Notices

10 days drink free

Old 07-31-2009, 01:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

10 days drink free

Hi Peeps

Yesterday I went to my local drug and alcohol support centre, its part of what is known as the Matthew project, where I go is called the junction. It's nothing like AA, I was told that they do one on one because not everybody has the courage to do group stuff. Anyway it works for me. They ask all sorts of questions about your drinking, your mental health, any detoxing symptoms. I answered no to most of the questions. While I was there I kept getting grumbling headaches, I thought it was to do with the thunderstorm going on outside but the lady I was with said it was probably to do with the come down from drink.

They also do acupuncture, they put 5 needles in certain points in each ear, It's all to do with temptation and alcohol in your ears, he told me. I was always under the impression that it didn't hurt when they put the needles in. Hah! then I find out it hurts because the temptation is still there and my Yin and Yang is wonky, so as far as I am concerned I will continue with this and hopefully it will be fine. the chap who does it asked me what my particular poison is so I said tea and occasionally a cup of coffee, it's the truth I haven't had any alcohol for 10 days so what else do I say? I spent 40 minutes chillin in a room listening to a relaxation cd.

The only problem I have now is getting to sleep, I drank in the evening to help me go to sleep. If I have something that is bugging me I can guarantee that shutting my eyes will not get me to sleep. It annoys the tootsies off me.

I am still chuffed that I am achieving my goal.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

I spent 40 minutes chillin in a room listening to a relaxation cd.
That sounds great!! And 10 days free from drink is even better. Keep up the good work.
Try a nice long bath with some lavender in before bed ,...works for me if I am restless, although I dont have much trouble sleeping these days .....thanks to sobriety and my own programme of recovery.
Hope you keep posting.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

hey ,gree tripple b,10 days gotta mean somethin',hey?
..welcome to S.R..Oz..
Old 07-31-2009, 02:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Congrats on the 10 days sober.

If I have something that is bugging me I can guarantee that shutting my eyes will not get me to sleep. It annoys the tootsies off me.
I do not think sticking needles in you will take care of things bugging you, I could be wrong though and it sure would not be the first time! LOL

In regards to sleep over all, a lot of us suffer from insomnia for months after that last drink, I was one of the lucky ones in regards to that.

Now in regards to things bugging you, well for me taking and applying the steps helped a great deal with that, therapy can help as well. I know for me and many others we spent a lot of time drinking away problems and not dealing with them, do that long enough and we actually need to learn how to deal with life on a daily basis sober.

I have found that going to meetings and listening to people with time sober share how they have learned and continue to learn how to live life sober helps me a great deal, that combined with the steps and a willingness to ask for help and suggestions in handling problems to be a great benefit.

My life today is so much simpler, sane, & peaceful because I have principles to live by and I continue to learn how to deal with different situations that life throws out there.

My life is not problem free being sober, but I have far fewer probelms and I deal with them in a manner that they no longer consume and overwhelm me, because even if I do not know how to deal with them I have a ton of people I can call on to help me deal with them.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

hi bobobee... well done on ten days!

i had the wierd 10 needles in ears the other day... i had an itchy ear and knocked oneof them out heee oopsies.........completely bemused as to anything i felt from it... so considered perhaps finding out how i was supposed to feel then saying that then next time... hope it was more useful for you!

stay well
Old 07-31-2009, 03:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey gree Peep!!

That's awesome that you've found something to help you too. Congrats on the ten days. Keep coming back!!
Old 07-31-2009, 03:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
jimbo

i think most people on SR that have given up the demon drink suffer from lack of sleep or getting to sleep

i did too terrible trouble

it soon wears off after a few weeks

and you do start to feel healthy after about four

then about 6 weeks you start to feel great

honest its all good

it costs you nothing

so what have you got to lose? hangovers ,liver failure?ill health ??

its a win win situ if you ask me ... well done and welcome to your new life
Old 07-31-2009, 04:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The needles won't help with my over active bed time brain, I know this. It will hopefully help my system heal. If it block off the temptation then that's fine with me. Also as far as I am concerned even if it is only Psychological if it helps I ain't knockin' it.

I have been given a copy of a relaxation cd which I will listen to with a cup of hot chocolate and a book before I go to sleep, then if I start thinking too much I will listen to my cd again.

Thanx for all the Positive vibes
Old 07-31-2009, 05:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Before I became a raging drunk, I had two wonderful kids. As you may or may not know, babies are a major sleep disturber.

When I was having a lot of problems sleeping due to babies up all night, someone gave me some interesting advice. It worked for me. It may not work for everyone, but, for what it's worth.

If you suffer from sleep deprivation and feel an intense urge to sleep during the day, but can't take a nap, find a pencil and hold it in your hand.
Drift off to sleep just as long as it takes for you to drop the pencil. Those few moments of sleep provides your brain with rest and after that you can continue with your day.

I know, crazy advice, but when you have a baby and a toddler to take care of, naps are out of the question and I found the pencil method useful. I did actually feel rested after just those few moments of REM, or whatever it's called.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Resident

Congratulations on 10 days as I think the first couple of weeks are the toughest. At least they were for me.
Your bedtime ritual sounds interesting but you may want to substitute a sleepy time tea for the hot chocolate. Chocolate contains a lot of caffeine and this may be affecting your sleep.
Good luck and keep at it.
Normal sleeping will return. I had the non sleep times when I first quit too.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

hey greeb

congrats on yr ten days - I hope the acupuncture does you good

as for the sleep thing - yeah its a common problem - lots of good advice here tho - we also have an insomnia forum here.

keep it up!
D
Old 08-01-2009, 01:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well you learn something new everyday!

I never knew hot chocolate had caffeine in it.

I must have had vibes from you fubarcdn cos yesterday I got some tea that is an aid to sleeping, organic too.

I had a cup of tea a relaxation cd and a book, they all combined to shut my brain down.

I slept like a log until about 4 (I lost my earplugs and the cat woke me up) then shuffled about for about 30 mins then zonked again.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

hi Norwich

dam mate,theres 2 AA meets here per day-where u lookin??

also,ive been treated and worked with the alc dependance team on victoria street,mathew project more geared specifically to substance stuff.

anyway,see this thread is a bit old,so hope yr still around

peace