Notices

My first 2 days so far

Old 08-19-2009, 06:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My first 2 days so far

Hi everyone!

Well, yesterday was day 1 and what a roller coaster from feeling the lowest I have ever felt, to feeling empowered that I've been given new life and a responsibility to myself and my family to change myself for the better. yesterday I didn't feel sick until about 4pm (ish). At about that time I was starting to feel weak and tired and wanting to lay down. I did get sick to my stomach a bit for a couple hours but that passed. I slept well and before resting my husband and I talked more about my plans for a successful recovery and his plans to support me and get some help for himself after all he's been through over the past few years with this.

Today, I feel much better except for my nerves and emotions and have been off and on sick to my stomach from the nerves. Wednesdays are typically my day off from work and today seems very odd indeed. I was scheduling my day around my miller lite. Today I am spending some time to work on retraining my brain and actions around not having the beer. A typical wednesday was me cleaning the house, working on some projects, fussing on the computer, all with a beer in hand. About an hour ago I started to clean up the kitchen (I let it go yesterday...not pretty people!) without a beer. The dishwasher is currently running and shortly I am going to vacuum without a beer in hand and see how that feels for the first time in a few years.

So, I feel empowered today...nervous and scared at the same time of course but I'm taking it one day at a time and am grateful to have not only this fabulous opportunity to change my life but I have been blessed with great clarity of mind to know what steps I need to take here on day 2 to make today a success story!

Thanks for listening...just wanted to share my experiences so far.

Have A Magical Day!
Old 08-19-2009, 07:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome and way to go. The first daze are a real kicker, I pray I'm never there again. It's great that you and your husband are creating a recovery plan, there are plenty of resources on which to draw and I know you'll get lots of good support and advice here. You're bound to have better days and worse days for a time, just embrace the good days and see the bad ones through without picking up, they will pass. All my best to you on the most important journey of your life.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

were you a heavy daily drinker as you seem in total control with no problems at all.

Anyways Good luck

Robbo
Old 08-19-2009, 07:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello Phillygirl:

Sounds just like me. I am only on day 10 myself and still occassionally blah, but it gets better as each day passees. Keep strong. I used to clean house, work in the yard, take a shower....all with that big plastic cup full of wine in my hand. I have learned to keep my hands busy with other things; reading, crocheting, scrapbooking. I also joined counseling which I am looking forward to starting next week. Keep up the good work and concentrate on one day at a time, and no matter what urges you to stop at the store on the way home from work to buy that Miller, just keep driving and head for the chocolate instead!
Old 08-19-2009, 07:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you are doing well. Quiting was not the hard part. Learning to live life without alcohol, now that was a different story. It is possible for anyone that wants it bad enough. I hope you continue to have this positive outlook, and a great day.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thanks for saying that. I feel like I HAVE to have control right now to keep on this path. Before quitting yesterday I had been doing alot of research regarding the law of attraction and actually it is helping me through this. "you are what you think about". And I've always been a person who thinks too much and is basically self aware. But at any rate, some of the lessons with the law of attraction revolve around retraining the brain to attract what you want into life whether its money, health, spirituality, etc.

I also stumbled upon this great website mindmovies.com and bought the creation kit last week and its already helped to keep me even more positive. Yesterday I added some components to my mind movie that visually reinforce not buying or consuming beer. Part of the mind movie package came with this subliminal package that has my mind movie running in the background of my pc all day imprinting in my mind positive affirmations and most importantly not drinking.

I will say that my husband called my mom and my brothers yesterday to tell them what was going on and I just spoke with my mom and one of my brothers. After speaking to my mom I got all emotional again. My mom, is really a great and thoughtful person but sometimes has a way of saying things that for lack of better words could be construde as a back handed compliment. And she made me feel like I took 2 steps back.

After talking with her I talked to my husband and he made me feel better and I was then able to sit back and get back to MY thoughts and MY feelings and how I am handing things and how I felt before I spoke to her and let these outside voices control me.

As for heavy drinker, I would drink anywhere from 12 - 18 miller lites a day (depending on if it was a work day or not). Since today is Wednesday and I'm off work I would be closer to the 18 range.

Sorry to ramble on but I wanted to share where my energy is coming from a little bit and what I had just experienced with my mom on the phone. Here's to taking it one moment at a time! (with diet coke in hand!!!)

Have A Magical Day!