Notices

New and really need advice!

Old 06-10-2009, 08:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New and really need advice!

Well very quickly i have been drinking about a bottle of rye every 2 days for just over a year, i stopped even wanting to drink about a month ago, seriously i hate the way it makes me feel it sickens me now, i smell boose and literally my stomach turns, i dont even crave it anymore on a consious level anyhow, BUT i have been forcing myself literally to keep drinking about the same, sometime less, sometimes more, for a month now, because im terrified of withdrawl, i wont take a drug to help with dt's.. i refuse, i wondered, if i went down to just 2 or 3 drinks a day then slowly cut it out from there would that help dt's? Seen as how actually wanting or needing the boose isnt a problem, seriously if the world ran outta boose id be fine, i just wondered if cutting down may help.

Im just curious could everyone tell me the length of time they drank and how much, and how bad their dts were, cause im terrified it will be horrific or cause death.

anyone else in the same amount range or length as me, telling me about it withdrawl would be good too.

thanks so much
Old 06-10-2009, 08:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Please see a doctor.

Please be VERY open to their suggestions/recommendations.

Keep coming back.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

***This is not medical advice. Please see a doctor for your medical questions. I am not a doctor and have absolutely no medical training****

That being said, I will tell you about my personal experience and relate some of the information I have found via the web. First, personally, I could never had tapered myself out of withdrawal with alcohol. I am confused as to why you wouldn't let a qualified medical provider give you medication to safely withdraw. Most of the time, its not a complicated process and can be done with minimal medication. 5 to 7 days on a tapered dose of a benzo is not that big a deal. Plus, most folks need the detox to be supervised. You need to make sure that you don't have serious complications with seizures, heart problems, blood pressure, etc... But, some people don't have serious withdrawal symptoms/problems, unlike me. My advice is to talk HONESTLY with a qualified doctor if, when you stop drinking, the withdrawal gets really bad.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have hide my problem from my husband all this time, if i go see a doctor he will find out, like i said i honestly could care less if i ever drank again, im having my usual rye and coke now and i have to hold my breath to swollow it cause im repulsed. so the need and want is gone, i know i should see a doc for withdrawl but i cant risk it.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

See a doctor and be totally honest, detoxing from alcohol can kill unless done under medical supervision.

I had to be medically detoxed, it was not bad at all, I tried for years to wean myself off of the booze and faileed hundreds of times, I found that for this alcoholic when it comes to drinking it is all or nothing that worked for me.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sweet30 View Post
I have hide my problem from my husband all this time, if i go see a doctor he will find out, like i said i honestly could care less if i ever drank again, im having my usual rye and coke now and i have to hold my breath to swollow it cause im repulsed. so the need and want is gone, i know i should see a doc for withdrawl but i cant risk it.
I don't know how old you are, but you cannot keep drinking a bottle of rye everyday for the rest of your life. It will kill you. You can bet on it. And I am assuming that a "bottle" means a fifth or 750 ml. Trust me, that is way too much to consume everyday or really any day for that matter. In the U.S., we have a body of law called HIPPA. HIPPA prevents the disclosure of any medical information without authorization to any one accept the patient. I would be really surprised if Canada did not have something similar. If its insurance covered, your husband doesn't have to know [I]why[I] you went to the doctor. Tell him you had a tummy ache or something. I hate to advise being deceptive to your husband, but the situation is dire. Do what you have to do, your health and your life is on the line.

Last edited by Benjamin33; 06-10-2009 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Its more i cant hide a percrisption from him, i mean thats not easy to do, is there no way i can do it alone?
Old 06-10-2009, 09:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

When I was drinking I used to think I was fooling everyone, I wasn't! You do not have to do this alone, there is a solution that has worked for me and hundreds of thousands of other alcoholics, but in order for it to work one has to be brutally honest with them selfs and politely honest with others.

The truth set me free and it can set you free also.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Its more i cant hide a percrisption from him, i mean thats not easy to do, is there no way i can do it alone?
First off, the doctor you see may not give you a prescription. That would be an outpatient detox, and many doctors won't do that because of the possibility that you won't take the medicine as prescribed. I know that I wouldn't have.

Next, if the doctor did prescribe a medication, you could tell him that it was for anxiety. The meds prescribed in detox are prescribed to millions of people with anxiety. The medication is by no means detox specific.

Besides, how in the world would taking a doctor prescribed pill everyday be worse than drinking a freaking bottle of whiskey everyday. Does he not know that you drink as much as you do?
Old 06-10-2009, 09:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Heathen

Sometimes when we just let it go and come clean with our loved ones about how scary and crazy our drinking is, it finally gives us some relief and final permission to be done for good. I bet if your husband loves you much, he not only knows you drink too much, but also wishes you wouldn't. I was afraid to admit the amount of my drinking to anyone, because I knew once I did, it would expose what I was doing, and be much harder for me to continue. But once I didn't want it to continue anymore.. telling my sig other was a relief, and I really really wanted and needed his support.

Or you can keep drinking.

