Notices

Detox Needed - Financial Assistance

Old 07-15-2009, 09:01 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

The county detox here cost $296 per day.
Anyone can go there.
They have nurses that monitor you and give you medication.
They also have a counsellor that spends some time with you and gives you his input as to what he feels is a good option for you when you are released.
They don't release you until your vitals are stabilized.
A few weeks later you will get a bill from the county.
If you are unable to pay the fees may be waived or a payment plan set up.
If one is available in your area, it is much cheaper than walking into ER.
And most of the staff are recovering alcoholics and are very understanding.
A three day stay is average and well worth the money to detox safely.
Money not spent on alcohol for a couple of months covers the bill.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:11 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I just found this for Sooooz and anyone else in the Bay Area:

Detox

As you continue to scroll down the page you will see there is a whole SLEW OF THEM!

Love and hugs,
Old 07-16-2009, 05:20 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

This comment/post may raise a few eyebrows but...

What makes anyone think detox should be free of charge?

Does anyone here volunteer to work in a detox for no pay?

How many people would go to detox, repeatedly, just for free food, shelter, and care?

When you have had the money did you ever pay for someone else's detox?

In my opinion, for other than emergency situations, there has to be a price for detox.

Great topic for discussion.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:31 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think detox should be available to everyone - that means there should be options for everyone, especially those who need it most - that means free options, or at least on a fair sliding scale.

Detox may save someones life.
I don't know I'd like to put a price on someones life

and personally, I don't see the need to divert a helpful thread like this.

D
Old 07-16-2009, 06:09 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Tommy there are several men in the rooms in my area that are now useful members of society in general as well as AA that may very well have died years ago if they had not had a charitable detox available.

People should not die from diseases mental or physical simply due to a lack of money imho.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:44 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
The best detox, in 2009, is medically supervised.
I completely agree. I feel no need to defend this practice. But, it is done, and it's one of the tools used for those without other options.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:08 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

You can do what I did with no insurance. Go to a walk in clinic, see the doctor, go fill your prescription. In ABQ, Smith's and Wal Mart have $4 prescriptions for no insurance. Then, find someone you trust, because you shouldn't trust yourself, to help administer the prescriptions.

My detox was $95 for the doctor, and $20 for the two prescriptions. The Librium was $16 because it's a controlled substance. I did it at my parents house and my father took control of the pills.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:09 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I agree wholeheartedly with D and Taz. Everyone should be able to detox safely, regardless of their ability to pay.

My brother is still out there, and in an effort to give him some options, since he is broke, I called a local rehab that there is no way he could ever afford, and they told me about several different options available for him, in his neck of the woods.

Most people at rehab centers are there because they care and they want to help. If you have a local rehab that is out of your league financially, give them a call anyway.

Great thread.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:57 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Tommy K~
It's funny (sad) that you always show up to spoil our threads. What is it with you? We are looking for support and hope, not looking for handouts. I really wish you would invest your energies in something helpful rather than trying to make us all feel worse than we already do. This is a very good thread and may very well save some lives. Once we are clean and clear, I have no doubt that many of us will move on to useful and productive positions in society. And I for one would be more than happy to help someone detox for free if I knew that they were suffering. You have no idea how helpful this thread was to me last night. Why spoil it by being so critical and negative?
Old 07-16-2009, 08:07 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

BTW Tommy I am not a bleeding heart liberal, but I do care about my fellow man.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:19 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I find it VERY understandable that my recent post was mis-understood. I expected it.

Note that anyone who is in need of emergency services detox will receive these services through the emergency room - emergency detox.

My most recent post addresses those who simply desire detox, for non-emergency purposes, possibly time after time after time.

It is my sincerest wish that each and every person desiring detox be provided detox at no cost - free of charge. Our world is twisted, inhumane, and unfair in that people cannot receive the services they need, but realistically - I can understand WHY detox simply cannot be free for all upon request. Life on life's terms, it matters not what TommyK or anyone else wants or thinks.

I donate money for those in need, I support free services. But I realize that everyone seeking free detox upon request simply can't receive these services - there's not enough to go around is there?

SoosieQ - "It's funny (sad) that you always show up to spoil our threads..."... my first sponsee died, he's dead. He's never coming back. I continually ask myself why death has to spoil someone's life, spoil other people's day, and spoil things in general. I love you SoosieQ, and I sincerely hope you succeed in surviving this terrible, deadly disease, and I'm going to do what I can to share my experience strength, and hope to save lives. I'm not here to enjoy the thread. Alcoholism is a matter of life & death for me and my sponsees... not a matter of 'enjoying a thread on a website'.

I speak from the heart and I'd like to suggest that those who aren't prepared for the truth, reality, and life on life's terms, as I share it, please put me on block.

I'd love to see everyone who ever requests detox services at any time receive them free of charge - that is indeed how things should be. The world is wrong for not making these services available for everyone.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:55 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I'd like to see legislation passed where the price of alcohol is doubled (or more) so that detox and rehab services CAN be provided for free or little cost for those in need.

Enough people have died from alcohol! Detox is deadly serious - don't take it lightly!

Sorry I take the subject so seriously but I've seen enough death & destruction due to alcohol.

No offense, just a personal observation... I am shocked that anyone would come here to enjoy a thread on a subject as deadly as detox. We truly become de-sensitized to the deady aspects of this disease when we enjoy conversing about it. Once again, no offense.

Last edited by tommyk; 07-16-2009 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:35 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

No offense, just a personal observation... I am shocked that anyone would come here to enjoy a thread on a subject as deadly as detox. We truly become de-sensitized to the deady aspects of this disease when we enjoy conversing about it. Once again, no offense.[/QUOTE]

I do not want to sabotage this thread because I feel that it is doing a lot of good for many people who are suffering. The very reason this thread was started was to empower those who are searching, maybe even crying out in desperation for some sort of support.

No one is coming here because they enjoy where they are or want to get some kind of kicks out of reading these threads. No one is taking this lightly. In fact, if you read back through the thread you'll see that people are kindhearted enough to take time to help one another out.

There is nothing funny about detox, and I seriously doubt anyone goes to the hospital for the *free* food. I am just hoping we can keep these threads real, genuine and supportive. After all, that's why we're all here.