Notices

Eat/Drink to help withdrawl? day after quitting?

Old 06-10-2009, 09:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Eat/Drink to help withdrawl? day after quitting?

Hey guys,

Stupidly I tried to drink lightly a couple weeks ago with some friends then the plan was to stop again, that never happened and I've been spending the last week trying to ween myself off alcohol again.

I stopped drinking last night at 9 (drank 5 beers spread out over the entire day trying to reduce withdrawl.) I was wide awake at 1am shaking and have been throwing up constantly ever since (the usual routine.)

I need to try to eat something and drink something. I read I should avoid dairy products and coffee and junk food.

Can I have a protien shake, or, take anything like mylanta or pepto? Should I just stick to water and crystal light? What about diet soda? For food should I just go with fruit?

Thanks guys.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Personally, I couldn't keep down or even think about eating. Water, Water, and more water! By day 3-4 fruit tasted good and slowly have gotten back to being normally hungry. I was more afraid of dehydration than starvation. I hope you feel better soon. I also could keep down very cold Gatorade which helps with electrolytes. Good Luck to you! This will pass soon even though it doesn't feel like it right now.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Drink as much gatorade as you can, they have the new one with less sugar. That is my advice. Sugar, coffee, starchy foods cause spikes and made it harder for me in my first days without a drink. Veggies are mellow and don't have as much sugar.

That is just what I found, may be different for you.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I found loads of cups of tea helped me but I have always drank quite a lot anyway. Everyone is differenct but water is the best bet at first to stop dehydration.

YNWA
Old 06-10-2009, 01:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Be careful about getting medical advice from non-doctors. I am not a doctor so the following is just from my own personal experience. Since you have only been drunk for a short time, much of this may not apply. But, you may need to take a B1 and folic acid supplement (B9) Also, be wary of drinking too much water. Don't get me wrong, you need to stay hydrated, but I drank tons and tons of water last time, and it probably led me to a potassium deficiency. At medical detox, they gave me EmergenC. Try some of that instead of just plain water. Also take a multivitiman
Old 06-10-2009, 02:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
IO Storm

What I did..was drink cold bubbly mineral water with a little lemon juice. I sipped on

it all day to stay hydrated and detox. I drank green tea in between. Scrambled eggs,

easy on the stomach foods are your best bet. Go lightly.

And I took mega B and C vitamins. They are water soluble and do not build up

in the system.

My best to you in your new start!
Old 06-10-2009, 02:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ben,

I was low on potassium last blood test before I quit and they told me it was from the drinking and how I wasn't getting enough potassium and with drinking my body wouldn't absorb it properly when I did get it. Never realized water could cause a potassium shortage. They prescribed potassium pills because the ones you get in the store have very little in them as it can be dangerous in too heavy of doses. I didn't take it for a few days while withdrawing and I still drink alot of water. I'll have to get it checked again soon since I don't want to have it in iv form again! That hurts.

Justsomeguy, You should have a blood test done first to check all your levels. Better to be safe!
Old 06-10-2009, 02:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Dismember

Eat what your body will let you eat. For me that was a lot of rice, a lot of eggs, nothing fancy. What do you eat when you're sick? You are sick, and your body needs nourishment now as much as ever. This is the time for your chicken noodle soup recipes. Vitamins and water are good.