Notices

day one all over again?

Old 08-19-2009, 09:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day one all over again?

So I guess I am an old newcommer. I posted on this last year thinking I had gotten over my addictions, but I was wrong. I have been getting drunk and high everyday for a long time now.. so much that I completly forgot about being on this forum. When I went to go make a username it said this e mail is already in use lol. I do know I need to stop the drinking or im going to die. I am still a young man 23 years old and want to live my life, free of drugs and alcohol! Its not going to be easy and it didn't take much for me to fall back into the lifestyle.. this is day one all over again for me now I havent had a drink or smoked any weed today.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome back. Do you plan on attending AA or finding some type of support group? Having a bit of guidance will help tremendously. Glad you're not drinking/using today. Keep us posted.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome back! Glad you are here. You are not alone.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back Mike
What are your plans to do it differently this time?

D
Old 08-20-2009, 01:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
welcome back Mike
What are your plans to do it differently this time?

D

I think im just gonna have to drop the few friends that I have. All we have in common anyway is that we are all pot heads and alcoholics. Let me ask you guys something... do you think it is ok for me to continue to smoke pot and just drop drinking? I can't control my addictions over either one, and pretty much all my money goes to buying pot and beer.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by mikeyboy22 View Post
I think im just gonna have to drop the few friends that I have. All we have in common anyway is that we are all pot heads and alcoholics. Let me ask you guys something... do you think it is ok for me to continue to smoke pot and just drop drinking? I can't control my addictions over either one, and pretty much all my money goes to buying pot and beer.
Mike, honestly... what do YOU think about that idea?
Old 08-20-2009, 01:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Mike, clean and sober means clean and sober to me, not one or the other. I can't pick and choose, it's everything or nothing. I was never a big pot smoker, but I was a tobacco user. When I gave that up my drinking increased drastically, so I guess I traded one for the other, it just didn't work for me unless I abstained 100%.

You only need to have one "Day 1". Stop now and this is the first day of a clean and sober life, we'll be here to support you.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I could never continue to smoke pot for a few reasons Mike - it makes me high, which lowers my inhibitions, and impairs my judgement...I also tended to drink when I smoked...and I'd smoke pot with the same people I drank with...put those all together and I'd be back drinking within a week.

To stay quit, I had to change my life, Mike. Getting drunk got you nowhere - what do you think getting high might do?

IMO, by smoking pot, you're still 'out of it' - still addicted to something - the only difference would be you're just 'not drinking'...and I doubt you'd be not drinking for long.

D
Old 08-20-2009, 01:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

For me--I think doing just one of the two would eventually lead me back to doing both. That's what my experience shows. You must make the choice, but from what it sounds like--you are powerless over marijuana too...from what I have read. Our disease likes to rationalize/justify a way for us to keep using in some way. Addiction is a cunning disease. I wasn't able to just do one or the other--they went hand in hand--plus the crowd I was hanging around....also soon introduced me to heavier stuff. I had to walk away from it all--all the drugs--and yes, alcohol is a drug too.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Heathen

For me, it would make absolutely no sense to continue getting high off one and quitting another.

Your job is to figure out what's best for you.

I'm clean and sober, and I take it seriously.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

i was at the end of the road and experienced the pain of denial & refusal
long enough to know that i will never make a decision to go back to that.

If your different and can enjoy using, if you see no need to change what you are doing, if you are just trying to find a way to successfully use, good luck. i hope that God spares you the indignity of complete desolation and despair.

If you want to find a new way to live, if you want to enjoy emotional stability, and if you want to become
a responsible & productive person in your own life; then start asking for help from those who have that.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hwy Mikey, look at it as oppertunity rather than something to endure. If u make the good and right decision your boredom will be soon replaced with clarity and strength. U will end up making the most of life and at a very good age to realize that too! gud luck