Notices

I need some advice please

Old 06-09-2009, 08:26 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Just be you when, your out an about. You're an attractive lady. Your posts are always well thought out.

We're all equal in God's eyes. Hope, you can relieve your shyness by knowing, anything you have to say is just as important as what, anyone else has to say
Old 06-09-2009, 08:58 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Originally Posted by Toomutch View Post
I am not opposed to AA, I have just never thought it is a program for me. I have a higher power (God), whom I speak with everyday. I have no desire to drink, so why attend AA? Would the program help with social anxiety?
I believe so. There is a lot of understanding and compassion in AA. Check out a women's meeting. You will hear your story if you stick around long enough. If you stick close to the women with strong recovery, you will have a support system like you have never had before. I can not begin to tell you the miracles I have seen when one alcoholic woman helps another. (I am sure it happens with men too, I just can not speak for them). You will meet women with fibromyalgia. You will meet women that isolate for more than one year, etc., etc., etc. Give it a try! You will be welcomed and embraced.

The program has not been about learning not to drink for me. It has been about learning to live sober. To learn to walk with grace. To learn how to love myself. To learn how to be of service to others. I am learning how to be a good mother, a good wife, a good employee, a good neighbor, a good friend & a good person by living the 12 steps of AA. This has been MY experience.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:14 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

awesome toomuch....

keep up the good work.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:50 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by TTOSBT View Post
I believe so. There is a lot of understanding and compassion in AA. Check out a women's meeting. You will hear your story if you stick around long enough. If you stick close to the women with strong recovery, you will have a support system like you have never had before. I can not begin to tell you the miracles I have seen when one alcoholic woman helps another. (I am sure it happens with men too, I just can not speak for them). You will meet women with fibromyalgia. You will meet women that isolate for more than one year, etc., etc., etc. Give it a try! You will be welcomed and embraced.

The program has not been about learning not to drink for me. It has been about learning to live sober. To learn to walk with grace. To learn how to love myself. To learn how to be of service to others. I am learning how to be a good mother, a good wife, a good employee, a good neighbor, a good friend & a good person by living the 12 steps of AA. This has been MY experience.

Good reply

After going to my first meeting, I felt relieved. I had several people at the meeting I already knew.

For someone shy, a woman's meeting would be the meeting to attend for the first time
Old 06-10-2009, 07:26 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
6/20/08

I don't do so well in social situations, either.

I'm findind through sobriety that I am NOT alone. That right there has helped me.

Just yesterday I went and saw a friend I hadn't seen for a very long time. Kept it simple. Only stayed an hour...until the conversation started lagging, then I was out of there. I did it on my terms.

This sobriety stuff is an education in progress.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:33 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

toomuch,

I really appreciate your openness and honesty with your feelings. I think a lot of us have struggled with being comfortable with ourselves in social settings. I ,too , sometimes worry if people will like me or if I talked too much ect. At work I worry sometimes, if I make a mistake will my boss still want me to work there or is he unhappy with me. I think it might be some perfectionism which is not healthy!

I am glad you are living in the moment, just today. That is something I try to do everyday. Its when I get ahead ofmyself or over analyze things that I get all messed up.

jules67
Old 06-10-2009, 07:49 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I am thinking I may give AA another try. I will find a womens group because the open group I went to when I first became sober was an awful experience as some of you may remember.
I was trying to look up meeting in my area yesterday and couldn't find any that were close by. This was frustrating to me because I know there are meeting's within my area, I just couldn't find them. I looked on an AA website and I guess it was the wrong place to be looking. Any suggestions?
Old 06-10-2009, 08:08 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

(((grin)))

It'll only cost you a dollar and an hour. Won't even cost you a dollar if, you don't have one
Old 06-10-2009, 02:01 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

If you are happy with yourself, who cares what the others think. You can't control that.

And, there are lots of "others' who will enjoy your company.