Notices

September 11th

Old 09-11-2009, 07:21 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My sister in NYC didn't go to work that day. She watched the towers fall from her apt window. She couldn't figure out why people were throwing things out the upper windows of the towers... many days later she realized it was not 'things' being thrown out of the towers, it was people jumping out the windows. It took her weeks to be able to talk about it.

My daughter (ck) was in sixth grade at the time. She had to write an essay about it for class. She wrote that she asked me if a plane would fly into our house. I could only tell her honestly that I hoped it would not happen. I spent the rest of the day cleaning my closet and listening to Beethoven's Ninth Symphony at top volume. I was just recovering from out patient surgery and couldn't do much so I cleaned my closet and listened to loud classical music. I couldn't think, I didn't want to feel, I was worried about everything. I was so afraid.

My daughter in Mnpolis couldn't get used to the silence of no planes flying over the house for a few days. She said the silence was deafening. Even to this day a low flying plane makes me nervous and afraid. And I am so afraid of the two wars started over this. Killing people to stop violence doesn't make sense to me. Christ said to turn the other cheek and not return evil for evil. But we don't seem to be doing that, and that worries me...

I sincerely hope that peace will prevail... but it won't be in my lifetime... human beings are too stupid to realize what is 'right' so they keep on doing wrong. When will we learn??? How many have to die before we learn how to live together in peace?
Old 09-11-2009, 07:35 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
grateful to be here

on that day i was at home watching a talk show and when the show was interrupted i thought that the tv had somehow changed channels and this was a movie. i watched it two or three times before my mind registered what was/had actually happened. living alone, that nite laying in my bed i heard an airplane and was terrified because i had heard on the news that there weren't supposed to be any airplanes flying.
and the days afterwards i watched the horror of 9/11 over and over again in so many different ways, from so many different people. i was so proud of my fellow Americans, the ones who had fallen and the ones who were there to stand up for my country -- the firemen, police, military and esp the plain old people who just went and did.
i prayed today for all of the people who have heartache about that day (esp the ones lost and their loved ones). to me that includes not only people in the US but from all over the world. there were a lot of people in different countries that mourned with us that day.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:07 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

This day will forever be etched in my heart. I never, ever will forget the horror as I watched it unfolding on TV, praying it just wasn't true. Today 8 years later, my eyes still cry and my heart cries for those whose lives were cut short because of the evil that exists. They ****ed with the wrong people that day.
The terrorist failed that day, they like the Japenese at Pearl had awakened a sleeping giant! A giant that is not be messed with!
I so agree with you Taz.

I have never been more proud to be an American and so proud of the people who didn't run away but ran to help their fellow Americans. Those who died that day and those who sacrificed their lives to save others, they are all heroes.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:55 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
getting there

Thanks for the great shares, everyone. Watching some of the coverage today, I found myself instantly taken back to that day - to the disbelief, the sadness, and the total fear of what might happen next.

One thing I really noticed this year (probably because of Facebook and Twitter), is the number of young people who are discovering the story for the first time. I can hardly believe it's been long enough for children to have grown up since then.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:27 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
To Life!

There's a poll on facebook, asking if 9-11 should become a national holiday.
The majority of the respondents voted yes by far.
I voted no. And here's why.

I think 9-11 should become a Day of Remembrance.
It should be a solomn day to recall what happened to America, and the Heros who responded when our need was greatest. That way, we can assure that our country will always remember and never forget.

But, to make 9-11 a holiday would turn it into a day of pary, BBQ's and revelry. That would become a national disgrace to the memory of what happened on that fateful day, 8 years ago.

Those who perished at the hands of cowards; the heros who resonded; all who experienced the terror; and future generations who have yet to learn deserve better. History demands the truth.

I pray that 9-11 never becomes a holiday.
I sincerely hope it will become a solomn day of remembrance.

Shalom!
Old 09-12-2009, 05:42 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

I don't believe it should be a national holiday either, and shame on whoever votes for that one. It is like history teach said, a Day of Rememberance, a day to reflect the horror of what happened.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:46 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Ditto historyteach. I love your take on this. Rememberance and solemnety. Thanks.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:21 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
grateful to be here

i agree with teach too. glad you shared your thoughts....i might not have thought of it in that way and don't want it to be a day of party or celebration either. i do think we should celebrate that it was a day that we found the strength to go on even though our hearts were torn out. i hope that we should always remember 9/11 and it should be taught to every single child by parents and schools. i know i will never forget it and not only on sept 11th each year. it comes into my mind more often than that.
we should be more focused on peace and living amongst each other as equals