we all, those that have strung together a few days, hit that point

were we have the feeling that it just isn't working anymore. I was able to

make that turning point as well because I was a stage 2 alcoholic(DSM IV) and not a

daily drinker YET. It only gets worse. Your experience is inspirational

thanks.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

That's great, Daisy--especially that you got so much done/ felt so much better. Positive reinforcement...

Just sayin',

-TB
Old 09-14-2009, 12:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well done Daisy! That's awesome, I hope you can keep it up. Please call someone if it happens again--that's what they're there for, and I'm learning that it helps them too, so keep that in mind okay?!

I'm on my 5th day sober myself. Yesterday I was cooking and grabbed the red wine to add to the sauce, and, without thinking at all, I caught myself *automatically* raising the bottle towards my lips to have a sip-- an old habit since I learned to cook. I luckily stopped myself in time. Perhaps it's too early for me to even touch anything that contains alcohol!

Keep up the good work, and thanks for sharing!
Old 09-14-2009, 12:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

thanks for the support- I agree with all of your suggestions about having someone to call. I don't really have many folks right now to reach out to- I used to do aa a long time ago but quit because of ideological differences with the program, but maybe finding some sober support there is a good idea. anyways, I am still amazed & grateful today that I was able to leave the store empty handed!!! work is slammin today and would have really sucked hung over!
Old 09-14-2009, 01:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well done Daisy!

D
Old 09-14-2009, 01:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR, Universes Child

Glad to have you aboard as well - congrats on yr 5 days...and congrats on catching yourself...I think you may be on to something tho when you say 'perhaps it's too early for me to even touch anything that contains alcohol'...the power of this addiction just can't be underestimated IMO

D