Notices

Anyone stay on SR with a drink in hand?

Old 07-23-2009, 02:17 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I used to drink and read and post and cry. It has helped me coming here and even tho I don't like myself drinking while coming here, just being here has helped to 'set me straight'.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:19 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
it's a movie, you're the star

socallmetim, you took the words out of my mouth
Old 07-23-2009, 03:01 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've always thought that SR was a place for those still struggling more than anything or anyone else, effortjoy.

There are plenty of places on the net where sober recovered people can hang out and slap themselves on the back - I'd have no interest in SR if it was like that.

I want to help people struggling. I want them to help find what I have - a life free from the bondage of addiction.

If you want that, effortjoy, or even think you might want that, you're in the right place.

This *is* the place I'd want to be if I was drinking again cos I think, here, I'd have the best chance of stopping again.

The love support and encouragement here is second to none - believe me, I've looked.

This IS a sober place - people struggling don't make it any less so - and it IS, in my opinion, a very safe place to be.

Those who don't find it so, have the freedom to vote with their feet.

D
Old 07-23-2009, 03:11 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Heathen

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I've always thought that SR was a place for those still struggling more than anything or anyone else, effortjoy.

There are plenty of places on the net where sober recovered people can hang out and slap themselves on the back - I'd have no interest in SR if it was like that.

I want to help people struggling. I want them to help find what I have - a life free from the bondage of addiction.

If you want that, effortjoy, or even think you might want that, you're in the right place.

This *is* the place I'd want to be if I was drinking again cos I think, here, I'd have the best chance of stopping again.

The love support and encouragement here is second to none - believe me, I've looked.

This IS a sober place - people struggling don't make it any less so - and it IS, in my opinion, a very safe place to be.

D
Or just accept that it isn't..

Point taken tho,thanks.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:17 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I feel like I should quote a line from the AA Preamble here..................

"The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking........"

See there? I couldn't help myself.

My dork-dom is quite alive....
Old 07-23-2009, 03:19 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I was still drinking when I joined SR and I was half cut when I went to my first AA meeting, would not have had the courage to do either sober.
It was only through the advice, care and more importantly compassion from you guys at SR and the fellowship at AA that I have been able to stop drinking.
So yeah if you still drinking and struggling to get sober, this is the place to be.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:34 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I did it for a week or 2.. I feel kinda bad about it too actually, but I'm not sure why.

I guess it depends on your intention. A lot of people reading and posting here aren't sober.. that's kinda the type of people this site attracts by nature

Now, if you're going to be getting drunk, and posting.. please be careful as there are people here that ARE committed to sobriety and it might be hard for some of them (us) to read, but that happens a lot too.

Please be thoughtful, that's all.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:41 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had already been sober for a couple of years before I found SR.

Effortjoy, I hope that YOU find what you are looking for.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:07 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
mergirl

I hope I never drink and post here. I'm going to do what ever it takes not to.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:15 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
grateful to be here

knowledge is power. please keep reading (sober or not) and keep coming around. maybe sometime you will find your day 1 --if you do, please post. you will get support from ppl who have been there and will walk beside you during your journey if you decide to take it.
i don't care if you are here drinking, as long as you respect the others here and who they are and what they are trying to accomplish. i'm here to be honest and to try to do the best for myself. i hope you are too
best wishes to you ~zen
Old 07-23-2009, 07:02 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

If you want to drink, go ahead. It makes no difference to me. If you want to stop drinking, let me know. Maybe I can help
Old 07-23-2009, 07:04 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

D

Very well said Dee...As usual.
I know for a fact that the Admin and Mods and everyone here do a very good job at making sure this is a very safe and comfortable place for EVERYONE! Thank you all of you.