I hope you see a doctor.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well im drinking a bottle of Rye it last me 2 days, Im not working right now so i get up when my hub goes to work and start drinking about 9am, and drink until noon then go sleep it off for when he is home, then at night after he goes to bed, and is asleep i have more. So its not to hard to pass off, plus we both enjoy a beer on the weekends, sometimes on a weekday so. I am going to cut down, i only had 2 Rye and Coke today as apposed to my 11 or 12... and i Dont want anymore, at all, but if i can keep it at 2 for a few weeks, then go down to one, im hopeing any withdrawl i experience is mild. IF i start to feel like its become severe then i will for for goto the doctors... i really appreciate everyones feed back, but no ones told me what side effects the experienced yet lol.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

The only reason you are not coming clean to those around you is because you are not done drinking yet. Doing it in private is a great reason to NOT admit failure when you relapse. Tell someone close to you so that you can be more responsible for your actions. If you are only accountable to yourself, the disease will win every time. Good luck.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

hello.i drank alcoholicaly for 20 yrs with not much of a rest in that time.when i had my last drink on jan the 1st i was going to go to the dr the next day for medication.it was a friday and also a local holiday,,so no doctors,,i started withdrawels on my own and if it was to get too bad i would have taken myself to the local hospital (10 miles away). for 3 nights i couldnt sleep and had the feelings of spiders on my skin,like a crawling sensation,plus itching,and i was hearing things constantly.i had sweats,sickness and diarioha (sp!!!),i had shakes and dry heaving.hhhmmmm,have i missed anything out? cant remember,what i have just listed is bad enough anyway.do you still want to avoid the drs??? i was lucky and mananged this on my own,,very lucky! seek medical advice and also i think your hubby may know more than you think.even if he dosnt its maybe time to bite the bullet,hes not going to be mad at you for wanting to get better! honesty is key in getting well.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well, I will give you my experience for all it's worth. It is not medical advice just what I went through. I was drinking 750ml of vodka every day and a half. Had been to the dr. a few times and he always told me that I have to quit or die. Finally I was so sick and tired of being sick and tired and wanted to see my youngest get out of high school from earth not heaven (I hope I am going there someday!) That being said I had been drinking only beer which is not my favorite for about two days before I quit, so I am sure I was taking less in than normal. Then I woke up one day with the usual shakes that I knew alcohol could take away. The dr. had prescribed me a prescription for withdrawls with STRICT instructions to go straight to the er with symptoms of more than shaking. I also was hugging toilet for a few days. Very shaky for about two or so then it got a little better each day. I didn't tell my SO until I was into it for two days but other people I know were on standby if I had to go in quickly. I won't lie, it sucked but after about four to five days I began to feel normal. I could eat, my skin stopped being so sensitve and crawly and the shakes minimized greatly. I still sometimes get night sweats but that could be pre-menopause too! But at least TALK TO YOUR DR. Only he/she knows whats best in your situation. Best of luck and feel free to pm me if you have any more questions. Sorry this is so long.....
Old 06-10-2009, 01:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

I drank between a half bottle and a bottle of vodka every day for years.

I've had the shakes so bad I needed 2 hands sometimes to get the drink poured and the glass to my lips.

I stopped drinking just over a year ago and with the support of the people here I am still sober.

I kept it to myself and made it through.

The withdrawels will probably be hard, although you may be suprised and find they are not as bad as you fear, they normally only last 3/4 days as well, and the good news is that if you do it right you only have to go through it once.

Stop drinking and see how things go, you will feel anxious, sick, you'll probably struggle to sleep, you might shake, this WILL all pass though and you'll start to feel better.

Taking a drink will only make your recovery take longer.

You worry about your husband finding out, better he finds out your trying to recover though than comes home one night to find you slumped on the floor with a bottle, which will happen eventually.

Above all be safe though, don't take any risks, contact your doctor prefrebly before you start as people have suggested, but if you start alone be prepared to shout for help if you need it.

Good luck, keep us posted how your doing.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well im drinking a bottle of Rye it last me 2 days, Im not working right now so i get up when my hub goes to work and start drinking about 9am, and drink until noon then go sleep it off for when he is home, then at night after he goes to bed, and is asleep i have more. So its not to hard to pass off, plus we both enjoy a beer on the weekends, sometimes on a weekday so. I am going to cut down, i only had 2 Rye and Coke today as apposed to my 11 or 12... and i Dont want anymore, at all, but if i can keep it at 2 for a few weeks, then go down to one, im hopeing any withdrawl i experience is mild. IF i start to feel like its become severe then i will for for goto the doctors... i really appreciate everyones feed back, but no ones told me what side effects the experienced yet lol.

I am reluctant to tell you about withdrawal because I don't want that to deter you from stopping drinking. On the other hand, it might convince you to go see a doctor if you do end up stopping and having serious withdrawals so here goes.

First, a brief search on the web will give you all you really need to know about alcohol withdrawal. I misread your first post. For some reason, I was thinking that you were drinking a bottle a day. A half bottle a day is not as bad as I thought. Anyway, remember that not everyone has serious withdrawal symptoms. It is totally dependent on the individual. Personally, after around 6 hours after my last drink, I started too feel really weird. Then, my skin becomes hypersensitive. Everything hurts. Then I start to feel a feeling that I can only describe as tripping. If you have ever taken LSD, then you will know what I am talking about. Then seizures. In short, misery. Blood pressure really high and heart rate through the roof. That is why it is so important that you see a doctor if your symptoms get bad. You will know, trust me. Around 20% of those who experience DT's die. Its serious. Treat it that way.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You have a choice. You can continue drinking with all the attendant excuses as to why you can't see a doctor, why you can't let your husband know etc. etc. etc. Let me tell you something, slowly weaning yourself off of alcohol won't work. There are a lot of people on this site that will attest to that. So if you continue along this path you're going to either end up in a mental institution or or you're going to die very young. Your other option is to end this foolish charade right now. Tell your husband what's going on and tell him you need help. Then get to a doctor and let the doctor know what'd happening.

I know you're looking for a description of detox, but it varies with everyone. It can run from no reaction at all to severe dt's requiring hospitalization. Alcohol withdrawal can be fatal. That's why we recommend you see a doctor. Why you're drinking while hating to drink, and why you're trying to hide your drinking but also a recovery from it, it a bit baffling. But that's your business. You're in a situation from which there's no easy way out. But until you face up to it and are willing to go through any steps to get well, there's not much we can help you with.