Notices

What do you find a "natural rush" in sobriety?

Old 06-22-2009, 05:20 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I enjoy watching my dogs living their wonderful lives and it pleases me to take such good care of them, something that wasn't guaranteed when drinking.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:27 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

My rush is simple.
1) Waking up in the morning without a hangover and having a clear mind.
2) Not having to cancel plans with friends because I am too drunk or hungover to attend.
3) Doing physical activity that I was unable to do before, such as bike riding and swimming.
4) showing up to work on time; With a shaven face, pressed shirt, eyes that aren't bloodshot, and a good attitude

I was always "sleeping it off" the next day and missed out on so much.

Last edited by spiker; 06-22-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:50 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by spiker View Post
My rush is simple.
1) Waking up in the morning without a hangover and having a clear mind.
2) Not having to cancel plans with friends because I am too drunk or hungover to attend.
3) Doing physical activity that I was unable to do before, such as bike riding and swimming.
4) showing up to work on time; With a shaven fave, pressed shirt, eyes that aren't bloodshot, and a good attitude

I was always "sleeping it off" the next day and missed out on so much.
Nice, a lot of things can be a rush when sober... even the simple things.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:51 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

MUSIC MUSIC MUSIC MUSIC
something soft...but not TOO soft helps me. the Kooks. U2. Franz Ferdinand. all good
Old 06-23-2009, 07:04 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Soft & Silky & Manageable

Singing, dancing, exercise, public speaking, helping out a fellow human being .. to name a few. Oh + wrestling with my kitty.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:57 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Running
feeling so well and alive in the mornings
Playing
awareness of my body
living spritually
Old 06-23-2009, 05:26 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

guitar, skateboarding, live shows, sex, watching sports if my teams are doing well which the yankees are not at the moment! lol bummer
Old 06-30-2009, 05:45 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I had such a great day yesterday and tday. And knew I wanted to share about it in this particular thread.

Yesterday I was so exhausted from the super busy weekend at work. When I got home I went through some serious drama about my grams in TX and my cousin down there being a comelete a$$ and treating my grams bad. Talkin **** to her and lieing to her about things when her brother is in ICU possibly never to wake up again. The woman refused to give my gram her brothers keys to his car and house. So now where is she suppose to stay? Went into my grams purse and took my uncles phone away from her. Lied to her about dumb **** and told my gram she was going to have her removed from the hospital She is staying at a Ronald Mcdonald type house right now. And my cousin told then they offered to let my gram stay with them but she refused so now they arent lettign her stay for free or feeding her for free. What a F*&%ing B*(*&! Scuse the language but there just arent any other words for that. But my other uncle sent her $200 I gave her $70 before she left and my cousins XH who is stayin with us gave her $50 and her my uncles EW gave her $50. My cousin started an arguemnt over who gets what of my uncles and thats how it all started. My grams could care less about tht. She is worried about ehr brother. And I am sorry to say. But I was so raging mad yesterday..And I hate it when I am so far away and helpless to do anything. But at the same time its a good thing. Cause the way I get. I def would make it wose and end up in jail. Dont mess with ym gram. I swear on everything that I love I will hurt someone over my gram. My aunt was the voice of reason and calmed me down. I was about to take my money to fix my van a jump a plane to TX. But she talked me down and took care of all that mess on our end. She spoke without being a hot head but made it real clear they better back off.
Anyway. My grams is good now. She has somewhere to stay and food to eat and people are helping her.

Anyway. After I calmed down my uncle asked me if I wanted to go fishing with him and my cousin. I was like sure. We got there and theres this little pond thing on the other side of the lakje. I swear as soon as I droppped my hook I had a sunny. I must have caught 4 fish in like 5 mins. But it was just nice to hang witht the fam and do something liek that. Even my uncle said today he had fun vecause I never do things like that with them. Mostly because I sue to be messed up or feeling too guilty about getting high to do anything. It didnt cost a thing except 2.50 for worms and the time spent was priceless. Then we went to my cousins house to do some animal rescue. She has some baby rabbits in a burrow on the side of her house and she needed to do someithng so the dog wouldnt get them. We sat there and watched the kids jump on the trampoline. What a riot they are. They were giggling and laughing and it was just awesome watching them.
Today we had our weekly family dinner at my aunts. Then we made homemade sundaes. All the kids were ther. I even helped cook and did the dishes for once. LOL. My uncle was hovering while I was coooking the rice a roni. I was liek I got it. LOL I may never cook but It doesnt mean I dont know how. LOL. I also grilled a steak and made myself a nice dinner last night before we went fishing. Its going to be a great summer poeple. Not getting high and spending real quality time with my family is all it takes. I did control my rage to the point I didnt react yesterday and that took alot. I wuld ahve at least called my cousin and cussed her out and threatened her any other time. I dont really know this cousin. but she would have gotten to know me real fast. But I did good and with the help of my aunt. I kept it under control.
I am so grateful for my family. And the feelings I get just by being around them will never compare to any drug. Thx for letting me share.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:35 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

waking up in the am with a clear mind, sitting and enjoying my coffe with no guilt, anxiety, or hangover. and knowing whatever i want to do today, i can actually do.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:45 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Mornings, being able to appreciate the morning calm; hanging out with my 3 yr old grandson; playing with my dog
Old 07-01-2009, 08:04 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Today I find little things and big things to be a rush in sobriety.

A hug from my grandkids.

The weather.

A clear head.

A lack of fear.

Laughter.

The twinkle in another alcoholics eye when I see they are getting it.

Being alone and at peace with myself and the world.

Simply being sober.

Sitting in the woods just watching the world go by.

Fishing whether I am catching something or not.

Hunting whether I get something or not.

Nature as a whole.

Life in general.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:09 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Falling asleep, instead of passing out. Waking up, instead of coming to. Remembering the night before AND not thinking, holey ****!

Drinking makes such fools of people, and people are such fools to begin with, that it's compounding a felony. ~Robert Benchley
Old 07-01-2009, 08:11 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
it's a movie, you're the star

For me, I get a really big natural high from exercising - specifically running. Directly after I run I feel empowered, and physically unbeatable! It's fantabulous

Laughing is another big natural high - and I mean almost on the verge of tears laughter!

I also maintain an all day natural rush from a certain boy I talk to. And, when I hear his voice, it's honestly even better than any high I've ever had..
Old 07-01-2009, 08:13 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

swimming, weightlifting and music
Old 07-01-2009, 02:11 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
TC MI

waking up sober always puts a smile on my face..
Old 07-02-2009, 04:58 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Absolutely agree with running and working out. Whenever I am finished, such a feeling of accomplishment. Also playing my meager music and then people actually saying it sounded ok.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:34 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Right now I'm experiencing a rush. I'm sitting on a deck in the White Mountains of New Hampshire watching the sun rise over North and Middle Sugarloaf Mountains. As the fog clears and the sun shines through, I can see the peak of North Sugarloaf.

Two days ago I climbed to that peak. I'm 49 years old, overweight, diabetic, and asthmatic, yet I somehow wheezed my way to the top. It was awesome!

My two kids (Sheila 4, and Liam 2) and wife are sleeping soundly back in the motel. I've been sober 4,913 days now (yes I checked this morning) and sobriety never ceases to amaze me.

Back to boston later today. Life is good.

Mike