I myself have only come here high one time. I was struggling and darted out the door in the middle of a conversation with someone. When I got back it was still up on the screen. So I went PM with a very good friend here. I was smoking my rocks but at the same time listening and trying to respond back to this wonderful person. She knows who she is. Brother. I will never forget that night. She knew what I did and I felt so bad for going and even more so for disrespecting this sactuary I had found for myself. But this is where I needed to be at that time. I didnt go for more for once. And yes...Being high and looking at all this stuff...People struggling, recovering, understanding and caring. It kept me home and not running for just one more. That friend had alot of wonderful caring things to say to me that night. And even with my short attention span like it gets with most people when they are amped up on cocaine. I was paying attention. And it sunk in deeper than if I were sober.

I am pretty sure EJ isnt asking for validation to drink or not. I think they are asking if it against any rules here or if it offends anyone if they are drinking while here.

And to me that type of honesty and yes respect for others is good.
I do agree that posting too much may not be a good idea. But like you asked..You want to read.
Well I for one think you should read all you want. I dont care what your doing. If you feel you need to be here..Then please do so.
This is a place for people struggling and looking for recovery. Wouldnt be much point to this place if everyone was clean and sober and all rainbows and lollipops. Now would it?
Read around and soak it in. Use it to your benefit. See how you feel reading all these stories and shares as you drink. How does that make you feel?
I do think sometimes things hit harder when you are in your misery.
I hope you stick around. And anytime you feel the need to be here. You do it.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:19 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sfgirl View Post
I wasn't on this board at the time but I spent a long time worrying seriously about my drinking while still drinking at times heavily at others in a more "controlled" way. I think it is extremely common. In fact I think it is virtually impossible to not concurrently believe you have a problem with alcohol and explore that possibility while still drinking. It isn't like all abstainers wake up one morning after having a lovely drinking career and poof! epiphany! done with alcohol. There is a middle stage of contemplation.

I for one think it is perfectly fine, good, in fact, that you have the courage to examine your habits and perhaps your disease. People on here have a wealth of knowledge about sobriety and abstinence and how much alcohol can ruin your life. These are the sorts of things you need to know to tip your motivation from wavering to solid. I would assume that while not an official requirement, like AA, if you are on SR all you need is a desire to stop drinking. And even if that inkling is very small and not yet put into action, I urge you to stick around.
I totally agree. I've heard of people who go to AA meetings drunk or leave the meeting then get drunk. They know they have a problem, they are going to a meeting because they are seeking help, it's just a matter of if or when it will "take" and what path they will choose to follow.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:27 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I think so. I joined when I was sober and then fell off the wagon with a bit of smash but I still read the posts. It makes me feel really good hearing how well other people are doing, I'm cheering them on from the sidelines and sharing in there tears.

Wish I had that same sense of belief in myself but hey ho.

But yeah you do have to supress the urge to send a post when pissed.

I've been dry for 10 day's now, but the trouble is I still talk bollox when I'm sober.

Hope you decide to get yourself dry fella. Either way enjoy your beer and have a good read.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:29 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Very well put Dee

Old 07-23-2009, 07:30 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to see you back posting Cpt. Spaulding

D
Old 07-23-2009, 07:38 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by effortjoy View Post
Is it okay to drink and read posts?
Yea...if that helps you decide if drinking is something you would like to quit...then its good by me. Other than that I'm not going to read into what I don't see you asking.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:57 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Classical View Post
Of course, it is. I'm drinking a big glass of buttermilk right now!!

Classical

Blech! Buttermilk is awful! My father in law loves it though...

As far as drinking and posting; you can do whatever you want as far as that's concerned. It's a free country. Hopefully you'll find some inspiration.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:05 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chiynita View Post
This is a place for people struggling and looking for recovery. Wouldnt be much point to this place if everyone was clean and sober and all rainbows and lollipops. Now would it?
Brilliant!!! Something we should all remember.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:34 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
6/20/08

I didn't start posting on SR until I was about sober 3 months...but I really, really wish I would have found it when I was drinking and thinking about quitting. Maybe I would have gotten my act together sooner.

Very interesting thread.