Notices

Wanted to Say HI

Old 08-11-2009, 11:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wanted to Say HI

Hi there,

I'm new to the site..I'm 32 years old and have had problems with alcohol for probably the last 8 or so. Friday night, Saturday and Sunday I went on a binge on beer where I'd drink until I was out of it, get up out of bed when I awoke (usually very suddenly too) and hit the fridge for some more. Or if I was out of beer, I'd throw some clothes on and head for the store. This isn't the first weekend that this has happened. A couple of weeks ago, I did it Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I felt like crap Monday and Tuesday.

I've wasted a significant amount of my summer (and it has been beautiful here in Michigan) lying around all day, nursing a hangover on my days off. I guess I want to really start living life and that alcohol will no longer be an option. I'm usually fine when I go out to bars but when I leave the bar I just want to down 4 or 5 more at home before I go to bed.

I went to an AA 12 in 12 meeting yesterday and at noon today. I need to stay on track here. I hate the fact that a couple of days after a big drinking session I tend to forget how bad it was (maybe I need to journal) and decide that my drinking was no big deal.

Any words of advice would be appreciated. I have no trouble with the law "yet", no chronic health problems "yet" and haven't gotten into family problems "yet". Those things will happen though eventually.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to our recovery community. I'm glad you are going to AA - so do I. If you are serious about getting sober, I suggest you get a home group if you haven't already, and start attending regularly. Show up early and help set up and get to know other members. Get a sponsor and start connecting with them regularly. Read the Big Book and begin working the Steps with your sponsor.

There is a lot of great reading here, and lots of support and inspiration. Members here frequently cheer one another on, and the community here has become a big part of my recovery.

I hope you continue to read and post. You are no longer alone.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome mcmurphy, from a fellow newbie.

I am still struggling myself, but your description of your binge drinking really hit home for me. I would binge drink all weekend, feel absolutely hideous Monday and Tuesday, then by Wednesday start feeling better and drink again.

I also get home from the bar totally wasted, and continue to drink.

I know in my case the binge drinking progressed to daily drinking (no more 'yet' for that one), and this is where I am now. I too still have a few 'yets' left, but not nearly as many as I had before...

Hang in there. We have an August sobriety group for daily support if you'd like to drop in and say HI. Hopefully with the support of other members here we can stop and stay stopped.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
mcmurphy & sphalerite, welcome to the both of you!
Old 08-11-2009, 12:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Welcome folks.

I remember when drinking stopped being fun.

And I hope I never forget.

Alcohol no longer has any place in my life, I'm too busy doing other things now.

And the 12 steps are amazing.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.

I can relate to your binge-drinking. I was very similar. What I will say is that once you start drinking upon waking then there ain't no going back. I tried it many times and each time ended up drinking the next morning every-time.

I finally admitted to myself that I am powerless over alcohol after I take that first drink and that I am an alcoholic.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Welcome to the Sober Recovery community.

The only suggestion i would like to offer at this
time is to keep going to A.A. or N.A. meetings.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

welcome mcmurphy...Rowan said it all for me. AA home group, sponsor and regular contact. It works for me also. There is a life after the bottle. Keep posting, we help each other.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
grateful to be here

mcmurphy and spalerite....

glad to have you here - you will find the most wonderful supportive ppl in the world here -- i know because i did. please please don't drink and drive...i'm presently going thru dui he**. my court date is sept 1 and the first week (got it on aug 2) i was so completely miserable (i wouldn't wish it on anyone) and i'm still terribly depressed about the whole matter. thankfully i have a supportive mom, best friend and all the great SR peoples. i don't know what i would have done with this site.
anyhow..... sorry i ramble. journalling is a good thing to do. it lets you look back and see in your own words how you felt after things happen...good and bad. AA works miracles for some people. any questions you have about AA, there are lots of ppl here who have worked it and worked it well. read posts and write your own posts--the first few days i was on here practically all day. i still come everyday - you never know when someone else will post something that makes you feel better or lets that lightbulb go on in your head. helpful, smart people here who have been where you are. also search back thru older posts and use the search function to find specific topics. there is a chat room and there are meetings in chat which are usually AA based -- you will be welcomed, don't worry. This really is a great place. Place your foot firmly on the steps of sobriety and make a decision (for yourself) to do whatever it takes no matter what it is to not drink. And if you would happen to fall....well you aren't just going to lay there are ya??? You get back up immediately.
just start....... bo
Old 08-11-2009, 03:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome mcmurphy and hi again sphalerite

D
Old 08-13-2009, 10:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone. It is good to feel that I'm not alone in this. The first week probably can be the easiest and the hardest all in one. The easiest because the will to stay sober is still strong and the hardest because of the withdrawal symptoms.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I know what you mean about wasting a significant amount of time hungover. It adds up if you calculate it. All that time spent that could have been spent countless other ways. And that's just time spent hungover, let alone time spent being drunk.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR...

Keep posting, and I am happy you found us!!!
Old 08-14-2009, 01:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome to SR!
Old 08-14-2009, 06:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to see you are planning for a healthy sober future!
Welcome to our recovery community