Notices

Feeling Uncomfortable

Old 06-25-2009, 05:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Feeling Uncomfortable

I've been feeling "uncomfortable" posting here for the last couple of days. I had a slip, relapse, whatever you want to call it. Basically I chose to get drunk Tuesday night, obviously a bad idea. It has not spun me out of control, thankfully. I physically felt like crap yesterday, probably a good thing, but I pushed myself hard physically, spending 6 hours washing, hand waxing and detailing the heck out of my fathers Tahoe. (Damn that thing is big!!)

I guess I'm questioning what advice I can/should offer to newcomers when my house is really not in order. I posted about the incident on my "home" forum, Secular Connections http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-do-again.html if anyone cares to read further about it.

BTW, I'm not feeling sorry for myself or anything, I'm just not sure if I'm in the right place to offer advice to anyone, especially newbies, if I'm still having problems staying sober. Anyway, I'm doing well today, have another job interview, and have no intentions of drinking, just for today. Thanks for listening.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Tyler,

I'm glad you're back on track.

I think that it is good to share your experience. Recovery is not easy and we learn something each and every day.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Why not simply say "Hi and Welcome'?

Hi again.....Welcome!
Old 06-25-2009, 06:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Beating this demon for GOOD

Tyler, (((HUGS)))....we're all in this together.....and "what Carol said!"

Hi again and welcome!!!!!
Old 06-25-2009, 06:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There aren't any prerequisites for helping newcomers feel comfortable or offering them ideas. Just reaching out gives others the chance to reach back. I'm glad you posted this. Thanks.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Location: Here's me. but when drinking could be found in doorways!
Hey...
I dont know if its so much as giving advice as sharing our experiences.... people can take what they need/want from it....
I took quite abit from what you wrote on the other forum.... We can only tell eachother what we did....
I also think when we have had our slip/relapse whatever you want to call it and come through the other side stronger is when we give our best imput to this site and others (imo) because the pain is still raw.... when we write it shows through so obviously and i for one dont want to feel like that again... IT REMINDS ME...
So thankyou for coming back, staying strong and sharing...
Your advice/imput/sharing has helped me today

be wll
louis
Old 06-25-2009, 06:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tyler View Post
I had a slip, relapse, whatever you want to call it. Basically I chose to get drunk Tuesday night, obviously a bad idea. It has not spun me out of control, thankfully.
Hi Tyler! I did the same thing Tuesday night, those words all ring true for me as well.

Originally Posted by tyler View Post
I guess I'm questioning what advice I can/should offer to newcomers when my house is really not in order.
If it was a requirement that everyone be perfectly in order before posting than I expect this would be a quiet forum It was helpful to me to hear that someone else is in the same place I am in. The sharing of experience, positive and negative, is just as helpful as advice and direction.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thentram View Post
The sharing of experience, positive and negative, is just as helpful as advice and direction.
I agree, obviously you don't want to be drinking at all but if you slipped and share it you are sharing your experiences and people can relate.

I understand what you mean though, as a relapser I feel the same way.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thentram View Post
If it was a requirement that everyone be perfectly in order before posting than I expect this would be a quiet forum
LOL. And a pretty intimidating one, I would think.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Welcome back..

Ya know sometimes we go from being helpful, to needing some help (lord knows I've spent time on both sides of that fence a LOT)... and that's what we're all here for.

I'm glad you posted again!
Old 06-25-2009, 08:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Thanks for all the support guys!! As I mentioned in my post on the SC forum, even before I took the frist drink, I sat and looked at my computer, knowing that all I had to do was come on here and I would get great support and someone would "level me out". I guess probably I was afraid that would happen and spoil my little party!!

I'll try to learn from this and try to follow the urge to post instead of the urge to drink next time. I'm glad that some of my posts have helped others. Being of an addict mindset I tend to view things rather selfishly and usually look upon the things I post as helping myself more than others. I'm working on that aspect of myself, but if I can do both, I guess that is a win/win situation.

Thanks again SR peeps. I'll stick and stay.