Notices

Going to try active recovery

Old 06-25-2009, 07:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face Going to try active recovery

Good Morning,

The other day I read over my first post and realized that despite a 4 month stretch of sobriety and a lot of SR lurking I really haven't made much progress over the last couple years. Just about every word in that introduction still holds true today. I am lucky in that I've still managed to avoid a lot of the "yets", but I do see that those are only avoidable for so long. During my active drinking periods I've definitely upped my consumption and its definitely taken its toll on my mentally and physically.

Nothing changes if nothing changes right?

Well, lets take a look at what hasn't worked so far:
  1. Not drinking
  2. Substituting healthier activities
  3. Lurking on SR

Aside from the initial 4 month stretch the above has really only help me string together some 1-2 weeks of sobriety here and there. It seems that none of those tools above help me avoid that first drink or the relapse thinking.

I guess its time to up my participation. I realize now that I can't do this alone (wow, thats a hard thing to type). I've been reading through the BB over the last few days and a lot of it has rang true for me. While I don't currently plan to attend AA in my area (I have not ruled this out as something I will never do, anything it takes right?), I do plan on working through a program online and connecting with people who have achieved active recovery. I definitely understand the difference now between working and not working a program. I do not plan to make SR my only resource, but I do hope it plays a big part.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi, and thank everyone for all the info and support. I may have only been lurking, but this site has been a HUGE resource of information and inspiration over the last couple years.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I am glad that you are continuing to work on your recovery.

I hope you find something that works for you.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Sounds like a good plan! Hopefully one of those things that doesnt work, "not drinking" will soon work for you!

Welcome back.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

We are all so different, so is our recovery. You will find something that works for you, just keep looking!
Old 06-25-2009, 08:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

We're glad you're here. I think you show a lot of personal growth already in realizing that sobriety alone is not the answer. That is a positive step.

I lurked here for a while also, it was my style. Standoffish, evaluating the situation. I have learned it was one of my ism's (alcoholism). I was isolating.

One of the most valuable tools in my sobriety is my brain. I learned that from some friends here at SR. I am one of those that got sober with my brain, not a program. I found this link at SR extremely helpful in learning how I had become addicted to alcohol:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

That book and it's followup (beyond the influence) are an excellent resource. I studied all I could on alcoholism and addiction. I was making progress. Then I realized I needed more than sobriety to learn to live my life according to life's terms. I needed to develop coping skills. My old coping mechanism of looking through the bottom of a bottle had left me emotionally immature. I reacted to situations instead of responding in a healthy manner. I started looking for more answers.

I have attended some AA meetings, as well as attending Al Anon. I also read lots of self-help books, meditate, excercise and do yoga. It takes what it takes. It is a process and a journey worth traveling!

Congratualtions on your sobriety and your awakening!
Old 06-25-2009, 10:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

i hope that you keep moving forward with your desire for a better way of life.

Please feel free to pm me if i can be of any assistance to you & your recovery.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your support! I've learned so much over the last couple years, but am excited to finally realize that the piece I've been missing has been the doing.

Thank you Wolfchild for the offer. One of the reasons I've failed in the past has been not acting when recognizing the warning signs. One of my first goals is to develop (and actively maintain) a network of friends I can contact when I once again see an oncoming relapse.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Welcome.

Maybe make some lifestyle changes too, because if nothing changes...

... nothing changes, right...?

Old 06-25-2009, 11:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tommyk View Post
Welcome.

Maybe make some lifestyle changes too, because if nothing changes...

... nothing changes, right...?

Hi Tommy,

Yes, I've been thinking about this as well. I think the #1 think I can do for myself in this regard is to change my evening routine. I'd say about 95% of my drinking was done alone and at night. One of my personal goals has been to start waking up earlier and getting more done in the mornings.

Does anyone have other examples of lifestyle changes that have helped them? Exercise has always been part of my life (when I'm not drinking), so it will be nice to get that one back.