Notices

Decided to be sober as of today

Old 06-24-2009, 10:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Decided to be sober as of today

Hi everyone. My name is Todd and I'm new to SR. I've been questioning my drinking habit a lot in the last 6 months and have finally decided to do everything I can to commit to a life of sobriety. I've tried superficially to control my drinking over the past few months, but after waking up hungover this morning after a night when I lost the ability to refuse a pint it's become clear that control will not suffice. Abstinence, while a real bummer when talking about sex, is the only solution for me in regards to drinking.

As far as background information on me: I'm 26 years old. I've been drinking since about 18. I come from a family history of alcohol addiction on my mother's side and much, much harder stuff from my dad. I've never had any severe consequences from my drinking, but that's only because I've been exceedingly lucky. I can't even count the number of times I've driven home from a bar knowing full well I had no business behind the wheel. That leads to guilt and shame to accompany my headache the next morning, yada yada yada. I'm sure you're all familiar with that old tune.

So that's it. I'm glad to be here and look forward to using activity on the boards to help maintain.

~Todd
Old 06-24-2009, 10:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Todd.

I use SR as my support. Its great
I think you'll find lots of help advice and information here
D
Old 06-24-2009, 11:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Sounds like you're in a great place Todd, welcome to SR!
Old 06-25-2009, 02:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
13 May 2009

Welcome to SR you sound like you are a lot smarter than me it took me a lot longer and a bigger damage bill to get to SR and it hs been a massive support. I think when I first joined Tazman offered me the best advice when he asked me what my plan was? Its the wisest advice anyone has every asked me, what it your plan and how do you hope to maintain your sobriety?? Welcome to SR!
Old 06-25-2009, 02:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR :ghug I wish I had this resource when I was your age, you have your life to live for. Stay with us & stay close... we are here with you :-)

NB
Old 06-25-2009, 03:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR Todd.
and have finally decided to do everything I can to commit to a life of sobriety.
For me this was crucial, I had to be willing to do what ever it took to get and STAY sober!

Stopping drinking if you have not progressed to the physical addiction part yet is not that hard, I did it over and over again for a lot of years. Of course I always wound up drinking again because all I ever did was just stop drinking....... nothing else, no program, no support system, just my own will power and being an alcoholic I always wound up drinking again. I did this right up until I crossed the invisible line into being physically addicted to alcohol. Once I crossed that line I drank even though I did not want to drink. For the last 5 years of my drinking I did not draw a single sober breath.

I had to be medically detoxed which under medical supervision is not horrible physically, the mental part is a bear even with the meds they were giving me.

At the end of 5 days I was physically sober, but then began the really hard part....... STAYING STOPPED!!!!

In detox they told me if I wanted a chance at staying sober I needed to go to at least 90 AA meetings in 90 days and get a sponsor.

Well when I got out of detox it was everything in my will power just to drive home without grabbing a 12 pack for the drive home! My mind screamed for a drink at the exact same time my mind was also screaming at me to not drink!!!!

Well I was willing to do what ever it took to stay sober and since I had no idea how to stay sober I was willing to follow the suggestion of the folks in detox and I went to the very first available AA meeting the day I got out of detox and asked a guy to be my sponsor.

If you are really willing to do what ever it takes to stay sober why do it alone? Why not go to 5 or 6 different AA meetings?

What do you have to lose? Some time drinking?

What do you have to gain? Possibly a new and wonderful life sober and full of new sober friends.

Why not go to 90 meetings in 90 days, if you don't like AA and decide that drinking may be worth another go you will have saved a ton of money for a damn fine drunk! LOL
Old 06-25-2009, 03:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Tod,
Congrats on your decision to have a life of sobriety. Doing it while you're young is such a wise decision. Taz has brought up some really good points. I also was one who could not do it alone. Having a recovery program has been an instrumental part of my recovery. Today SR is also an important part of my recovery. Please continue to post and let us know how you are doing.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Glad you're here Todd and Welcome.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

What a wise decision Todd Congratulations!
Welcome to SR
Old 06-25-2009, 07:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good decision! Control will not suffice for me either, it always ends up the same way. I too plan to do whatever it takes, its just a matter of figuring out just what the "whatever" implies. I have, however, figured out that doing it on my own is not in the equation.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Welcome
Old 06-25-2009, 07:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Glad you're here!
Old 06-25-2009, 09:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Heathen

Welcome!!
Old 06-25-2009, 09:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Todd! I too drank yesterday and I had 11 days sober, im so pissed off at myself. Well, we soon will have 1 day.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome Todd and congrats on your decision to get sober. Take it one day at a time and remind yourself constantly of the benefits of staying sober. Have you thought of giving AA a try? Lots of advice and hope in those rooms. Whatever you do, I wish you the best.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:49 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Hello and welcome to the SR community.
Please feel free to keep coming back no matter what.