Notices

Is there something to the 3rd week?

Old 08-20-2009, 07:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I usually go 3 weeks sober, then get very anxious and agitated, then I'll find myself having a few drinks. I'll then remember why I don't want to drink and start the cycle over again.
So, I was wondering if there's some kind of 3rd week slump that's hard to get through. Or maybe it's a hormone thing.
Thanks you!
Old 08-20-2009, 08:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It seems that we seem to go through the "icky 3's" (3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months) when we're quitting alcohol, smoking, etc.
I experienced a real 'funk' in my 3rd month of sobriety. What we need to know is that these are only phases, and will pass.
Both the body & the brain are going through quite a lot.... we need to be patient & kind to ourselves and give the healing process to do what it needs to do in its own time. We abused ourselves for years & years.... it really is a miracle how the body can heal so quickly... we should be over-joyed & grateful that the body doesn't work on a 1:1 time ratio. LOL
Old 08-20-2009, 08:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

So what are you doing during those 3 weeks of sobriety besides not drinking?

Have you thought about maybe changing what you are doing during those 3 weeks sober.

It is a pretty well known accepted thing around here that if one keeps doing the same thing over and over again, they always wind up with the same results.

The best way to get different results is by trying something different.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
So what are you doing during those 3 weeks of sobriety besides not drinking?

Have you thought about maybe changing what you are doing during those 3 weeks sober.

It is a pretty well known accepted thing around here that if one keeps doing the same thing over and over again, they always wind up with the same results.

The best way to get different results is by trying something different.

I agree 100%.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

For me week 3 was dangerous because my mind told me I was physically in good enough shape for another binge. The painful memories of my last binge also started to vanish in my 3rd week.

I actually found that it got harder for me to stay sober each day after that point. That is why I had to find a spiritual solution. Nothing less than having the obsession lifted would have worked for me.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes, the third week was kinda rough for me.

On one hand, I felt well enough physically - thinking that I could have a drink and that the last hangover and subsequent fallout wasn't as really as bad as I had portrayed it.

On the other, I felt some minor PAWS symptoms too - thought I was going crazy and wouldn't be able to live without alcohol - started thinking maybe I really screwed myself up psychologically and was never going to feel right without drinking, among some other stuff like anxiety, slight depression, etc. But just at a month those feelings have gotten much better.

good luck, try and ride it out, because improvements do come.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I often got stuck at the third week. I think it was a kind of a turning point and I really had to look inward and believe that I deserved a good life. I think I sabotaged myself numerous times because I was afraid of succeeding.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Me too! The third week always gets me. I actually mentioned that in another post.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

thanks for the replies.
My journey towards sobriety has not been cold turkey. First, I gave up wine, then I was drinking beer, then I would not drink for 3 weeks and then maybe I'd drink during the weekend, then maybe only one night. Now I feel much stronger about not wanting to drink at all.
What has changed this month is that I've realized that I'm "codependent."
So, usually my drinking had a lot to do with going with the "flow" of the people around me.
I don't want to do that anymore.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Change can be scary at first--but change...making positive changes...was absolutely necessary in my recovery. I have 24 days today and I have been putting forth some much needed effort to hang onto my sobriety...this time. I don't have to act on my impulses today. I have a choice--to call someone or to come here and share, or even go to a meeting even when I really don't feel like it. I have been really tired lately but make myself go....cause I have found it is usually during those times when I hear something life changing in the rooms. We all help one another. I must play an active part in my own recovery, not only to receive what I need but also to give/share with others my experience.....even when I don't think I have anything to offer. There is usually one person at least who needed to hear what I had to say. Keep moving forward. We do recover.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

No matter whether you do AA or some other programme or not, I think it takes more than just not drinking - it's a good thing you've determined you're codependent - I hope acting on that will help you as it did me.

I let other people affect me too BB.

I eventually learned I simply can't change them...ever...but I could change me - I resolved to do what was best for me, and stay sober, no matter what

D
Old 08-20-2009, 02:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Heathen

Only if you think there is.

Remember, abstinence has very little to do with recovery.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Never made it past a month before. Now on day 23 this time. I think you may be on to something. I think its when one starts feeling better physically and denial and rationalization start showing their ugly heads. For me its thoughts like, "I'm really not as f-ed up as those other people", "I can handle it this time... I've learned so much" etc. I general I thinks its my bs mindset that kicks back in after a brief period of honesty with myself. I am so used to rationalizing, lying to myself and others to perpetuate my bad habit that it is my usual (de facto) MO. Going to AA and using this board as a resource will hopefully help me get over the hump. Best of luck to you... I can sooooo relate. Look at the recidivism rates for periods of sobriety and the longer you go the more likely you will go longer. I can relate firsthand to the actual struggle with one's perception/ mindset. The AA god (note small g) can be anything one chooses. For me its something along the lines of my own ability to figure out when I'm full of it. One has the Power to Make AA as secular or as Bible beatin' as one chooses. Best I can figure out is pick what works for YOU and leave the rest. Best of luck rockin' it out for more than a month.